WP7 Market Needs Changes Bad

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
These are some things that I have noticed while using the Marketplace on my computer. I specify computer because I do most of my browsing of apps on there. Couple will also deal with use on the phone. Hopefully this can become a master marketplace thread for people with an issue with it.

1. Like stated before, Microsoft needs to have the Marketplace in Zune like before. I know there are ways to get it back but you shouldn't have to "get it back."

2. Allow me to access the marketplace on my phone while plugged into the computer. This is just plain dumb and needs to change. Combine this with "1" and now when my phone is charging off my computer, I have to open the windowsphone website to look at apps...really?

3. Allow user to specify language. I was browsing "non-fiction" in "books + reference" and over half of the first results were in asian languages.

4. "Top" results are screwy. I have a hard time believing that almost all the top apps are paid apps. There are way too many cheap people out there. If this also counts "try" downloads along with "buys", it shouldn't. That totally messes up results. I doubt more people are getting PAC-MAN Kart Rally over Wordament. It makes me wonder if Microsoft does this on purpose to help devs. out in making money.

5. Search is so so. I typed "Facebook" and after the main facebook app, I get everything under the sun. It seems like it is pulling any app with facebook in their description anywhere. Search should be based more on titles and keywords.

6. Reviews with no reviews. I don't need to see that MightyMax5 gave "App ABC" 3 stars. I don't care unless there is a review with it. Don't include ratings without reviews attached in the reviews section. It makes ZERO sense.

7. Allow me to sort reviews. Sometimes I like to see all the worst reviews to see if issue people have relate to my specific situation.

8. Don't show reviews in a different language. How does that help me? At least make that an option for people who don't want to get their multilingual-on.

9. Change "Buy" button to "Reinstall" after original purchase. While this isn't a huge one, I have heard of people mad because they thought they had to repurchase an app.

10. Needs a "My Apps" section. I should be able to view all the apps I have downloaded or at least purchased. I really can't believe this isn't included. Reinstaller app is good but why should I need a separate app for this?

I didn't include apps I wanted or prices. I wanted to stick more to design issues.

Please let me know if I am wrong about any of this, such as a setting I don't know about. Also, I will add anymore I think about and that others mention to the post below this.

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Others mentioned in thread:

- Option to open/launch an app if I view it on the market and its already installed.

- Simple "Installed" and "Not Installed" pane would greatly improve the usability of the market place app on the phone.

- "Related Apps" that the marketplace lists aren't very related besides the category they are in.

Last edited:

havox22

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I want an option to open/launch an app if I view it on the market and its already installed, they can add it right next to share

Edit: There is an app called reinstaller that will show u every app you have installed, as well as give you the option to download them all, a few, or just one

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep, but a simple "Installed" and "Not Installed" pane would greatly improve the usability of the market place app on the phone.

If I plan to do a factory reset of my phone I have browse through the entire app list plus the Xbox Hub and write down everything by hand. Then afterwards I can search them all one by one to add them or make use of an 3rd party app (Reinstaller). Not really "Putting People First"

App World always had this App Store came around and added it, Android Market features it as well. It is not an unreasonable request.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

awesumjon

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The only problems I have with the marketplace is the search function kind of sucks and the related tab within the app. Oh, and that I can't use the hardware search in the marketplace anymore (went away when Mango came).

If you don't type in the exact title you probably won't find it and the "related apps" are just the top apps in that category.
A "my apps" section would also be appreciated. I don't really have a problem with anything else, even the other stuff you mentioned.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks PG2G for the info. Still not the most useful method. Could def. be implemented better. Also, still need an option for this on the phone's marketplace.

Havox22, I am assume you mean like the Android market. Not a bad idea. Does come in handy from time to time. Also, I already mentioned Reinstaller.

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
There should also be an option where one can change the location of the store. Chose Belgium the first day, and now I'm stuck with a Dutch marketplace, and I don't even know any Dutch! This is a big problem for me when searching for an app, since I have to write the name in Dutch, and I don't even know what the app is called in Dutch :S A good example is Nokia Transport...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
There should also be an option where one can change the location of the store. Chose Belgium the first day, and now I'm stuck with a Dutch marketplace, and I don't even know any Dutch! This is a big problem for me when searching for an app, since I have to write the name in Dutch, and I don't even know what the app is called in Dutch :S A good example is Nokia Transport...

I am guessing this could be done with a reset of the phone. I think the purpose of having regions is to allow devs to have their apps in some countries and not others. An app may break some copyright rules in one country and not another for example. I understand your problem but I think there is a good reason to have it locked in. Just my thought...

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing this could be done with a reset of the phone. I think the purpose of having regions is to allow devs to have their apps in some countries and not others. An app may break some copyright rules in one country and not another for example. I understand your problem but I think there is a good reason to have it locked in. Just my thought...
If I reset my phone I would have to use a different live Id... Anyway, I didn't want to talk about this because I don't think that anyone else will have the same problem, but in Belgium people use dutch and french. I speak french, and there isn't any way of using french, or English (which I prefer) instead of dutch.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If I reset my phone I would have to use a different live Id... Anyway, I didn't want to talk about this because I don't think that anyone else will have the same problem, but in Belgium people use dutch and french. I speak french, and there isn't any way of using french, or English (which I prefer) instead of dutch.

I agree with Mio_BB. This is a little more specific than you first mentioned. Def. something you should contact Microsoft about. Someone dropped the ball there.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
1 and 2, not a big deal.
3-8) android market has a more severe case of this, I have no problem seeing Spanish reviews tho as that is one of the languages I speak.
9) it says that it won't be charged after hitting buy.
10) android market doesn't have this either, at least not when I was reinstalling apps to my moms ZTE score which had to be hard reset several times.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh great, another member of the brain trust taking their own opinions and using the internet to turn them in to stone cold fact by moaning on a web forum.

Next time just go here and save the rest of us from having to read this drivel: Feature Suggestions: Hot (12650 ideas)

Also, congrats on sounding like a massive xenophobe.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do not consider it "moaning" if one desires to have Marketplace display apps in his or her native language.

I would like the ability to only view descriptions of apps in English, since English is the only language I can read. It has nothing to do with dislike of other languages or nationalities. It is simply due to the fact that I am not literate in other languages.

If I see something like this
UC.png

I do not have any clue what it says.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Mprice....oh great, another user who doesn't understand when someone likes wp7 a lot but can see some things could def. use a change....talk about a comment that doesn't contribute anything to the forums

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
So,

1 and 2 - The Zune software is going to be replaced. We don't know with what, but that's the way it is, and you do have an alternative, which is the Windows Phone website. It's still an "app", just a more of a web app.

If you have your phone plugged in, you have a better browsing experience using the Windows Phone website, and stuff will install anyway, so what's the problem? That's nitpicking.

And the fact is, you're part of the extreme minority. Microsoft has data about who uses what, and almost no one used the Zune marketplace. Mostly, this is something that sucks for *you*.

3. I agree, but the Marketplace needs an overhaul to allow for this, so maybe in Apollo. Also, right now the Marketplace simply isn't that big for this to be annoying.

4. I sort of agree. The "Top" results show only the top paid, and the free section shows the top free apps, so there's no issue here. Maybe the "Top" should simply be named to "Paid", it would make more sense. But there's no real issue here.

5. Don't really have any complaints here. Search is search, you might be looking for the official Facebook app, but other people might be looking for something else.

6. You could force people to write a review, but then you were forcing people to write a review. See the problem here?

7. I agree. Probably it's something that I would never use, but couldn't hurt.

8. If people in your country write in another language, it's their decision, not Microsoft.

9. I agree, it's a little confusing.

10. Well, you do have that, but it's on the Windows Phone website, under "My Account". So I agree with you, we should be able to have a similar function on the phone.

So, out of 10 issues, I agree with 4: 3,7, 9 and 10. The rest are a little unfair and too specific for you.

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So,

1 and 2 - The Zune software is going to be replaced. We don't know with what, but that's the way it is, and you do have an alternative, which is the Windows Phone website. It's still an "app", just a more of a web app.

If you have your phone plugged in, you have a better browsing experience using the Windows Phone website, and stuff will install anyway, so what's the problem? That's nitpicking.

And the fact is, you're part of the extreme minority. Microsoft has data about who uses what, and almost no one used the Zune marketplace. Mostly, this is something that sucks for *you*.

3. I agree, but the Marketplace needs an overhaul to allow for this, so maybe in Apollo. Also, right now the Marketplace simply isn't that big for this to be annoying.

4. I sort of agree. The "Top" results show only the top paid, and the free section shows the top free apps, so there's no issue here. Maybe the "Top" should simply be named to "Paid", it would make more sense. But there's no real issue here.

5. Don't really have any complaints here. Search is search, you might be looking for the official Facebook app, but other people might be looking for something else.

6. You could force people to write a review, but then you were forcing people to write a review. See the problem here?

7. I agree. Probably it's something that I would never use, but couldn't hurt.

8. If people in your country write in another language, it's their decision, not Microsoft.

9. I agree, it's a little confusing.

10. Well, you do have that, but it's on the Windows Phone website, under "My Account". So I agree with you, we should be able to have a similar function on the phone.

So, out of 10 issues, I agree with 4: 3,7, 9 and 10. The rest are a little unfair and too specific for you.

Maybe I am one of the few who used the software. I guess since it pops up already when you plug your phone in, I just assume to use it.

As far as the reviews go, I didn't mean to force people to write a review. You can just rate an app and have to averaged into the star rating system. I just wanted the only ones to show separately the ones who wrote reviews. If that explains it any better...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa