Xbox live coming to Android and iOS!?

fatalaonemanarmy

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I was talking to my friend about how cool the integration of Xbox live was on the WP, and he told me that, supposedly, Microsoft is going to be putting the app on Android and iPhone. I looked this up, and it appears to be true. Please tell me you guys think this is a very stupid idea. I get it that they can sell more arcade games, but it's one of the key reasons people like the Windows Phone.

For example, Google decided to not allow iOS to get it's free navigation for the very reason I'm talking about. You can't have an awesome service that drives people to your products, and then just give them away to your competitors. That's my opinion of course, as I do understand it would sell more arcade games. What do you guys think?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't think it's Xbox Live games coming to Android or iOS, because most of our XBL games are already on other platforms, like Angry Birds. I think its just going to be messaging, achievements, etc. Its similar to how you can access PS3 content (not games) on other platforms.

And I thought it was already out for them?

fatalaonemanarmy

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's Xbox Live games coming to Android or iOS, because most of our XBL games are already on other platforms, like Angry Birds. I think its just going to be messaging, achievements, etc. Its similar to how you can access PS3 content (not games) on other platforms.

And I thought it was already out for them?
No it isn't, unless it came out recently. And it does have many xbox live arcade games on it, but the functionality like xbox live messages and things may be the only part they are releasing on other apps, but if that's true, I still don't think it's smart. Keep it a WP only feature.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe the XBox live integration is a "key" feature for why we buy Windows Phones, but it is something unique to the platform. From a money side, I can understand why Microsoft would do this. From a consumer-versus-consumer standpoint, i don't like it. I mean, you know how many people I tell about this cool feature and they say they wish they had that? Well if they want it, give up your iphone or android, and join us. WP7 phones have more to offer than just xbox live integration. But if Microsoft does do this, well then it might be one less reason to come over. Kids might jump on windows phones purely because of it. So, maybe from a teenagers standpoint, this is a main feature I guess. But teens tend to follow, so if their friends have iphones, well they might just get an iphone.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing that the iPhone app does is ANY different than what you can do on Xbox.com

Tried to say that again and again...they are just making the mobile site into something you have to go to the marketplace to use because iPhone people are pretty brain dead when it comes to mobile sites and most feel that if it isn't an 'app' it doesn't work.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Nothing that the iPhone app does is ANY different than what you can do on Xbox.com

Tried to say that again and again...they are just making the mobile site into something you have to go to the marketplace to use because iPhone people are pretty brain dead when it comes to mobile sites and most feel that if it isn't an 'app' it doesn't work.

See. I knew they already had an app. And I think that is all that MS will offer in terms of an XBL app.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
See. I knew they already had an app. And I think that is all that MS will offer in terms of an XBL app.

Yea, my wife has it on her iPhone. mostly because i downloaded it to see what it was, haha. The iPhone app was a lot like "LIVE Extras" that we used to have to download. But, I BELIEVE when the app first came out you couldn't yet send messages from the mobile site. I think that feature is there now. Those details are a little shady because of course us WP guys have no need for the Xbox mobile site, haha.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't the iOS app released a couple of months ago?

I really hope Achievements and the Xbox Companion stay in the MS ecosystem.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I was talking to my friend about how cool the integration of Xbox live was on the WP, and he told me that, supposedly, Microsoft is going to be putting the app on Android and iPhone. I looked this up, and it appears to be true. Please tell me you guys think this is a very stupid idea. I get it that they can sell more arcade games, but it's one of the key reasons people like the Windows Phone.

For example, Google decided to not allow iOS to get it's free navigation for the very reason I'm talking about. You can't have an awesome service that drives people to your products, and then just give them away to your competitors. That's my opinion of course, as I do understand it would sell more arcade games. What do you guys think?

The Xbox LIVE companion app for iOS has been out for months. It's the same as the WP7 app UI and all. It doesn't do anything besides let you see achievements, message friends, and really that's about it.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The Xbox LIVE companion app for iOS has been out for months. It's the same as the WP7 app UI and all. It doesn't do anything besides let you see achievements, message friends, and really that's about it.

It isn't the same as the WP7 app. The Xbox LIVE Companion app for WP7 allows your WindowsPhone to interact directly with your Xbox 360. It can be used as a remote for the 360, or as a second screen for apps and videos.

You can play a video in Zune on the Xbox while browsing the library and reading about the cast on the WindowsPhone.

No Xbox apps for iOS or Android currently match it.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
No it isn't, unless it came out recently. And it does have many xbox live arcade games on it, but the functionality like xbox live messages and things may be the only part they are releasing on other apps, but if that's true, I still don't think it's smart. Keep it a WP only feature.

XBL app is already out for iOS.

typoink

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
There's no reason for MS to not develop for other platforms. It's a way to extend and promote their brand.

A smaller, newer platform can't expect a few "killer apps" to move users. They need to foster an awareness of the platform with existing iOS and Android users.

WP7's strength isn't any feature or app. It's the deeply-ingrained things like the elegant contacts and messaging, the easy social network integration, the excellent keyboard, and the consistent design language.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
We'll continue to see next-steps in the X-Box's accessibility to the newer OSs. Note that the X-Box has been around since 2001 and many iphone users have been X-Box afficionados for twice as long as they've used their phones.

One major development is the increasing processing-power of mobile devices, many of which are and will be apple or android devices. These devices will be capable of running much more advanced games, eventually probably including Microsoft's market giants such as Halo.

The other factor which is evident to WP users is how X-Box Live is growing way beyond its gaming province even as it increases its market lead in that area.

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think MS should to do less to share their small amount of apps/games (and their achievements) and do more to get the things WP is missing.

And I'm surprised no one has asked, but, where's the link that says it's true?
I need a source man!!

You aren't just trying to get us all freaked out are you. . . ? HMMM. . . . ? ?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The Windows Phone Division != the Office or XBox Division. They aren't the same and each doesn't dictate what the others do as far as putting their apps or features on other platforms. That's pretty much the way Microsoft operates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre