Why the need for higher res screens and quad core processors?

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
The truth, as usual, is somewhere in the middle. My gnex definitely has smoother video playback than my lumia. Ditto for iPhone. However, OS operations-scrolling, app changes, etc - are as smooth on the lumia as the iPhone. My gnex also won't go more than 18 hours on a charge...my lumia's working on 24 so far with 25% left. IPhone also does well on battery...but has a screen so small that despite the truly excellent quality is harder to use because everything has to be zoomed. For day to day usability I love the lumia. If I'm going to watch a movie, I'll use the gnex.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This is why I'm a user not fan, users want things fixing, fans want to make excuse for stuff. As it currently stands, WP7 best meets my needs but it's missing stuff (as are other platforms in other ways) and honest feedback is better than some of the uncritical nonsense that fans push out.

Having said that it's a problem across platforms, WebOS and Blackberry fans are just the same in burying their head in the sand when it comes to the failing of their platforms. I'm a user and I constantly want every platform to fight for my business not for me to spend my time blowing smoke up their ***.

The needs and demands of each person will vary whether you call them a user or a fan. It is just as delusional to suggest that everyone should care about what you care about because you care about it. You'd be hard pressed to find a single person on this board that doesn't have their own personalized list of criticisms of the platform. Everyone on this board want to see WP get better, but better is a subjective term and can't be standardized across every forum member. Your crusades may be important to you but don't dare try to say other people aren't as concerned about the platform because their criticisms are different than yours.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The needs and demands of each person will vary whether you call them a user or a fan. It is just as delusional to suggest that everyone should care about what you care about because you care about it. You'd be hard pressed to find a single person on this board that doesn't have their own personalized list of criticisms of the platform. Everyone on this board want to see WP get better, but better is a subjective term and can't be standardized across every forum member. Your crusades may be important to you but don't dare try to say other people aren't as concerned about the platform because their criticisms are different than yours.

huh? That's my point, users don't generally have crusades because they simply don't care in the way that a fan does, I just want something that works and if doesn't I swop to something that does - like the majority of normal people. If I say I want X,Y and Z and it doesn't appear, I don't cry about it or make facebook campaigns or ask questions like "How many WPs have you sold?" - I just move on.

more simply, I care about features rather than the platform or the corporations behind them (Cheer-leading multinational corporations unless you have shares in them or work for them is the oddest thing I've ever seen - the crackberry forum in particular is a scary place because of that, it's like a cargo-cult).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
And so you think if Microsoft properly optimises for an additional three cores, the OS would still be incapable of rendering a reasonable amount of frames while loading data? You think it won't be a big deal to have immediate recognition of input I provide through touch at any time?

And I thought Windows Phone fans shared my passion for a smooth, elegant experience. I guess every logical argument goes down the drain once someone finds themselves on the defensive.

Also, you failed to meet my dare. Hence, you acknowledge that the underpowered hardware is holding back Microsoft from achieving a buttery-smooth experience throughout.

I don't think anyone would argue that the new WP8 OS that is optimized for multiple cores won't deliver more performance.

I think you should try not to mistake optimism and people who want to enjoy their phones NOW as "blowing smoke". Of course everyone would like more performance, higher resolutions. Its just that not everyone wants to constantly complain about it because common sense tells you that all of that is coming and all the griping on message boards in the world won't make it it come a minute faster.

Personally I'd like to enjoy my phone now and I'd prefer it if this board doesn't descend into a constant b1tchfest that discourages new users and accomplishes nothing. We all know what the limitations of the platform are. Rehashing them in threads like this everyday is counterproductive.
As for your laptop, buyer beware. You should do your own research. I don't know how it's the fault if any forum that you didn't know that 1600x900 is better than 1366x768, or that you didn't simply look up benchmarks for the graphics card on a reputable source like anandtech.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
huh? That's my point, users don't generally have crusades because they simply don't care in the way that a fan does, I just want something that works and if doesn't I swop to something that does - like the majority of normal people. If I say I want X,Y and Z and it doesn't appear, I don't cry about it or make facebook campaigns or ask questions like "How many WPs have you sold?" - I just move on.

more simply, I care about features rather than the platform or the corporations behind them (Cheer-leading multinational corporations unless you have shares in them or work for them is the oddest thing I've ever seen - the crackberry forum in particular is a scary place because of that, it's like a cargo-cult).

There is no difference between a user and a fan. Trying to separate the two groups is meaningless. Saying that you will move on doesn't put you into a special category because any unsatisfied customer will move on eventually. Signing up for the forums put you in the same boat as everyone else, whether you wanted that or not.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
There is no difference between a user and a fan.

Nonsense - saying "I want feature X, anyone know if it's going to be provided" is clearly different from "I've supporting the platform by buying shares in microsoft!" or spending your time trying to convert people.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Nonsense - saying "I want feature X, anyone know if it's going to be provided" is clearly different from "I've supporting the platform by buying shares in microsoft!" or spending your time trying to convert people.

Interacting with other forum members means you are promoting (or condemning) WP whether you wanted to or not. It's not possible control how people interrupt your posts. Something as simply as answering a question or talking about a certain feature could lead to another sale. You don't have to go on a crusade or officially endorse a product to affect sales and perception. Saying I'm not one of you guys while doing the same thing that one of you guys does actually just makes you one of the guys. Maybe you don't routinely shout the praises of WP, but your pedestal is at the same level as everyone else's. The only way to keep people from having an opinion of your posts is to not talk at all. Furthermore, by buying a Windows Phone you invested money into the platform and Microsoft. So the feature X guy and the I bought MS shares guy from your examples are now the same person because you literally just put money into Microsoft's pocket. Now it's a waste of your money if the platform doesn't get better. You are invested just as much as anyone else who paid for a WP.

Last edited:

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
People buy shares in Microsoft for all sorts of reasons. Microsoft is a major, MAJOR corporation. Windows Phone is a very, very tiny segment of the company. Owning shares of Microsoft doesn't make you a WP ****** or Microsoft ******.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
And so you think if Microsoft properly optimises for an additional three cores, the OS would still be incapable of rendering a reasonable amount of frames while loading data? You think it won't be a big deal to have immediate recognition of input I provide through touch at any time?

And I thought Windows Phone fans shared my passion for a smooth, elegant experience. I guess every logical argument goes down the drain once someone finds themselves on the defensive.

Also, you failed to meet my dare. Hence, you acknowledge that the underpowered hardware is holding back Microsoft from achieving a buttery-smooth experience throughout.

I think you need to spend less time on devices because your judgement has become impaired. My main issue is with your verbage mostly I guess. You seem to be an extremist. You claim a better screen makes a HUGE difference. Well no it doesn't if you don't care about that. Think about it, you used the word huge. I mean I'm pretty sure no phone screen has made me almost faint in amazement at a HUGE difference. You think no platform has any slowdown at any point when doing specific tasks? It's like you're talking theoretical instead of practical. And daring people on a forum? Yeah go take a break buddy and maybe try to read up on a few middle ground words. I'm not a ******, just someone with perspective.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It is just as delusional to suggest that everyone should care about what you care about because you care about it.

It's a fact that higher resolution screens and better processors will improve the user experience - exactly the thing that is heavily lauded by Windows Phone fans. Over-defensiveness was the topic at hand, but you somehow got "everyone should appreciate elegance" from it (and to be honest, if you don't appreciate elegance I don't see any huge advantage of sticking with Windows Phone).

Higher resolution screens and faster processors aren't needed. GUIs and ASDL connections aren't either, so let's all use the command line and 56K modems. This isn't a case of matching a particular feature, or matching a particular competitor. It's a case of hardware advancement which would benefit the entire experience of every single user.

Many don't use Bluetooth file transfer, many do. But no one needs to wait an extra five seconds before they can start scrolling in an app. No one needs to zoom in and awkwardly horizontal-scroll in order to read webpage content.

I don't know how it's the fault if any forum that you didn't know that 1600x900 is better than 1366x768, or that you didn't simply look up benchmarks for the graphics card on a reputable source like anandtech.
I'm sorry, what? I made the bad decision in passing up on the sale, and now I'm stuck with mediocrity. I was simply stating that I am fully aware that I am behind the curve and quite frankly, it sucks. I don't see why it's somehow acceptable on the phone side, and if you think Microsoft is going to provide extensive support for its devices - it can't do much when the hardware is crap.

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Crap you say. See I would say older, slower, a few different things. But another way to describe it is "just fine" since for just about every average user and many power users like me, it is indeed "just fine". I have a rule I live by, nothing is crap for the right price and appropriate use. It sounds like you need to build a time machine and move to the future because no hardware today will satisfy you. Because it's ALL crap per your needs.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a thread of extreme views. The so called non fanboys versus the fanboys. Unfortunately the non ****** does not realise that by him simply being here it rules himself out and the ****** is what he is defensive and maybe rightly so when talking about Screens and CPU power.

Do we need the higher res screens? As we have found out we do not have one clear answer. I would point to the clearblack display from Nokia of an example when technology is not just about screen resolution but user experience. What we need are screens that improve our experience and that might be a better screen or a better resolution or both. Equally it could be said for the majority certainly on current gen of WP that it is not an issue. Although the perception is certainly that it matters.

Do we need more cores? The same answer could be applied from above but modified to reflect the topic. So a small minority of users would benefit from more power but the majority will be saddled with the "benefit" and will be made to feel it matters the perception again.

As interesting as all this is for me the area that needs addressing most is power. Not power in the form of cpu cycles but power in the form of amps and volts and power that lasts. If I was honest the CPU and screen even on the 800 heck even the Omnia 7 was more than adequate for my use. What is missing is that 7 days between a charge or the 30 days of the kindle on standby. Thats what we need and I wish they would spend more time on that topic tbh instead of introducing more battery sucking features for our "benefit".

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a fact that higher resolution screens and better processors will improve the user experience...

No one is debating whether or not higher specs are better than lower specs. That's your own straw man argument. They are debating whether or not they are satisfied with their devices. Some are, some aren't. So unless you can show me the mathematical formula you're using to measure each individual's user experience, you're gonna have to live with the fact that different people have different opinions of what makes them happy.

Also, if you're going to selectively quote me, at least keep it in context. That line you quoted had absolutely nothing to do with specs. I was talking about treating people as though their opinions are inferior because they chose to focus on something that matters more to them than it does to you.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a rule I live by, nothing is crap for the right price and appropriate use
The Lumia 800 is going against the One X and Galaxy Nexus in my country. Windows Phone excels in the mid-to-low end, but doesn't stack up with the bleeding edge (yet continues to be sold against top-tier Android handsets).

Because it's ALL crap per your needs.
Why are you putting words in my mouth? Can't have an honest debate without some foul play?

the non ****** does not realise that by him simply being here it rules himself out
Are you referencing me? To express a view strongly does not make anyone a "******", but I am curious. What kind of ****** would you label me as? A ****** of progress? Better hardware?

The Omnia 7 is my daily driver and I'm happy with it. However, I would find it very hard to choose a Mango device over the cutting edge Android devices as my next (Apollo is another story). Ultimately, hardware unlocks a lot of potential. You can argue that at a core level, Android is subpar - but if Windows Phone doesn't have the hardware to prove that fact, I could be swayed.

Last edited:

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I was never not satisfied with my 96dpi screen

higher resolution = more pixels that need to be pushed
I remember being about to play crysis on max back in the day simply because my screen was 1440*900

I prefer better graphics to better resolution any day

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
That's your own straw man argument.
I felt like stopping here. There's a simple fact that some people on the Internet need to understand - labelling an opposing view as a straw man, ad hominem, ****** or troll comment does not win you any points. Let me refer you to the thread post:
They want a screen 1280x720 pixels and this on a 4-5inch screen!
This has nothing to do with experience over specs. The OP did not talk about the drawbacks of a higher resolution display on performance, so I think it's safe to assume the point was that these specs aren't needed.

And I'm saying that not needing it is a moot point.

I prefer better graphics to better resolution any day
Absolutely agreed. I can't play my games with decent settings on my 1080p monitor, so I rather use the 1366x768 laptop screen.

However, this thread is double-edged. You bring in gaming - Windows Phone unfortunately does not have the sheer processing muscle to produce incredible graphics without any issues. The Harvest stutters when I use my power-up. A lot of games have low quality textures for the environments.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I felt like stopping here. There's a simple fact that some people on the Internet need to understand - labelling an opposing view as a straw man, ad hominem, ****** or troll comment does not win you any points. Let me refer you to the thread post:

Me: People have different opinions
(you follow with)
You: Higher specs are better

Clearly a straw man argument because it had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. And if I may add, points that were from a non-spec related discussion that I was having with another poster. You used my post as a way to further your own argument even though we're clearly having two different discussions.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Me: People have different opinions
(you follow with)
You: Higher specs are better

Clearly a straw man argument because it had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. You used my post as a way to further your own argument even though we're clearly having two different discussions.
OP essentially said "we don't need to move forwards with newer hardware"
You were replying to cgk1's post, who is sharing my viewpoint

My argument belongs in this thread. I really don't think I incorrectly quoted your post, because it wasn't even about people having a choice. It was a response to cgk1's post, who was saying that some people need to wake up and look at the competition. I totally understand the viewpoint of enjoying what you have, and being content in it. But at the same time, wouldn't you want something better, something competitive with the market leaders?

I am not saying Windows Phone isn't currently competent, since Android has its kinks to work out (and Apple needs to work out how to move its platform forwards without alienating users). But it's the end-game if we continue as is.

I honestly don't see how it is delusional to say that this platform needs to progress, and that everyone would benefit from performance improvements all-round. Look at this thread in context of the current stuff going on in the Windows Phone world, and the tech world in general. I get the overwhelming sense that the mindset of the OP is the kind of thinking that could get this platform in to a lot of trouble.

If you disagree on my interpretation, fine. Don't call my arguments straw mans for the heck of it, though.

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
OP essentially said "we don't need to move forwards with newer hardware"
You were replying to cgk1's post, who is sharing my viewpoint

My argument belongs in this thread. I really don't think I incorrectly quoted your post, because it wasn't even about people having a choice. It was a borderline knee-jerk reaction to a perfectly reasonable argument, perhaps sans the distinction between fan and user.

Whether or not cgk1 shares your view point is irrelevant because cgk1 and me were having a different discussion than the one you tried to force me into.

This is me talking to cgk1
There is no difference between a user and a fan. Trying to separate the two groups is meaningless.

This is your reply to me
It's a fact that higher resolution screens and better processors will improve the user experience.

You may be on topic for the thread but your reply to me is not related to what I was discussing with cgk1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss