Windows Phone 7.5 MANGO Complaints

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Figure 8 Dash - Thank you for the links and your passionate response. Covering all avenues here. If there's one thing I know(based on friends working in Windows Phone Division at Microsoft), is that they are listening incredibly hard not only to those links, but even moreso to forums like this where the average day-to-day joes are, and to cover all of their avenues.

gapost - There are numerous things I love about iPhone and Android. I don't want to come across as bashing this guy or that. Everyone has their downfalls. My passion here is to root for the underdog, Microsoft and simply get the word out and help them make an amazing competitor of an OS.

I do believe you are being called out.
If there are things you like about Windows Phone, then list those. Otherwise you just come off as a basher.

I also don't think Microsoft is paying more attention to WPCentral (no matter how good of a site it is) than they are to their own site set up specifically to track what users want most in future updates. You get 10 votes to apply to whatever you think is most important. Go use 'em.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried it before I posted it (literally), so I'm 100% sure you're wrong.

I'm 100% sure I said I don't think it has that feature so I believe you're post was 100% irrelevant since somebody already corrected it. Have several seats

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm just about done with wpcentral. It's seems almost as if it's being taken over by people that want wp7 to be android or iOS. It's pretty sad and disappointing.
When I joined it was filled with helpful people who enjoyed something different. Those people seem to be gone.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm just about done with wpcentral. It's seems almost as if it's being taken over by people that want wp7 to be android or iOS. It's pretty sad and disappointing.
When I joined it was filled with helpful people who enjoyed something different. Those people seem to be gone.

It's normal. When people switch platforms, they go to what's familiar first, and some of the things that they use don't exist in Windows Phone, either because they aren't necessary or because there are new services and features you must use. (for example, Skydrive).

The real problem begins when someone refuses to use those new services and features. That's when the trouble begins, but it's entirely their fault for being narrow-minded.

A clear example of this is Joshua Topolsky, the editor in The Verge that reviewed the Lumia 900. He simply failed to explore the alternative services and features in Windows Phone, and ended up disliking the whole experience. For example, he claimed in a post-review podcast that you can't copy text in e-mail, which we all know it's not true. He failed to explore that feature, simply because he couldn't do the exact same function that he uses in Android.

The OP is behaving just like Joshua, he's expecting to use and do the same things in Windows Phone, that he uses in Android, and that obviously never works.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
No one appreciates a newbie coming in to your "house" and talking trash. Sure, there are some things about WP that aren't perfect and need some improvement. But the same can be said for other phones. And I still haven't read anything that the OP likes in WP over droid or ios. I think this thread is just going to go downhill.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

It's normal and happens to any forum. I think all that's happening is you're getting an influx of new users all at once (a lot of new Lumia owners like me I'm betting) and some newbs are doing what newbs do and spewing the first thing that comes to mind all over the interweb, i.e. OMFG THROWING MY PHONE AWAY NOW BECAUSE GMAIL DIDN'T SYNC!!!! etc. instead of calmly asking questions or taking their time to learn.

Things will settle down after a bit, as long there is proactive moderation and we maintain a reasonable minority population of informed users who are willing to help others.

Just like any forum, growing pains. They will probably get a bit worse before they get better, but that's GOOD.

It means people are BUYING Windows Phones and it means people are interested in talking about them. This can only be a good thing! ;)

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It's normal and happens to any forum. I think all that's happening is you're getting an influx of new users all at once (a lot of new Lumia owners like me I'm betting) and some newbs are doing what newbs do and spewing the first thing that comes to mind all over the interweb, i.e. OMFG THROWING MY PHONE AWAY NOW BECAUSE GMAIL DIDN'T SYNC!!!! etc. instead of calmly asking questions or taking their time to learn.

Things will settle down after a bit, as long there is proactive moderation and we maintain a reasonable minority population of informed users who are willing to help others.

Just like any forum, growing pains. They will probably get a bit worse before they get better, but that's GOOD.

It means people are BUYING Windows Phones and it means people are interested in talking about them. This can only be a good thing! ;)

Amen

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Look the fact is if you want a 100% fully featured and polished phone the iPhone is your only choice. I like the Metro UI and I'm willing to take a hit on features to use it everyday. I know what I'm getting into.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

True true. I know that i used to get swarmed with users saying I need to use the search function if I had questions first.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Previous Android user. Complaints since moving over.

Windows Phone Complaints
1) Live tile counter doesn't work most of the time for HeyTell, Facebook, GChat
2) Skype doesn't work in background mode. Android does. Makes app useless.
3) Messaging doesn't retain unsent text when switching to other app, home screen. Android does.
4) Can't view facebook like I can on my computer. Android does.
5) Reversing white background/black text for "night mode" like Nokia Maps does would be very nice in dark lighting, movie theather, etc.
6) Requires Zune to copy files off, unless emailed. Android solution is better, acts like a hard drive on USB
7) Auto-copy feature of pics to SkyDrive copies a small version of the picture, not the original size
8) Games that are for free on Android/iTunes cost money! Like Angry Birds.
9) Live Toggle Tiles like Connection Tiles don't update their wording when toggling
10) Market may have 10s of thousands of apps but a high number of them are just "hot girl" apps, missing many apps still!
11) Swype option is not available. Slydr option is a joke!
12) Volume hard buttons and Camera button don't always work when screen is off
13) Built-In "Listen for Music" option does not save what I find for music. Might as well just keep using Shazam/Soundhound
14) Scan barcode options should work like Google Goggles too.
15) Nokia Maps doesn't work in offline mode. Map doesn't load.

1. Live tile counters for some apps are broken. Facebook I know is messed up not sure about Gchat or Heytell. Have you tried any other 3rd party messaging applications maybe it works better for others. I blame it on the app rather than the OS
2. Skype is still in beta its going gold in April. Hopefully it adds background support but if you need video chat Tango works great
3. Yes it does. Do you mean if I type the word "Hey" exit the app and go back its not there? If you hold the back button you should be able to see your unset text via cards. I do this all the time
4. You can view ppl that like your status via notification hub that's where I get all my FB notifications from. You can also add a separate inbox for all FB notifications if you need notifications ASAP
6. So what atleast Zune allows you to view and edit your tags etc and sync them over I don't see why this is a big deal Zune is fun to use
7. I haven't tried this so if I automatically snap a photo and upload to Skydrive it uploads the lower resolution image. hmm
8. Free games you pay for with battery life 1$ for countless hours of fun why not plus your supporting developers. Atleast you can try games before you buy them
9. Application problem not OS
10. Of course there's apps missing but there are alternatives what apps are you specifically looking for?
11. Tried Swype if you like 1 handed typing that's cool but the keyboard on a WP is on point I don't even have to look at my keyboard to compose a text it gets a lot better over time
12. No the screen needs to be on. That way if something accidently presses the button you screen doesn't react saves battery life
13. Never tried
14. Never tried Google scan
15. Offline mode works I use it all the time. I am not sure how yours is configured but I verified this functionality.

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
No one appreciates a newbie coming in to your "house" and talking trash. Sure, there are some things about WP that aren't perfect and need some improvement. But the same can be said for other phones. And I still haven't read anything that the OP likes in WP over droid or ios. I think this thread is just going to go downhill.
Hi Guys,

I wanted to take some time to digest and evaluate all of your comments. I want to end this thread from my end with these comments for you.

1) I am a software engineer with over 15 years of experience for a Microsoft Partner

2) Based on everyone's comments I went back and re-read my initial thread opening post. From an engineers perspective, this post is in my opinion as civil and professional as they come. Complaints, e.g. bugs from a customers standpoint, these would all legitimately be filed as software bugs internally at my company. Please do me a favor and have this mindset for me before being reactionary and seeing me as going on a tirade, being flamboyant, etc.

3) Based on 2) above it is very apparent that there are some deep rooted scars from past posts, people with ill will intentions. I truly hope this behavior stops, on both ends. It's bad business, unprofessional and everyone loses in some form at the end of the day. Speaking to the request of posting something "positive" when issuing a post as I did, which came off as "negative", that is fair request I suppose. I don't think it should have to be that way, but it makes sense to provide protection for a junior product looking to break into a market already saturated by prior products doing very well. Point well taken and I will adjust further threads to accomodate this psychology.

Engineer Guy
Go Windows Phone!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99