How to move cursor without physical keyboard

dwlovell

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
So lets say you type a sentence and you accidentally forget a space between two words. So you tap at the place you want the space. What happens since the copy/paste patch is that it highlights the entire word with the copy/paste option. You can then resize the copy paste area. However, what I want to do is move the cursor to a specific place and press spacebar to insert a space. Other similar options are to just start typing a new word in the middle of a sentence, etc.

On my HTC Arrive, I could slide out the physical keyboard and it had arrow buttons which accomplished this. I have switched to the Lumia 900 which has no physical keyboard and from what I can tell, my only option is to just erase the whole word and retype it.

Is there any way in the OS to move the cursor around within text without invoking the copy/paste functions?

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
long tap anywhere in the text area. A cursor beam will appear and you can move it to the location you want. Not quite as fast as arrow keys if you only need to go back a few characters, but better than nothing.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
long tap anywhere in the text area. A cursor beam will appear and you can move it to the location you want. Not quite as fast as arrow keys if you only need to go back a few characters, but better than nothing.

Thanks that's nice to know!

Hector1van

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Also notice that while typing, if the word is marked as misspelled you can click it once and the autocorrect bar ( o top of your keyboard)will usually suggest you brake a word appart in two. Usually the first or second option. Try it! I did it thee times in this post!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Also notice that while typing, if the word is marked as misspelled you can click it once and the autocorrect bar ( o top of your keyboard)will usually suggest you brake a word appart in two. Usually the first or second option. Try it! I did it thee times in this post!

Are you sure you used autocorrect? I can see it missing brake for break as it doesn't always catch grammatical errors, but appart does get picked up by it.

Just messin with ya. ;-)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure you used autocorrect? I can see it missing brake for break as it doesn't always catch grammatical errors, but appart does get picked up by it.
In all seriousness though, I have run into several instances where I've typed an extra letter in the mix, and the suggestions don't adequately compensate for it.

Hector1van

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
In all seriousness though, I have run into several instances where I've typed an extra letter in the mix, and the suggestions don't adequately compensate for it.
I turn off autocorrect on the phone as I am multilingual Spanish and sometimes I don't catch the breaks. But the trick for the first poster applies. no need to bring the cursor, just autocorrect the word.

dwlovell

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

While this is good advice, the question I posted was a contrived example to make it easy to describe what I needed to do. There are many situations where I need to get into the middle of some text that have nothing to do with just mispelling or missing a space. An example is copy/pasting a url and then needing to update part of it without re-typing. I wanted a simple example so everyone would understand what I was trying to do.

The solution to tap and hold is exactly what I needed. Auto-correct does not solve the scenarios that motivated me to make this post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa