Microsoft shut off my Windows Phone and made it useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been going through a couple of defective Lumia 710 devices.

I gave up and bought a Radar.

Imagine my shock to discover that, due to all the replacements, I was now at my "five device limit" on my Live.com account, and couldn't use any of my apps!

Imagine my annoyance when the phone instructed me to delete one of the devices using Zune, only to discover that Microsoft had completely stripped away all device management functionality!

Imagine my rage when I discovered I couldn't manage the phones and Windows Phone marketplace online!

Imagine my surprise when I learned that Microsoft had not thought through the implications of this change!

So I am stuck with a useless smartphone that won't run my apps and no way to fix it, because Microsoft eliminated the only way to access the functionalty required (Zune), without putting any thought into it whatsoever.

Worst of all, the phone still instructs you to use Zune to delete the previous phones, even though you can't.

If this isn't fixed within 24 hours, I am dumping Windows Phone. I am tired of these sorts of "mistakes" constantly happening.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Selecting the devices from the silhouette at the bottom removes their sync relationship with the zune client, but it doesn't delete the device to free up that limit. They used to be listed under the computers and zune devices.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Selecting the devices from the silhouette at the bottom removes their sync relationship with the zune client, but it doesn't delete the device to free up that limit. They used to be listed under the computers and zune devices.

Settings -> Account -> Computers and Devices should be the same thing. Its supposed to be anyway.

It says Zune Music Pass but IIRC it works for the entire association. I think they just forgot to update the text or something. If it has truly been broken you just contact the Zune support folks and they reset it on their end. the only caveat is they just reset everything. from 5 straight to 0

Last edited:

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Honest mistake on your part possibly, but you most certainly can remove a device online. You will need to go here: https://www.windowsphone.com/account sign in, and you should see all your devices listed and ability to remove them seperately.

Oh, and it DOES work. I used it to remove my old HTC 7 Mozart.

EDIT:

Hmm, read your other posts. Apparently, you believe/have found it doesn't remove link to marketplace?

It specifically says your device would be de-linked. I would contact support in your case.

Last edited:

Hector1van

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Can only have 4 devices with zune pass. I had that problem when i exchanged my lumia 900. Get on chat support w ms and he can take whatever phone off the list. You will have to download music to a phone w gamertag to activate music pass on that phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Deleting online via the web site doesn't work, that simply removes the association with "find my phone."

Deleting via Zune only removes the association for Zune Pass, not Windows Phone. Since I didn't use Zune Pass, none of my phones are listed.

Pretty unreal that Microsoft would remove this functionality and destroy user experience. Even worse, the phone still instructs you to use the Zune client, along with Microsoft's own (latest updated) tech support document for the problem.

It's an academic problem at this point, since this is the proverbial camel-spine-breaking straw... went to Sprint and got an iPhone 4S. But it would still be good to have the problem fixed for those who have the patience for this sort of poor user experience.

At the very least, Microsoft should have warned people it was going to remove the functionality from Zune player beforehand, and given a drop-dead date, rather than just cutting off the functionality and issuing a blog post "explaining" why. That would have caught the issue before it actually rendered my phone useless.

Apple and Google wouldn't have done something this stupid and amateurish. Frankly, I would have said the same thing about Microsoft as well, prior to this. These sorts of mistakes are made by tiny startups with no resources, not companies serious about competing in the hard-nosed smartphone game. :(

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Deleting online via the web site doesn't work, that simply removes the association with "find my phone."

Deleting via Zune only removes the association for Zune Pass, not Windows Phone. Since I didn't use Zune Pass, none of my phones are listed.

Pretty unreal that Microsoft would remove this functionality and destroy user experience. Even worse, the phone still instructs you to use the Zune client, along with Microsoft's own (latest updated) tech support document for the problem.

It's an academic problem at this point, since this is the proverbial camel-spine-breaking straw... went to Sprint and got an iPhone 4S. But it would still be good to have the problem fixed for those who have the patience for this sort of poor user experience.

At the very least, Microsoft should have warned people it was going to remove the functionality from Zune player beforehand, and given a drop-dead date, rather than just cutting off the functionality and issuing a blog post "explaining" why. That would have caught the issue before it actually rendered my phone useless.

Apple and Google wouldn't have done something this stupid and amateurish. Frankly, I would have said the same thing about Microsoft as well, prior to this. These sorts of mistakes are made by tiny startups with no resources, not companies serious about competing in the hard-nosed smartphone game. :(

As soon as you cut out the Drama and telling us how bad life is and contact support the quicker it will be resolved.

And you dont think Apple does "stupid and amateurish" things? How long have you been using iTunes?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
As soon as you cut out the Drama and telling us how bad life is and contact support the quicker it will be resolved.

And you dont think Apple does "stupid and amateurish" things? How long have you been using iTunes?

I said in the third post of this thread to contact support and even gave a link. Why hasn't OP done that? .:confused:

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry but this is wrong. I don't know why it hasn't worked for you. Which is why you should contact support.

When removing the device with the procedure I, and others have said, it specifically tells you the device will be removed from the marketplace too. That you will not be able to purchase applications on the device once removed.

sayonical

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the 5 phone limit happened to me when I bought the lumia (had 3 HD7s, radar and Titan)/ I could not remove any phones becuase I did hard resets a few times etc. I didnt have a ***** fest. I somply contact windowsphone twitter support, found a chat link and they reset all my devices within 24hrs. In the mean time I did other things in my life other than download apps.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This guy just wants to get on a soap box to ***** and moan. The fact that he's been through five "defective" phones screams "user error"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb