okay I have given up on 3rd party podcast app...

fleeper99

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
As the title says, I have given up on using a 3rd party podcast app (just not what I want). I am instead using the built in zune software. It works just fine except the windows marketplace seems to update slowly. Is there a way to speed this up? Items that are already in itunes are not showing up in the marketplace.

fleeper99

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Items that show up in iTunes show up a day later on zune marketplace.

An example is PTI; as soon as the show airs on ESPN, the podcast goes up very quickly afterwards and I could listen to it via the instacast app on my iPhone within an hour or two of the show airing. It is the next day before it shows up on my Lumia via zune marketplace.

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
For me Zune software works just fine and my Podcasts arrive on the market on time.

Through the WP Marketplace though it does show up a couple hours late. i don't think anything can be done though.

heelo

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It works just fine except the windows marketplace seems to update slowly. Is there a way to speed this up? Items that are already in itunes are not showing up in the marketplace.

YES. This is my big gripe with the Zune player on Windows Phone as well. (I'm a big ESPN podcast fan as well.)

Here are my tips:

(1) The problem isn't actually the Windows Phone marketplace. If you do you podcast updates via the Zune desktop client, the podcasts are available at the same time as they are on iTunes. Pre-7.5 update, I was getting Around The Horn at ~4:30 CST, and PTI 30-60 minutes later. But when trying to get updates via my phone, the podcasts generally won't show up until a few hours later.

(2) You'll wait *forever* if you simply let the Zune client passively check for podcast updates. However, I've found that I can force-update by manually downloading a podcast. Here's my suggested approach: Find a short-form podcast (may I suggest 60-second science?) and manually download the most recent episode. Then, when you want to force-update your podcasts, just open that podcast, expand the "Marketplace" menu, and manually download an episode. While that one is loading, you'll see that your other subscribed podcasts will be downloading episodes that weren't previously available.

(3) While the above tip significantly speeds up the availability of recent podcasts, it's still not as fast as it could be. PTI, especially, seems to lag. For these you'll need a third-party app that fetches from the RSS feed directly. May I suggest PODCASTS!? It works perfectly for me in this capacity.

fleeper99

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
YES. This is my big gripe with the Zune player on Windows Phone as well. (I'm a big ESPN podcast fan as well.)

Here are my tips:

(1) The problem isn't actually the Windows Phone marketplace. If you do you podcast updates via the Zune desktop client, the podcasts are available at the same time as they are on iTunes. Pre-7.5 update, I was getting Around The Horn at ~4:30 CST, and PTI 30-60 minutes later. But when trying to get updates via my phone, the podcasts generally won't show up until a few hours later.

(2) You'll wait *forever* if you simply let the Zune client passively check for podcast updates. However, I've found that I can force-update by manually downloading a podcast. Here's my suggested approach: Find a short-form podcast (may I suggest 60-second science?) and manually download the most recent episode. Then, when you want to force-update your podcasts, just open that podcast, expand the "Marketplace" menu, and manually download an episode. While that one is loading, you'll see that your other subscribed podcasts will be downloading episodes that weren't previously available.

(3) While the above tip significantly speeds up the availability of recent podcasts, it's still not as fast as it could be. PTI, especially, seems to lag. For these you'll need a third-party app that fetches from the RSS feed directly. May I suggest PODCASTS!? It works perfectly for me in this capacity.
Thanks for the info heelo. And yup, PTI is way behind via Zune podcast subscription. And I am the same way, I like managing and subscribing from the Zune software on the phone, but I would like for it to update sooner.

fleeper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos