Windows Phone 7.5 MANGO Complaints

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Previous Android user. Complaints since moving over.

Windows Phone Complaints
1) Live tile counter doesn't work most of the time for HeyTell, Facebook, GChat
2) Skype doesn't work in background mode. Android does. Makes app useless.
3) Messaging doesn't retain unsent text when switching to other app, home screen. Android does.
4) Can't view facebook like I can on my computer. Android does.
5) Reversing white background/black text for "night mode" like Nokia Maps does would be very nice in dark lighting, movie theather, etc.
6) Requires Zune to copy files off, unless emailed. Android solution is better, acts like a hard drive on USB
7) Auto-copy feature of pics to SkyDrive copies a small version of the picture, not the original size
8) Games that are for free on Android/iTunes cost money! Like Angry Birds.
9) Live Toggle Tiles like Connection Tiles don't update their wording when toggling
10) Market may have 10s of thousands of apps but a high number of them are just "hot girl" apps, missing many apps still!
11) Swype option is not available. Slydr option is a joke!
12) Volume hard buttons and Camera button don't always work when screen is off
13) Built-In "Listen for Music" option does not save what I find for music. Might as well just keep using Shazam/Soundhound
14) Scan barcode options should work like Google Goggles too.
15) Nokia Maps doesn't work in offline mode. Map doesn't load.

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Sounds as if you prefer Android. Enjoy.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
I hate Android actually. It's very sloppy in many ways. I simply prefer an OS that provides core things that most people would enjoy having and functions as it's supposed to.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I hate Android actually. It's very sloppy in many ways. I simply prefer an OS that provides core things that most people would enjoy having and functions as it's supposed to.

Try the iPhone.

It's been around much longer, lots of apps, pretty much all the bugs are worked out. It has none of the sloppiness of Android.

Windows Phone is still pretty new, I did a lot of research before I chose it and accepted that it was new and that I would be making some compromises.

No offense, but it seems like this board is beginning to degenerate a little into a *****-fest. It's a place for people who actually like these phones to get together and conversate, or for us to try and help people with problems we can solve.

Pointless griping about characteristics of the OS that none of us can change at the moment really doesn't serve any purpose.

If there is something we can help you figure out or fix, we'd be happy to help though.

If not, I honestly suggest you try an iPhone 4S, I think you might find much of what you are looking for there.

Just remember, no phone is perfect. Android, Windows Phone and iPhone all come with compromises. It's just a matter of finding which is the most agreeable to you.

Cheers. ;)

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Try the iPhone.

It's been around much longer, lots of apps, pretty much all the bugs are worked out. It has none of the sloppiness of Android.

Windows Phone is still pretty new, I did a lot of research before I chose it and accepted that it was new and that I would be making some compromises.

No offense, but it seems like this board is beginning to degenerate a little into a *****-fest. It's a place for people who actually like these phones to get together and conversate, or for us to try and help people with problems we can solve.

Pointless griping about characteristics of the OS that none of us can change at the moment really doesn't serve any purpose.

If there is something we can help you figure out or fix, we'd be happy to help though.

If not, I honestly suggest you try an iPhone 4S, I think you might find much of what you are looking for there.

Just remember, no phone is perfect. Android, Windows Phone and iPhone all come with compromises. It's just a matter of finding which is the most agreeable to you.

Cheers. ;)
Thank you for the input and suggestions.

RE complaints. My goal is to get the word out in hopes that Microsoft and their developers are listening to these boards. I don't think anything on my list is unreasonable to ask. Most are bugs and the rest are common sense I think.

RE iPhone. I'm actually gunning for Microsoft. I really want them to succeed. They've been the odd man out for way to long and I believe if they shape up quickly(listening to feedback of what people want/complaints), they can jump into the race and compete properly. I've had an iPhone, before my Android. Apple really left a sour taste in my mouth when they flat out denied and lied about the antenna issues on their phone. I returned the iPhone 4 immediately after that little escapade.

Go Windows Phone!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the input and suggestions.

RE complaints. My goal is to get the word out in hopes that Microsoft and their developers are listening to these boards. I don't think anything on my list is unreasonable to ask. Most are bugs and the rest are common sense I think.

RE iPhone. I'm actually gunning for Microsoft. I really want them to succeed. They've been the odd man out for way to long and I believe if they shape up quickly(listening to feedback of what people want/complaints), they can jump into the race and compete properly. I've had an iPhone, before my Android. Apple really left a sour taste in my mouth when they flat out denied and lied about the antenna issues on their phone. I returned the iPhone 4 immediately after that little escapade.

Go Windows Phone!

;)

I hear you. WP7 is not perfect and that's what kept me on the fence for a while and admiring them from afar. The Mango update brought me a little closer to pulling the trigger. Nokia's full commitment to the platform and the promise of the excellent support and new development that would bring got me even closer, then the Lumia 900 closed the deal.

I still knew I was jumping on board with an underdog platform that was still a little wet behind the ears though, but I kind of like that. I accept the compromises that come with it and I have complete faith that we are going to see some really amazing stuff in the next 2 years that will have us laughing when we look back at what's already a pretty great phone OS today.

As a long time Mac user, long, long before Steve Jobs came back and Apple became a heavy hitter again, I am completely used to being on the underdog team that everyone underestimates, misunderstands and complains about. I have as much faith in future of Windows Phone as I had in the future of the Mac back in the mid to late 1990s when everyone was signing their death warrant. :happy:

If anything, I think Windows Phone would lose a certain amount of its charm for me if it had 80% marketshare and everyone was using it. That's kind of how I feel about the iPhone and rabid Apple fans. I want to shake the crap out of them and say "Listen you little punk, where were you when Apple WASNT popular and annoyingly hipster?" :lol:

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Tapping the three dots under the search screen provides a "music history," showing everything you've scanned. You can also use desktop mode for Facebook if that's what you're talking about.

I agree with socialcarpet--I like having more WP users but seriously, this isn't a venting board.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Unsent messages are retained in the messaging app if you switch apps or return to the home screen. They only aren't if you hit the back button to ext the messaging hub.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
There was no need to post this twice.
Verkunder - Thank you. 13 complaints now.
chsoriano - Thank you. Still 13 complaints, press the "Windows Logo" and go back to texting, the unsent message is removed
Figure 8 Dash - Thank you. Appreciate your passion. My passion is to get the word out to Microsoft and their app developers.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
chsoriano - Thank you. Still 13 complaints, press the "Windows Logo" and go back to texting, the unsent message is removed
Figure 8 Dash - Thank you. Appreciate your passion. My passion is to get the word out to Microsoft and their app developers.

Superior options to more directly convey your concerns to Microsoft.

Feature Suggestions: Hot (11874 ideas)
Windows Phone | Facebook
https://twitter.com/#!/windowsphone
Windows Phone - Microsoft Answers

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
So since you've had both iOS and Android, is there anything you like about WP or anything that is better than the others? Just asking.

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
So since you've had both iOS and Android, is there anything you like about WP or anything that is better than the others? Just asking.
Figure 8 Dash - Thank you for the links and your passionate response. Covering all avenues here. If there's one thing I know(based on friends working in Windows Phone Division at Microsoft), is that they are listening incredibly hard not only to those links, but even moreso to forums like this where the average day-to-day joes are, and to cover all of their avenues.

gapost - There are numerous things I love about iPhone and Android. I don't want to come across as bashing this guy or that. Everyone has their downfalls. My passion here is to root for the underdog, Microsoft and simply get the word out and help them make an amazing competitor of an OS.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

We're all passionate about this platform. There are just better ways than bluntly stating, "I don't like this this this." Provide suggestions and ideas. You're just coming off as a complainer and fuddy duddy.

kirksl

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
We're all passionate about this platform. There are just better ways than bluntly stating, "I don't like this this this." Provide suggestions and ideas. You're just coming off as a complainer and fuddy duddy.
Thanks everyone for your passionate replies. And i'll be the first to say i'm sorry if I came across as a hater, basher, android lover, whatever. Thanks Sasquatch76 for your suggestion too. I hope that they streamline the OS in Windows Phone 8 to not require "app switcher".

Microsoft I hope you're listening!

Go Windows Phone!!!

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This was debunked in your other thread. You have to use the app switcher because hitting home and opening the app again starts a fresh instance of said app.

Doesn't change anything. You can back out of the Android SMS app (which exits it) and it will still save a Draft. They simply need to make the SMS app save a draft when you back out of it. It's really a simple fix for an annoying issue. It's also a cool way to queue up texts you may have to send in the future, for example... I used to do it all the time.

Additionally, if you're doing heavy web browsing and have IE opening new tabs for links that SMS app may not even show up in the task switcher once you get to 4 tabs or so.

It keeps the in-progress text if you Home out of it. It doesn't keep it if you back out of it, which every other platform does, so it's a behavior many users expect when they use these type of apps. On iOS even if you Home out of the Messaging App and Close it from the Multi-Tasking Bar, the text you were composing pops up as in-progress when you open the app back up again - the equivalent of backing out of it on Android and then opening it up to see it saved as a Draft in that conversation.

Users coming from Android will often be surprised seeing this nor work since it's something a lot of Android users, do. WP7's Task Switcher is actually worse than the FroYo/GB Task Switcher (long press on Home) because the list can become poputed with Browser tabs and duplicate Hub Instances (Android would list them at the Application-level and that platform wouldn't launch a new instance of i.e. the SMS app if it was already open in the background).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion