Why WP isn't as popular as it should be.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
looking forward to that day.

and im not sure what your talking about android becoming affordable .. you can get Androids for 100$ brand new LOL.

ether way . enjoy your hard resets and battery pulls :)

Ditto. I wish him luck with Android and hope he buys one soon because this board doesn't need haters and Android trolls.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ignoring people like me will hasten the demise of this OS. There needs to be worthy alternative to Android, but I'm afraid there isn't.

lol wow self centered much.

ignoring people like you is what made MS the great company it is today. im yet to see you give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

the os is blend and boring... the Iphone is 100% more blend and boring and hasn't been innovative in 3 years + ... BUT they still sale like hotcakes! lol...

I personally dont see what you find so FUN and not boring on Android... static icons .. i actually moved away from android cause it was boring , static , bugy , lagy , annoying as **** not to mention 90% of the apps on android SUCK( buggy and crash ) or has mall ware.

enjoy :)

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The numbers are with me. WP users are a fringe minority.

well WP growth are UP so obviously they are doign something right .. and its continuing to grow. ...

and MS does listen to people like you * we put people first*

its just that you need to make sens for them to really listen. .. they herd you ... then ignored you . lol

then did what was logical . and look where its heading.. UP UP UP!

you have the right to not like WP..... we just dont care .. and frankly getting sick of seeing 10 threads a day about negative WP comments.... specially when its not constructive---> Customer Feedback for Windows Phone

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Holy crap people, stick with the original thread, which was an interesting and constructive understanding of the market and WP7. This thread was one of the only signs of intelligent life I've seen around here, don't mess it up!

BackToAndroid

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
well WP growth are UP so obviously they are doign something right .. and its continuing to grow. ...

and MS does listen to people like you * we put people first*

its just that you need to make sens for them to really listen. .. they herd you ... then ignored you . lol

then did what was logical . and look where its heading.. UP UP UP!

you have the right to not like WP..... we just dont care .. and frankly getting sick of seeing 10 threads a day about negative WP comments.... specially when its not constructive---> Customer Feedback for Windows Phone
The numbers are growing (at least in the UK) because they have drastically reduced the price of the lumia 710. That's the reason I bought one. Now I've satisfied my curiosity, this will very likely be the last Windows phone I ever buy. I'll give it another try at WP11... maybe.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
honestly we sorta do have a list of things that WP needs

more or less:

- notification center
- more colors ( just for more of a custom feel i guess)
- custom ring tunes ( for each number/txt )
- more apps... w/e
- BT file transfers.
- mass storage option ( sorta useless if you know the how to use your phone properly. cause you have all the same function as mass storage )
- save pics from bing search

every thing else ( unless i missed one or 2 little things ) is just personal preference or people wasting air.

you can save pucs from bing search... 2 ways... first actually go to bing.com on the browser, not by clicking the seach button. or if you like to use the search button, when you search an image , click on the hyperlink below image and that will bring up the url. in which case you can long press and save to phone.

avenged24

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
The biggest problem in my area seems to be people having their mind set on an iphone before they even walk into the store. I was at my local Telus store the other day and asked the sales rep how they were doing with the Lumia 800, he said it was selling as well as expected but when someone walks in wanting an iphone, there's no talking them out of it.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
When I was in wireless sales, rule #1 is if someone walks in asking about an iPhone, sell it to them. They're already jaded, on the other hand, if someone just wants an upgrade/new act, this is the opportunity. I tell you, this is where the money is made and reps pushed Android. On VZW, you make no money selling an iPhone. When you are 100% commission, this matters. You push the midrange Android phone because that's where the money is. High end Android phones are ok margins, but the mid tier was a sweet spot.

Now....i left because I couldn't do that. I'm too honest and I was more about educating the customer. Tell them the good and bad about a device. Let them choose. Here, we are finally seeing a worthy option to be that third platform ( cause it sure ain't BB anymore) so this is where differentiation is needed. I'd love to be an AT&T rep right now. I'd be WP7 phones all day. Know the product, the rest is easy, unless its your typical iPhone snob. You know who you are.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
When I was in wireless sales, rule #1 is if someone walks in asking about an iPhone, sell it to them. They're already jaded, on the other hand, if someone just wants an upgrade/new act, this is the opportunity. I tell you, this is where the money is made and reps pushed Android. On VZW, you make no money selling an iPhone. When you are 100% commission, this matters. You push the midrange Android phone because that's where the money is. High end Android phones are ok margins, but the mid tier was a sweet spot.

Now....i left because I couldn't do that. I'm too honest and I was more about educating the customer. Tell them the good and bad about a device. Let them choose. Here, we are finally seeing a worthy option to be that third platform ( cause it sure ain't BB anymore) so this is where differentiation is needed. I'd love to be an AT&T rep right now. I'd be WP7 phones all day. Know the product, the rest is easy, unless its your typical iPhone snob. You know who you are.

i use to be in the same boat , id did 2 years in a store ( for BELL ) and when people came in looking for Iphones i always re-directed them to WM or Android ... Iphone is just a glorified app launcher... and honestly i would sale SOOO MANY WM phones .. actually probably the only one selling them lol.

but its dangerous to push people away from the phone they want. but if you have strong points witch WP has .. then you can do it.

honestly its easy to push any phones... clients are ignorant... here at BELL we got the Iphone 1 year after every one else... i was actually pushing a SAMSUNG INSTINCT ( its not even a Smartphone lol ) and i was telling client it was the competitor to Iphone and they just eat it up!!

like selling ice to an Eskimo .. or a extended warranty on a life warranty unit.. LOL.

its ALL about how you position it.. and honestly I blame sale reps for 90% of WP sales... so if its not doing good blame them.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Where we come into play on the forums is to provide the researcher with information they can use to help prevent some of that. What takes away are the threads that perpetuate the iPhone/Android can so this and WP7 can't. That negativity (yes NEGATIVITY) is what's hurting on here. Go to those platforms if that's what you want. M$ isn't trying to copy them. They want to so things another way, and in many cases, a better way than the other guys. For people to believe that everything they need to so takes an app is the most ridiculous way to sell a product, but they've succeeded and done well at it. I firmly believe that you sell a product that does what you need it to do with minimal app support (make calls, surf the net, update social networks, share photos, etc), then you have a better way of reaching people. I think M$ is on that track. That's why I'm here.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously not trolling. I know many people are satisfied with their phones, but personally speaking; I'm bored stiff with the device (3 weeks in.)

You've had the device three weeks. Two weeks ago, you created a user account named "Back to Android." By my math, you created a user account with the name "back to Android" roughly a week after buying a Windows Phone. There's not a carrier in the country who wouldn't let you swap for an Android phone one week in.

None of this smells right to me.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why (well, actually I do) people are arguing on both sides of this coin. I wish the best for M$, but it really boils down to your needs and lifestyle. You know, get the phone that makes YOU happy. WP devices aren't REALLY meant to be a true computer in your hand. It's a mobile social companion of sorts. If this doesn't do it for you, then you move on and get that other phone that you wish could replace your laptop/desktop computer. People want phones to do so much, but when some phones get to do that much, then thats where you start to see the legs of the system give out and get all wobbly. Android offers ALOT, but there is only so much weight it can hold. It's a flawed fragmented system, but it keeps on selling. They could have all the reboots in the world and some people with still swear by it.

Thing is, it's not really cheap to make a change in OS and phones. So people aren't risking their hard earned stacks on what they don't know...which is WP7. Give it some time and keep pushing the agenda and more people will follow. Some people aren't power users and just want something basic and nice looking. My mom is one of those. my dad on the other hand considers himself a poweruser....which he isn't. I get questions from him all the time about his android and stuff. Had to school him a few times. lol.

WP7 as of now do the basic things pretty nicely for the most part. WP8 MIGHT be the beast that the outsiders might be looking for. The release of the under spec phones almost seems like a beta test itself to see how many people's attention they can get before getting to the real thing they want to release. Thats just my conspiracy theory though. lol.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The biggest problem in my area seems to be people having their mind set on an iphone before they even walk into the store. I was at my local Telus store the other day and asked the sales rep how they were doing with the Lumia 800, he said it was selling as well as expected but when someone walks in wanting an iphone, there's no talking them out of it.

I can easily talk somebody out of an iPhone it all depends on what ecosystem they are currently using.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I can answer the question at hand.
(1) Android and iOS were the big two when WP launched and it was always going to be a uphill struggle

(2) AT&T was pimping the iPhone hard while Verizon was pimping Droid hard. Outside of us powers users who hang out in forums and know the good/bad/ugly of smartphones, the majority of smartphone buyers the last few years are, well, we will call them the general public. (I'll call them plebes from here on out.) The plebes don't know anything about smartphones other then what they get bombarded with on TV which has been iPhone or Droid. I've always been curious about if the iPhone went to ATT and Verizon at the same time, what would the Android landscape look like? Without Verizon pimping the **** out of the Droid line, would we all be stuck using iPhones or Blackberrys? :)

Also getting the Trophy on VZW way late and not getting anything new is not good.

(3) It was mentioned already, but because the iPod was pretty much THE mp3 player, everybody already had iTunes which made is so easy to sell folks the iPhone. The plebes know iTunes and don't want to learn anything new. Forcing Windows Phone to sync to Zune instead of using someting like Media Player which everybody already had, was a mistake even though I love the Zune software.

(4) Apps, apps, apps. This is a big one for the plebes too. Words with Friends, Draw Something, Angry Birds Space... These are things the plebes see their friends playing and why would they buy a device that they can't play games with their friends? Having substitute games is no way the same.

(5) I don't know what type of impact this has, but it does effect me. The Enterprise support for WP7 was rotten and with 7.5 it is only slightly better. Lack of device encryption eliminates it for any company that has that as a requirement, which is alot.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I will sum-up concisely why I dislike Windows phones:

They are bland, boring and lack basic functionality.

I'm seriously not trolling. I know many people are satisfied with their phones, but personally speaking; I'm bored stiff with the device (3 weeks in.)

You joined a Windows Phone forum with the name "Back to Android" and you dislike Windows Phone.... but you're not trolling?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99