Beauty is as beauty does (n't)...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
MATE ONE SENTENCE FOR YOU:

Please make your local copy IN THE SkyDrive folder. What is in SkyDrive stays synced. Anything else even if you "share" WILL NOT be the same.

e.g.

I have one file called "stupidphone" in a folder "docs" on my desktop.

I share this - i.e. upload it to my SkyDrive by dragging and dropping in SkyDrive folder.

Now I go online on Skydrive. Open "stupidphone" and write "THIS IS NOT STUPID PHONE, I AM NOT DOING IT RIGHT". Save it. Close it. Log off.

Now I go to my desktop, please for God's sake tell me which file should be "SYNCED"?

Anyone who tells me it's the one in "docs" folder, buy an Android.
Also, anyone who tells me how many copies I now have on my desktop will be worthy Windows Phone 8 owner.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
MATE ONE SENTENCE FOR YOU:

Please make your local copy IN THE SkyDrive folder. What is in SkyDrive stays synced. Anything else even if you "share" WILL NOT be the same.

e.g.

I have one file called "stupidphone" in a folder "docs" on my desktop.

I share this - i.e. upload it to my SkyDrive by dragging and dropping in SkyDrive folder.

Now I go online on Skydrive. Open "stupidphone" and write "THIS IS NOT STUPID PHONE, I AM NOT DOING IT RIGHT". Save it. Close it. Log off.

Now I go to my desktop, please for God's sake tell me which file should be "SYNCED"?

Anyone who tells me it's the one in "docs" folder, buy an Android.
Also, anyone who tells me how many copies I now have on my desktop will be worthy Windows Phone 8 owner.
@ rockstarzz: following your attempt:
1)created file on phone (which is where I want to start went doing field work).
Excel file called dumbphone
2) Saved to phone ( because if I am in the field - skydrive will NOT be accessible).
3) Opened file from phone when in wi-fi proximity.
4) SHARED to skydrive.
5) Opened file from skydrive, edited, saved.
6) Go to phone
7) open file from skydrive - shows most recent edit.
8) open file on phone - does NOT have most recent edit (both tiles display same name but have different locations). edited file, saved.
9) open file on skydrive - most recent edit is there that was done on skydrive, closed file, saved.
10) open either file on device and share and guess what? the files get duplicated on skydrive!
11) now how many tiles are displaying the same named files?
go to skydrive and see the sequential duplications!

Two tiles now displaying both having the same name, but different locales and each has different information!

YOU tell ME which file is most current by looking at your device - especially if you haven't edited the file within a few days!

I use MS office all day long at work. I can save a file in multiple places as the same name, but I have to TELL the PC where to save it each time I save.

Due to frequent server issues in our company, I will save the file to the local PC in my documents folder as well as the company's shared drive. I use multiple excel files, so will save as a workgroup. But within the workgroup are files that are shared. Other employees access those saved files from the company's shared drive (outside of my workgroup), edit and save. When I open the file the changes are evident and when I then save to both places - the older files are overwritten ( usually after receiving a prompt). The files don't get duplicated with each edit and added to the drive with each save! You can go to either location and open the individual file and it will have the most current information!

But in WP the files are NOT getting overwritten when sharing - they get duplicated. Then I get to delete the duplicated file from the phone but not from skydrive - even though I am IN the skydrive page! The files still display on the office hub's skydrive page!

Now its off to the PC to access skydrive and delete the files for real oh joy! So much for integration and ease of access.

Thought I had a work around to the phone's lack of integration which was to open the file from skydrive app. Edited with wi-fi off ( to simulate being in the field) saving prompted that a temp file would be created. A second edit done just to see if multiple edits wold remain in temp status.

Turned wi-fi on and opened file from skydrive APP. Edits were there! ok - so is this progress?

Edited again, went to save, now have prompt that a conflict exists and am being directed to Office hub to resolve it!

Have to tap and hold, view status and the display indicates time of last successful upload and time of last update attempt and a selection for resolve. Selecting Resolve offers choice to overwrite from phone to server or from server to phone. HAH! Finally a reference for actually sync choice! selections offered are "refresh copy" and "save as".

But even though wi-fi is on - phone is still returning error message that it cannot connect - :mad:

This is a fiasco!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
You know you don't have to goto skydrive.com to delete the files and can just use the SkyDrive app right? I know what you're talking about and I can say that I have never had a duplicate.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There is never any duplication, the key is to work off the SkyDrive copy. The Office hub downloads an offline version of a SkyDrive document when you open it, so you don't require a internet connection when you want to view it later. If you've updated the document on SkyDrive since the last download, navigate to SkyDrive from the Office hub, long press on the document and tap "download now".

Last edited:

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
There is never any duplication, the key is to work off the SkyDrive copy. The Office hub downloads an offline version of a SkyDrive document when you open it, so you don't require a internet connection when you want to view it later. If you've updated the document on SkyDrive since the last download, navigate to SkyDrive from the Office hub, long press on the document and tap "download now".
This discussion is obviously going in circles - you don't believe there is any duplication , but I have seen it happening. You say the "key" is to ONLY work from the skydrive copy - but as I posted, I thought too this may be the work around - except when I go to save the edited copy (edited offline then uploaded again) there are messages that skydrive isn't available, a temp file will be retained to, then when back in wi fi range more messages ask to resolve conflicts, and still there are more problems with uploading and even after cycling through skydrive from pc to device trying to open the file from the office hub returns an error message that " We're having trouble downloading this document. Do you want to open it in the browser instead? So I tap yes and it takes me to my windows live skydrive and guess what? Not even the MOST recent edit done IN skydrive is there!

The bottom line is that for a device that says it has on board microsoft office mobile versions that integrate with online storage this is just way too much hassle to try to maintain office files. It is a real let down. Having MS apps native to my smartphone was a HUGE influence on my decision to get the Arrive.

You can either use files JUST via Skydrive or JUST via the phone - but don't expect the two to share information or synchronize information.

No real world office files integration, no screenshots, no volume control separation, no customizable ringtones for groups, no bluetooth file transfer, limited color selections for tiles, no usb connectivity, no on board file manager, no ability to rename photos, no ability to move photos to albums on device, no ability to create albums on board, basically without a wi-fi or cell connection the device is severely limited in it's "smart" capabilities, and even with wireless connections MS has severely curtailed the WP experience - except for those only interested in tweeting, facebook and games.

If I was the betting type, I'd bet that IF MS addressed these shortcomings - that the WP platform would be taken seriously and there would be a bigger impact on their share of smartphone sales! But I'm not going to hold my breath and I'm done with this discussion!

Bon Voyage!

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I will test your use case shortly. I highly doubt it's as big of a deal as you're making it out to be, but to each his own. If it's a deal breaker, I hope you're happy with whatever platform you choose. Windows Phone isn't for everyone - nothing is.

If I was the betting type, I'd bet that IF MS addressed these shortcomings - that the WP platform would be taken seriously and there would be a bigger impact on their share of smartphone sales!
Good thing you're not the betting type, because you'd be losing a lot of money. Au revoir.

Last edited:

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This discussion is obviously going in circles - you don't believe there is any duplication , but I have seen it happening. You say the "key" is to ONLY work from the skydrive copy - but as I posted, I thought too this may be the work around - except when I go to save the edited copy (edited offline then uploaded again) there are messages that skydrive isn't available, a temp file will be retained to, then when back in wi fi range more messages ask to resolve conflicts, and still there are more problems with uploading and even after cycling through skydrive from pc to device trying to open the file from the office hub returns an error message that " We're having trouble downloading this document. Do you want to open it in the browser instead? So I tap yes and it takes me to my windows live skydrive and guess what? Not even the MOST recent edit done IN skydrive is there!

The bottom line is that for a device that says it has on board microsoft office mobile versions that integrate with online storage this is just way too much hassle to try to maintain office files. It is a real let down. Having MS apps native to my smartphone was a HUGE influence on my decision to get the Arrive.

You can either use files JUST via Skydrive or JUST via the phone - but don't expect the two to share information or synchronize information.

No real world office files integration, no screenshots, no volume control separation, no customizable ringtones for groups, no bluetooth file transfer, limited color selections for tiles, no usb connectivity, no on board file manager, no ability to rename photos, no ability to move photos to albums on device, no ability to create albums on board, basically without a wi-fi or cell connection the device is severely limited in it's "smart" capabilities, and even with wireless connections MS has severely curtailed the WP experience - except for those only interested in tweeting, facebook and games.

If I was the betting type, I'd bet that IF MS addressed these shortcomings - that the WP platform would be taken seriously and there would be a bigger impact on their share of smartphone sales! But I'm not going to hold my breath and I'm done with this discussion!

Bon Voyage!

If you're having trouble using the Skydrive website, use the official Skydrive application for Windows: https://apps.live.com/skydrive

Open and use the files like it was just another folder on your system.

If you're still having issues, then it's definitely an issue on your end. No duplication should happen using the Skydrive app in Windows Explorer and using the Office Hub in Windows Phone. It will sync correctly, I use this method regularly and never had an issue.

And I have to ask, didn't you know before buying a Windows Phone that those limitations existed? You just end up creating a thread and repeting the same arguments Android users over and over again.

The only thing I agree with you is the photo management, you do need a PC (btw guys, is there any app for photo management?). But the other stuff, I won't ever need it and never used it even with my Symbian and Android devices.

The best OS out there for my needs and usage is definitely Windows Phone.

Last edited:

smapor

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
@ rockstarzz: following your attempt:
1)created file on phone (which is where I want to start went doing field work).
Excel file called dumbphone
2) Saved to phone ( because if I am in the field - skydrive will NOT be accessible).
3) Opened file from phone when in wi-fi proximity.
4) SHARED to skydrive.
5) Opened file from skydrive, edited, saved.
6) Go to phone
7) open file from skydrive - shows most recent edit.
8) open file on phone - does NOT have most recent edit (both tiles display same name but have different locations). edited file, saved.
9) open file on skydrive - most recent edit is there that was done on skydrive, closed file, saved.
10) open either file on device and share and guess what? the files get duplicated on skydrive!
11) now how many tiles are displaying the same named files?
go to skydrive and see the sequential duplications!

Two tiles now displaying both having the same name, but different locales and each has different information!

YOU tell ME which file is most current by looking at your device - especially if you haven't edited the file within a few days!

I use MS office all day long at work. I can save a file in multiple places as the same name, but I have to TELL the PC where to save it each time I save.

Due to frequent server issues in our company, I will save the file to the local PC in my documents folder as well as the company's shared drive. I use multiple excel files, so will save as a workgroup. But within the workgroup are files that are shared. Other employees access those saved files from the company's shared drive (outside of my workgroup), edit and save. When I open the file the changes are evident and when I then save to both places - the older files are overwritten ( usually after receiving a prompt). The files don't get duplicated with each edit and added to the drive with each save! You can go to either location and open the individual file and it will have the most current information!

But in WP the files are NOT getting overwritten when sharing - they get duplicated. Then I get to delete the duplicated file from the phone but not from skydrive - even though I am IN the skydrive page! The files still display on the office hub's skydrive page!

Now its off to the PC to access skydrive and delete the files for real oh joy! So much for integration and ease of access.

Thought I had a work around to the phone's lack of integration which was to open the file from skydrive app. Edited with wi-fi off ( to simulate being in the field) saving prompted that a temp file would be created. A second edit done just to see if multiple edits wold remain in temp status.

Turned wi-fi on and opened file from skydrive APP. Edits were there! ok - so is this progress?

Edited again, went to save, now have prompt that a conflict exists and am being directed to Office hub to resolve it!

Have to tap and hold, view status and the display indicates time of last successful upload and time of last update attempt and a selection for resolve. Selecting Resolve offers choice to overwrite from phone to server or from server to phone. HAH! Finally a reference for actually sync choice! selections offered are "refresh copy" and "save as".

But even though wi-fi is on - phone is still returning error message that it cannot connect - :mad:

This is a fiasco!

I did exactly what you did and saw the problem. However I, i treated this as a way for Microsoft to not remove your local file on your phone because it didn't want to assume to delete it.

They could make a simple prompt to delete the local file when you share it.

Either way, windows 8 will resolve alot of issue. I rather they spend all their energy doing it right in W8 vs fixing an older platform.

Also, you shouldn't be saving company work to public storage ;)

In large enterprises, Android phones are a nightmare to support. I am not talking about getting email but mobile device management. To this day, Android phones are not allowed on our networks.

Last edited:

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
If you're having trouble using the Skydrive website, use the official Skydrive application for Windows: https://apps.live.com/skydrive

Open and use the files like it was just another folder on your system.

If you're still having issues, then it's definitely an issue on your end. No duplication should happen using the Skydrive app in Windows Explorer and using the Office Hub in Windows Phone. It will sync correctly, I use this method regularly and never had an issue.

And I have to ask, didn't you know before buying a Windows Phone that those limitations existed? You just end up creating a thread and repeting the same arguments Android users over and over again.

The only thing I agree with you is the photo management, you do need a PC (btw guys, is there any app for photo management?). But the other stuff, I won't ever need it and never used it even with my Symbian and Android devices.

The best OS out there for my needs and usage is definitely Windows Phone.
Ya jest had to drag me back into this dincha? If you weren't so blindly defending a nicely wrapped package with very little substance, you could answer your own queries.

And I have to ask, didn't you know before buying a Windows Phone that those limitations existed?

Go to MS Windowsphone discover page and tell me where it says the device only allows editing of 2010 Office documents - all others are read only? Being that MS Office documents are so ubiquitous - and that WP7 does come from a long line of mobile devices that utilized at least some form of Office documents, who would have dreamed of the Office file "limitations"?

As for the USB connectivity - being that it uses a micro usb connector - in this day of hi- tech devices, this is pretty much a given that this port allows exchange of info between device and PC - considering the older WinMO devices that had this capability to see and manipulate files via usb connection - WHY would a new user of this device even dream such a "limitation" existed?

I HAVE installed the skydrive app and if you read what I've already posted, you'll see that it doesn't always integrate with the device and skydrive either. Furthermore, the app itself is limited by wireless connectivity. For those of you who are never out of connection - you just can't comprehend the "limitations" involved.

Regarding bluetooth file transfer, again I defer to the ancestral devices of WinMo and wonder WHY the newer devices suffer from "limitations"? Especially when we are actually seeing car manufacturers implementing bluetooth connectivity!

Regarding an on board file manager - maybe YOU don't need one, but in the business world sometimes it is necessary to email multiple files in ONE email, and with the current "limitations" you cannot do this on WP - a file has to be sent one by one.

The "limitations" regarding photo file naming and album creations would go hand in hand with the file manager/ explorer and yes, again - were available in the ancestral devices of WinMo - so why have they been left off of the newest generation?

In the business world it is common to have contacts grouped according to similar characteristics - WP doesn't offer a way to edit as a group such things as ringtones - those have to be done per contact. not a big deal I guess until you have several hundred contacts and in order to recall what ringtone is used for those contacts in the group means you have to review another contact's info before setting up the new one.

While we are at it - what happened to the "week" view for scheduling? I don't know about YOU, but my life isn't lived day to day- the "limitations" encountered when scheduling get frustrating when you can't even view open appointment slots for the upcoming week.

And how about that "limitation" of the month view? You can't convince me that anyone, except superman can read that calendar! And why can't we zoom in on it?

How about the "limitations" involved when scheduling recurring appointments? While Palm calendars were much more intuitive than WinMo, at least WinMo had daily, weekly, monthly and yearly views that could be read and used!

Are you saying that you knew the "limitations" of the WP device regarding separate volume controls for alarms, alerts, ringtones, media play and system sounds PRIOR to getting the device? Such volume control has been an ability of practically all archaic feature phones and early smartphones and PDAs so why would these controls be left off a hi-tech current device?

Apparently I made suppositions about the WindowsPhone, based upon past experience with WinMo devices - shame on me for thinking MS was moving forward. I was wowed by slick ads, slick displays and slick screens and thinking that they'd got the best of both worlds going now - cuz let's face it the old WinMo devices had awful screens, slow processors and lacked pizzazz.

At this point I could do with less pizzazz and more functionality! I'm stuck with this for another year per contract obligations, so maybe with luck Apollo may bring an end to many frustrating Windows Phone "limitations" - what do you think?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i hope so! my fingers are sore just reading this thread! i think all of us are waiting on apollo to fill some gaps, and we have high hopes! i am going to stay optimistic until i am dissatisfied.as of now, i am happy with my trophy. altrhough there are a few things i wish i could change too. not to worry pocketfuzz, apollo will be your guiding light!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Ya jest had to drag me back into this dincha? If you weren't so blindly defending a nicely wrapped package with very little substance, you could answer your own queries.

Go to MS Windowsphone discover page and tell me where it says the device only allows editing of 2010 Office documents - all others are read only? Being that MS Office documents are so ubiquitous - and that WP7 does come from a long line of mobile devices that utilized at least some form of Office documents, who would have dreamed of the Office file "limitations"?
the .docx ,.xlsx,.pptx extensions were created with office 2007 not 2010
As for the USB connectivity - being that it uses a micro usb connector - in this day of hi- tech devices, this is pretty much a given that this port allows exchange of info between device and PC - considering the older WinMO devices that had this capability to see and manipulate files via usb connection - WHY would a new user of this device even dream such a "limitation" existed?
it interfaces this way when Zune is running. This method works great for iPhone users and there is a hack to enable what you want
I HAVE installed the skydrive app and if you read what I've already posted, you'll see that it doesn't always integrate with the device and skydrive either. Furthermore, the app itself is limited by wireless connectivity. For those of you who are never out of connection - you just can't comprehend the "limitations" involved.
You have to wait for it to refresh
Regarding bluetooth file transfer, again I defer to the ancestral devices of WinMo and wonder WHY the newer devices suffer from "limitations"? Especially when we are actually seeing car manufacturers implementing bluetooth connectivity!
cars do not have Bluetooth file transfer,just A2DP,AVRCP and headset which is what WP supports
Regarding an on board file manager - maybe YOU don't need one, but in the business world sometimes it is necessary to email multiple files in ONE email, and with the current "limitations" you cannot do this on WP - a file has to be sent one by one.
this is false, using the SkyDrive app you can batch share files through email
The "limitations" regarding photo file naming and album creations would go hand in hand with the file manager/ explorer and yes, again - were available in the ancestral devices of WinMo - so why have they been left off of the newest generation?
SkyDrive app
In the business world it is common to have contacts grouped according to similar characteristics - WP doesn't offer a way to edit as a group such things as ringtones - those have to be done per contact. not a big deal I guess until you have several hundred contacts and in order to recall what ringtone is used for those contacts in the group means you have to review another contact's info before setting up the new one.
feature phones didn't have this ability nor did the older WM phones
While we are at it - what happened to the "week" view for scheduling? I don't know about YOU, but my life isn't lived day to day- the "limitations" encountered when scheduling get frustrating when you can't even view open appointment slots for the upcoming week.
that's why there's an agenda view, whole week at a single glance.
And how about that "limitation" of the month view? You can't convince me that anyone, except superman can read that calendar! And why can't we zoom in on it?

How about the "limitations" involved when scheduling recurring appointments? While Palm calendars were much more intuitive than WinMo, at least WinMo had daily, weekly, monthly and yearly views that could be read and used!

Are you saying that you knew the "limitations" of the WP device regarding separate volume controls for alarms, alerts, ringtones, media play and system sounds PRIOR to getting the device? Such volume control has been an ability of practically all archaic feature phones and early smartphones and PDAs so why would these controls be left off a hi-tech current device?
my old dell axim x51v only had one main volume control, WM phones had 2, one for system/ringtone and the other for the phone which WP also has.
Apparently I made suppositions about the WindowsPhone, based upon past experience with WinMo devices - shame on me for thinking MS was moving forward. I was wowed by slick ads, slick displays and slick screens and thinking that they'd got the best of both worlds going now - cuz let's face it the old WinMo devices had awful screens, slow processors and lacked pizzazz.

At this point I could do with less pizzazz and more functionality! I'm stuck with this for another year per contract obligations, so maybe with luck Apollo may bring an end to many frustrating Windows Phone "limitations" - what do you think?

my points are in blue and are the same things others have said several times already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre