Microsoft shut off my Windows Phone and made it useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Blaming defective devices and poor experience on "user error" is stupid.

I shouldn't have to defend the fact that I had multiple defective devices that pushed me over the five-device limit. (I guess defective LCDs with smears across the inside of the screen that show in bright or dark light are "user error.")

And no, deleting the devices from the Windows Phone "marketplace" site online does nothing. I already did that (deleted all devices, in fact) and still get the "you need to remove a device in Zune."

I shouldn't have to wait days, weeks or months for a broken OS to be fixed via "help tickets." I shouldn't have to wait days for a tweeter to get back to me, or have to IM with Microsoft to get a working phone.

Could my mom do any of those things? Nope. Would someone who had a problem with Google Android, Apple iOS, or RIM BlackBerry reasonably expect to follow all the rabbit holes I've been told to follow? Nope.

You don't break the only way to fix this problem (the Zune software), without releasing another clear set of instructions on how to fix it. (Hint: Microsoft's own support site advises people to use now-broken Zune).

That's TERRIBLE user experience.

Google gets it.

Apple gets it.

Even RIM gets it.

Microsoft doesn't.

Makes me sad to say so, since I was such a proponent of Windows Phone, but it's true. This OS is NOT ready for prime time.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I shouldn't have to defend the fact that I had multiple defective devices that pushed me over the five-device limit. (I guess defective LCDs with smears across the inside of the screen that show in bright or dark light are "user error.")

And no, deleting the devices from the Windows Phone "marketplace" site online does nothing. I already did that (deleted all devices, in fact) and still get the "you need to remove a device in Zune."

I shouldn't have to wait days, weeks or months for a broken OS to be fixed via "help tickets." I shouldn't have to wait days for a tweeter to get back to me, or have to IM with Microsoft to get a working phone.

Could my mom do any of those things? Nope. Would someone who had a problem with Google Android, Apple iOS, or RIM BlackBerry reasonably expect to follow all the rabbit holes I've been told to follow? Nope.

You don't break the only way to fix this problem (the Zune software), without releasing another clear set of instructions on how to fix it. (Hint: Microsoft's own support site advises people to use now-broken Zune).

Google gets it.

Apple gets it.

Even RIM gets it.

Microsoft doesn't.

Makes me sad to say so, since I was such a proponent of Windows Phone, but it's true. This OS is NOT ready for prime time.

So did you call up Microsoft or not?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Contact tech support.

How many times to we need to tell you this?

Several people have already posted that they were able to have this resolved via Zune Support in a matter of MINUTES.

With all the time you have wasted complaining here, this could have been resolved a long time ago.

What kind of logic leads a person to believe posting on a forum complaining about this over and over again is a more sensible way to solve the problem than contacting Zune support?

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My car had a broken serpentine belt. Guess what? I didn't go crying to Chevrolet and tell them they "don't get it."

Get over yourself, dude. Making two threads on this isn't going to make us sympathetic. Sometimes in life things don't go your way. You have to treat your problems like an adult and figure out a solution. Going to someone and basically crying about it isn't going to fix things. Sure, it isn't the best policy, and they could outline it a little better, but they have their reasons.

You've been given options to have the issue resolved. I myself had to send a ticket in to have it fixed, and guess what. I waited twelve hours and now I can use five devices again. Inconvenient? Ultimately, no.

Assuming the phone experience minus this hiccup has been fine, you're just acting like a giant baby. Calm down and get a grip, man.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure at this point he's just trolling. Besides apple doesn't get it either they'd just say that he's holding it wrong or something along those lines.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

Google gets it.

Apple gets it.

Even RIM gets it.

Microsoft doesn't.

I really doubt your mom... or the average user, for that matter, is going to own five devices in such a short space of time.

Okay... you've obviously been building up to get this out. Congratulations. WP is in it's place now.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Just to add my own experience, I had an issue with my Zune account, where by I was charged for the subscription after it was cancelled.

Contacted support using the web chat, arranged a time convenient for me for them to call. They called, to the minute, on time. Chatted for 2-3 mins to resolve the issue; two days later the money is back in my account and I get a follow up call from the supervisor to make sure I was happy with the service.

Now, I might be alone here, but that seems like pretty good service to me. But if you're determined to assume that you will be treated badly then yes, buying a new phone is the solution, I hope you're happy with it, but it's safe to assume that you wont be.

However, pretty much anyone who has matured past the age of 12 who has an issue with technology that they cannot resolve themselves will contact customer support. The key is in the name you see; you're the "customer" and they're there to "support" you.

Ordinarily I'd be prepared to say people are being too defensive here (myself included); but when the only step you've taken is to come here to ***** and moan, ignore the advice and the links provided to you and then complain some more; you're in for a world of highly justified mockery.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Google gets it.

Apple gets it.

Even RIM gets it.

Microsoft doesn't.

Google doesn't really count. Not giving a crap and letting your device be a FFA doesn't count.

Apple gets it do they? How much time have you spent using iTunes. Doesn't sound like alot.

Oh, hey look. Apple having the same problem https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3390233? start=15&tstart=0 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3881968?start=0&tstart=0

Can find plenty more if you would like. I've even had auth problems in the past when i had my ipods.

And the once a year is no joke. Apple support can be very anal about iTunes too

RIM? people still use blackberry?

This thread delivers on entertainment.

Last edited:

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Google gets it.

Apple gets it.

Even RIM gets it.

Microsoft doesn't.

"Google gets it." You have now lost all credibility in my mind. Google did not even have a support team when they released their first Android phone. Customers were relegated to forums with other customers to resolve their problems. With Google that is still mostly the case today.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
"Google gets it." You have now lost all credibility in my mind. Google did not even have a support team when they released their first Android phone. Customers were relegated to forums with other customers to resolve their problems. With Google that is still mostly the case today.

Yep. If google gets it as he says I dare him to get google voice support. Like a fish outta water he will be

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a problem with Carbon when I bought it, Marketplace was flaky at the time. Bought it, got charged, Marketplace didn't realize it. Went on Twitter support, they quickly sent me a link for a chat, within a few minutes got on with a support tech, they gave me a call and it was all done (refunded and was able to buy and install properly).

Okay, they may have messed up something in the app removal portion of the Zune update. They will fix it, and in the meantime get on with support and I would expect they would have it fixed for you today. Or keep complaining to all of us. That might work.

Have you tried altering the config file for Zune to get the Marketplace back, maybe it will also let you remove the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes