Questions about ZUNE

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My 1 and biggest complaint about WP is the relative inability to be able to load files onto the device. For years I was able to create files with Word, Excel, etc and send them to my iPaq and later my Axims and the file would sync and convert back and forth between device and PC effortlessly with no problems. I could create it on my computer, take it with me, edit it when away and return it back to the computer for other addendum's. I could move photos or any other item as needed and there wasn't any problem. It was nearly like a true handheld computer.

WP? Not so much. I just can't understand why you have a device/OS that's written to represent a software company that creates the OS that many use on their home computer and it cannot easily communicate with each other. When Win8 comes out and WP8 come out, will there be any ability for cross communication or will it just be another version of Zune? MS doesn't even really support the Zune Players anymore so why is it so important to look at the new WP7/WP8 devices as a Zune player that happens to be a phone also? Just because it worked for Apples marketing, doesn't mean it'll work here.

OK, I'll stop before this becomes a rant. I do like my Arrive and appreciate how well WP7 works compared to the slowness of the older WM devices

In reality, if you are using office files WP is the best. If you create a file on your PC, use save to skydive and its automatically on your phone. If using win 7 and is 9. Pin the SkyDrive web icon to your taskbar makes it even better!

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Count me as one of the people who will be glad to see Zune go away...although I suppose it depends on what takes its place. I've never used iTunes, so I'm unmoved by the claim that Zune is "way better" than iTunes.

First of all, the meaning of "sync" in the actual English language is for two things to act in synchrony, so that what happens to one happens to the other. So if I create a "media folder" on my computer, and I put music, photos, videos, and documents in it, anything I add to that folder gets added to my phone; anything I delete gets deleted from my phone; and anything I add or delete from my phone gets added to or deleted from the folder. That's what sync means.

The question is: Why would I want to do things that way? Why would I want to have a folder on my computer that is a mirror of what's on my phone? I can understand this in the case of documents that I'm actually editing, because I'm changing those files and like to be able to access the most current versions from various devices. And I understand the reason to back up files to the cloud or wherever, but backing up isn't the same as syncing.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
In reality, if you are using office files WP is the best. If you create a file on your PC, use save to skydive and its automatically on your phone. If using win 7 and is 9. Pin the SkyDrive web icon to your taskbar makes it even better!

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

I guess my problem is that I'm kinda "Old School" and just don't trust the interwebs to safeguard my files and information. I'm no conspiracy theorist and truly, nothing I put up there has any super secret classified meanings. I just don't like the idea of having to post things to the web in order to get them to my phone. When, I could be safer by using my home computer that is not always tied into the network to store, manipulate, and create my files and then post them to my phone and it all stays in my little circle to only be shared with who I decide. Maybe I'm a control freak, I don't know. Just posting to s network that has potentially billions of users just doesn't appeal to me. I'm getting used to the idea of "The Cloud" but still not real comfortable with the idea.

BackToAndroid

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess my problem is that I'm kinda "Old School" and just don't trust the interwebs to safeguard my files and information. I'm no conspiracy theorist and truly, nothing I put up there has any super secret classified meanings. I just don't like the idea of having to post things to the web in order to get them to my phone. When, I could be safer by using my home computer that is not always tied into the network to store, manipulate, and create my files and then post them to my phone and it all stays in my little circle to only be shared with who I decide. Maybe I'm a control freak, I don't know. Just posting to s network that has potentially billions of users just doesn't appeal to me. I'm getting used to the idea of "The Cloud" but still not real comfortable with the idea.

I'm with you all the way on that. Recently, some security expert described Facebook as a man-in-the-middle attack against your private life, and I feel the same way about all this "cloud" nonsense. Potentially - with a slight brush of your hand in the camera settings, you could end up hosting all of your private photographs on a remote server that is accessible from the internet 24/7.

I had a brief exchange with a Windows developer who shared my concerns, she thought that we are just one news story away from waking people up to the potential dangers. I very much agree. Of course, this stuff is not exclusive to Windows phones, but MS seems overly enthusiastic about getting your stuff onto their servers.

Itunes sucks just as badly IMO. I removed it 10 minutes after the first install and found a free alternative that was simple, intuitive and slim.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you all the way on that. Recently, some security expert described Facebook as a man-in-the-middle attack against your private life, and I feel the same way about all this "cloud" nonsense. Potentially - with a slight brush of your hand in the camera settings, you could end up hosting all of your private photographs on a remote server that is accessible from the internet 24/7.

I had a brief exchange with a Windows developer who shared my concerns, she thought that we are just one news story away from waking people up to the potential dangers. I very much agree. Of course, this stuff is not exclusive to Windows phones, but MS seems overly enthusiastic about getting your stuff onto their servers.

Itunes sucks just as badly IMO. I removed it 10 minutes after the first install and found a free alternative that was simple, intuitive and slim.

What about Google releasing a Mobile OS that's web based?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/...ns-to-get-first-phones-running-boot-to-gecko/

BackToAndroid

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Count me as one of the people who will be glad to see Zune go away...although I suppose it depends on what takes its place. I've never used iTunes, so I'm unmoved by the claim that Zune is "way better" than iTunes.

I'd rate them about the same: Bloated, unintuitive and unnecessary.

HifiGuy900

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
New Zune user. Am I missing something with the Zune player on the Lumia 900? The music player seems to have no place to change to the equalization settings such as Rock, Pop, Jazz etc. The one built in is pretty boring.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
New Zune user. Am I missing something with the Zune player on the Lumia 900? The music player seems to have no place to change to the equalization settings such as Rock, Pop, Jazz etc. The one built in is pretty boring.

I think the Zune HD was the only device to have an equalizer and it sucked. Software equalizers/plugins seem to always add some kinda horrible '3D' effect. Stock sound probably isn't nearly as bad as stock ear buds. I don't think Nokia has an app like HTC does but you aren't missing much if it would be the same quality.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My HTC has the SRS sound enhancement option but only when you have something plugged into the headphones jack. I think it works OK. I have a set of amplifies Walkman(remember those) speakers that I use to listen to my podcasts and such in the garage.

HifiGuy900

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I think the Zune HD was the only device to have an equalizer and it sucked. Software equalizers/plugins seem to always add some kinda horrible '3D' effect. Stock sound probably isn't nearly as bad as stock ear buds. I don't think Nokia has an app like HTC does but you aren't missing much if it would be the same quality.

Ooh, coming from an iPhone, this kind of sucks. Now I keep my iPhone for music and Lumia 900 for the rest. If only it had this feature and I would have to keep just the Lumia with me. It would have been a much cleaner transition.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Ooh, coming from an iPhone, this kind of sucks. Now I keep my iPhone for music and Lumia 900 for the rest. If only it had this feature and I would have to keep just the Lumia with me. It would have been a much cleaner transition.

From what I understand the Lumia is good as is its just the earbuds you get are garbage.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it's probably the cheap headphones. I tried the headphones that came with my wife's iPhone and HOLY CRAP it sounded good. Apple seems to be the only OEM out there that seems to realize people LISTEN TO MUSIC on their phones.

reelon

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I didn't find the sound on the lumia to be that great, I like better the sound of the titan. One of the things from android that is miss is poweramp, such a great app for music.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hold the phone (so to speak).....anyone that knows ANYTHING about audio knows that the earbuds included with Apple products are some of the worst that you can listen to. Any audiophile will attest to this. You'll do (somewhat) better with a $20 set. Better yet, go for headphones around the sweet spot of $100 to get some quality sound without breaking the bank. Just please don't use those cheapos as a reference. They're crap. You're doing your ears and music a real disservice.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
With all the hate for Zune it seems like some of you have never even used Zune or at least given it a chance. When I first started using Zune I didn't think I was fond of it. Fast forward to now, and I don't know what I would do without it. It's one of the biggest reasons I have a Windows Phone. It IS at least a hundred times better than iTunes and it has more functionality as well. Sure, it could use a few tweaks, but nothing huge. It even allows you to sync anything with anyone's WP or Zune, which iTunes does not without reformatting the device.

Now maybe WP should have the option to just use it as a drive for drag and drop, but there are probably valid reasons as to why it doesn't.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I don't buy an iPhone because of iTunes. I think the phone is great. I just hate iTunes. And I do enjoy Zune and use it almost every day. But I really do believe the phone should not be tied to the Zune software. It's just harder for me to recommend a Windows Phone to friends knowing that they probably will also have to abandon their music library software of choice for Zune. And while I love Zune and think it's great, they might not. It's a big commitment changing your music catalog software of choice. If you have a big music collection it's a big deal!!! Thankfully WP8 will not be tied to Zune and it will be easier for me to recommend my favorite mobile platform.

I also wanted to say that most audiophiles will tell you not to listen to music with digital EQs altering the sound. You should listen to music at its default setting the way the artist/audio engineer meant for it to be heard. Then again we compress our music into MP3 format so we are loosing audio quality anyway. I hope Windows Phone 8 supports FLAC which I believe is suppose to be better than MP3.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I also wanted to say that most audiophiles will tell you not to listen to music with digital EQs altering the sound. You should listen to music at its default setting the way the artist/audio engineer meant for it to be heard. Then again we compress our music into MP3 format so we are loosing audio quality anyway. I hope Windows Phone 8 supports FLAC which I believe is suppose to be better than MP3.

This is true. FLAC is better than MP3 as it is lossless. But even high bitrate (320Kbps) MP3s are quite good and it's very hard to tell the difference, especially on cheap headphones. WMA Lossless is CD quality (and Zune supports it), but it takes up a lot of space (~300Mb versus ~50Mb for a 128Kbps MP3 album).

And as far as the HTC Sound Enhancer goes, the SRS setting gives you a lot of artificial bass, making the music muddier and unlike how the artist intended it (though there is the case where the album wasn't properly mixed and it needs more bass, etc.).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786