Furious!! Ditching WP7 device ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually my private contacts were published to the internet. Anyone with a browser has the potential to log into "my account". Why is there no option to hide your contacts from everyone except yourself in the security options? I never used any Google services with my Android phone, yet it was fully-functional in every way.

I checked my Windows Live contacts. There's exactly ONE contact in there and it's ME. I set the account up just to use the phone, it hasn't pulled any information from my Outlook contacts or Facebook or Gmail or any of places I actually use.

I'm not sure where your contacts are "published" on the internet, maybe there is something I'm missing though. Is there a Windows Live homepage like Facebook that I'm not aware of that has all my contacts on it, free for anyone to see?

If not, then I'm not sure what your concern is. Do you not have a gmail or a hotmail account that anyone has the "potential" to log-in to and get contact information? Or do you keep all your contacts in a little black book in a safe deposit box?

I'm sorry to make light of this, it just sounds a bit like you might be overreacting.

Maybe sleep on it and see if you still feel like there was a horrendous violation of your privacy in the morning. If you do, then by all means go buy yourself an Android phone and side load your apps and do whatever you were doing before if that makes you feel more comfortable.

BackToAndroid

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I am going to call BS on you. Obviously you are just trying to troll. Obviously anyone can access your information if they log into your account, same with your bank account, library account, etc.

My point is: why do my personal phone numbers have to be listed and accessible on the internet? (and possibly viewable by "friends") My bank account has no internet access facility - try hacking that!

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps, but Android is the only one that's got rampant malware in their own marketplace and many IT departments don't allow Android devices. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't allow Blackberry and almost all allow iOS now too.

Rampant? Prove it. Many IT departments? Prove it.
If you're downloading "Special Chinese Sexyfuntime Stud Poker" you deserve all the malware you get.

WP7 doesn't even support Exchange fully.

BackToAndroid

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I checked my Windows Live contacts. There's exactly ONE contact in there and it's ME. I set the account up just to use the phone, it hasn't pulled any information from my Outlook contacts or Facebook or Gmail or any of places I actually use.

I'm not sure where your contacts are "published" on the internet, maybe there is something I'm missing though. Is there a Windows Live homepage like Facebook that I'm not aware of that has all my contacts on it, free for anyone to see?

If not, then I'm not sure what your concern is. Do you not have a gmail or a hotmail account that anyone has the "potential" to log-in to and get contact information? Or do you keep all your contacts in a little black book in a safe deposit box?

I'm sorry to make light of this, it just sounds a bit like you might be overreacting.

Maybe sleep on it and see if you still feel like there was a horrendous violation of your privacy in the morning. If you do, then by all means go buy yourself an Android phone and side load your apps and do whatever you were doing before if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Go to the "Hotmail" tab and click contacts. Any phone number you add to your phone will be listed there. Any you remove will be removed from your device.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My point is: why do my personal phone numbers have to be listed and accessible on the internet? (and possibly viewable by "friends") My bank account has no internet access facility - try hacking that!

I guarantee that your bank has internet access = they can be hacked and get your info. Face it, the world is on computers. This isn't 30 years ago.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Social, you can check your Live contacts by logging in at Live.com, under Hotmail Highlights there should be "Contacts" button, after clicking that you should see all your contacts. Since I used my Gmail account as my Live account, all of my contacts were imported from Google and appear there.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ever heard of Droidwall? Any such thing for WP7?

Nope, there's nothing like it for WP7 as far as I know.

You should probably go back to Android.

I'm kind of confused as to why a power user who needs a firewall app on his phone and has to side-load his apps to protect his identity would have chosen WP7 in the first place.

You definitely sound much more like the Android power user type and I'm sure WP7 will just continue to frustrate you and send you trolling all over WP7 forums.

So go buy an Android Maxx Ultra Ribbed 4 ghz, or whatever the hot item is this week and make all of us happy.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Do you use email contacts? Those can be stolen as well.
Your bank doesn't have a web access? I didn't think there was such a thing anymore. You are certainly interesting, but what you are worried about isn't a problem to anyone but you. I'm glad that mine does that so I don't have to try and input each and every contact when I switch phones.
As was mentioned you should go back to android where they will just mine your info through the apps you put on your phone.
Good luck!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Go to the "Hotmail" tab and click contacts. Any phone number you add to your phone will be listed there. Any you remove will be removed from your device.

Nope. I don't have the Live account linked to any of the others. Sorry, you're dead wrong.

mQNyT.png

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that hotmail account does for me is act as a receptacle for my email receipts from apps I buy on the marketplace. That's it. NONE of my contacts have been picked up by it.

What you probably did is set your new phone up using an existing gmail or hotmail account as your log-in. If you did that and now you're shocked because the phone actually thought you might have wanted to sync your contacts.... well I'm not sure what to tell you.

BackToAndroid

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that hotmail account does for me is act as a receptacle for my email receipts from apps I buy on the marketplace. That's it. NONE of my contacts have been picked up by it.

What you probably did is set your new phone up using an existing gmail or hotmail account as your log-in. If you did that and now you're shocked because the phone actually thought you might have wanted to sync your contacts.... well I'm not sure what to tell you.

I only have one email account which is the one issued by my isp and I never used it when setting up my phone. The account you are looking at may not be the one that is associated with your phone. AFAIK you cannot have any phone numbers stored on your device which are not simultaneously sync'd with a "live" account. Possibly your phone has no internet access?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

The f*ck are you talking about??? Your phone did not make your personal phone numbers "listed and accessible" to your friends on the Internet. Stop freaking out.

I don't know what you've done to make you this paranoid, but I hope you did a good job hiding the body or your wife will forgive you for the affair or you find closure wherever it is that you need it in your life.

Good grief, just go buy your damn Android and make sure you delete the URL of this website from your browser cache and your bookmarks to protect your identity. You should also probably NEVER come back to this forum, just to be sure your identity is protected, OK?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I only have one email account which is the one issued by my isp and I never used it when setting up my phone. The account you are looking at may not be the one that is associated with your phone. AFAIK you cannot have any phone numbers stored on your device which are not simultaneously sync'd with a "live" account. Possibly your phone has no internet access?

Ok, Jason Bourne. :dry

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Mr. BacktoAndroid. All your bank info is on servers. Any checks, credit cards, etc. you have used in the last 10 years are on servers. Your taxes are on servers. Your drivers licence is on servers. Your SSN is on servers. You literally would have to not have a SSN and never have used anything but cash your entire life to even have a possibility of not being on a computer. Even then, you are probably still are.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The f*ck are you talking about??? Your phone did not make your personal phone numbers "listed and accessible" to your friends on the Internet. Stop freaking out.

I don't know what you've done to make you this paranoid, but I hope you did a good job hiding the body or your wife will forgive you for the affair or you find closure wherever it is that you need it in your life.

Good grief, just go buy your damn Android and make sure you delete the URL of this website from your browser cache and your bookmarks to protect your identity. You should also probably NEVER come back to this forum, just to be sure your identity is protected, OK?

If he's that anal about other people numbers, wait until he finds out his number is out there somewhere cause one of his contacts uses services like this! That would be priceless

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if he knows this forum's server is tracking his IP address and a smart person with access could find out exactly where he lives right now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs