Why Pinterest and Instagram Need OS Integration

willrich354

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is more of a discussion question for all of us vs a real argument. I love my WP7 devices (HD7 and now 900 Black) and I really like the OS FB and Twitter integration. Now I was reading a random WPCentral article on Fhotobooth, an Instagram like app/social network for WP (and really good btw) and someone in the comments was making a comparasion between Fhotobooth, Pinterest, and Instagram and I though, wouldn't it be great if they mixed in the later two social networks into WP7/8.

I thought about it more and it hit me that it may be a small edge that can really, really serve current WP and future WP users well. Just think, Pinterest is already the #3 social network and Instagram (assuming they have API's or will make a WP app in the future) is growing like crazy. Windows Phone has camera buttons as a standard feature along with lots of apps and standard cam features like Skydrive and the Photo Hub. Couple those photographer friendly OS features with companies like Nokia (N800 cam and Puerview), HTC (the Titan 2 cam), and even other companies like Cannon and you see where I'm going with this.

It would be cool to allow you to browse pinboards and Instagram photos from the People Hub and of course uploads to both along with Twitter and FB. I think something like this can make WP THE OS for photo lovers and photographers. It's something easy to market and something that can draw people to WP over some of the time based shortcomings like app count and system updates which happen slower than Android. What do ya'll think about this idea?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not against the idea, in fact it could be really cool, but I'd wait to see if the pinterest/instagram fad fades or gets stronger. Last year everyone was talking about how WP needed foursquare. Now it has foursquare but the foursquare craze has quieted down.

willrich354

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not against the idea, in fact it could be really cool, but I'd wait to see if the pinterest/instagram fad fades or gets stronger. Last year everyone was talking about how WP needed foursquare. Now it has foursquare but the foursquare craze has quieted down.

Point taken on that one. I think as phone cams get more powerful whether it is Instagram or Pinterest or some other network it will be in Microsoft's interest to make photography more central. I say this because none of the other OS's have taken any specific interest in photography yet and it's something Microsoft can dominate if done right. So the calculation would be whether to wager now on current networks (Pinterest seems safe considering it's current position) or wait and maybe be overtaken by IOS6 and/or Android 4.X/5.0

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if instagram will expand to windowsphone. Seriously Facebook bought them to protect themselves.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

alex6272

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Pinterest and Instagram seem like huge fads to me, if they prove to be otherwise then integrating them could be a plus for marketing WP. If MS integrated more photo services and Nokia brought Pureview to the table then things could get interesting. I personally dislike both Pinterest and Instagram though so I disagree with the idea that they need to be integrated into Windows Phone.

willrich354

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
They just need to figure out a decent way for 3rd party apps to integrate into the hubs.
That's why I liked webOS so much with Just Type and how they handled service integration. Made it so that any and everything could become part of the OS using public API's. WP and Microsoft are moving that way with contracts for W8 but they should bring them to WP7/8 and that may make it easier for these things to be weaved into the OS later on.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm aware of that but I see no need to integrate it into the handset.

Because women like it and the Lumia is a fashion accessory. Here's a great way to sell women a phone:
"It's pink and it has Pinterest built in"
Bam, a billion sales.
Maybe that makes me a mysogonist but it seems to be pretty true.
The better question is why wouldn't you want to have as many social networks as possible integrated into the handset?
Finally, just because you don't like a social network doesn't mean it's irrelevant. Your opinion is moot.

M

mkr10001

Because women like it and the Lumia is a fashion accessory. Here's a great way to sell women a phone:
"It's pink and it has Pinterest built in"
Bam, a billion sales.
Maybe that makes me a mysogonist but it seems to be pretty true.
The better question is why wouldn't you want to have as many social networks as possible integrated into the handset?
Finally, just because you don't like a social network doesn't mean it's irrelevant. Your opinion is moot.

A billion? Get a grip
The reason not to have ALL the social networks integrated is because it just becomes a stupid gimmick. People would rather have a decent app than it all integrated.
Who the **** said I didn't like it!??! Why are you making assumptions?!?! I HAVE a pinterest account I'll have you know. Your life is moot.

Toss pot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro