WP7 Market Needs Changes Bad

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I am one of the few who used the software. I guess since it pops up already when you plug your phone in, I just assume to use it.

I used the Zune Marketplace about 4 times. Then I discovered the Windows Phone Marketplace website and started using that instead, simply because I could "send" apps to my phone without connecting it to my PC. I guess many people also do that, or simply go straight to the Marketplace in the phone.

I don't say it wasn't useful for some people, but it's something that almost nobody used, so Microsoft just stopped supporting it and moved the resources elsewhere.

Anyway, I they took out the Marketplace from Zune because Windows 8 will bring new software. Either a whole new version of Zune or an alternative. Maybe we'll have our answer with Windows 8 Release Preview, which is coming out the first week of June.

As far as the reviews go, I didn't mean to force people to write a review. You can just rate an app and have to averaged into the star rating system. I just wanted the only ones to show separately the ones who wrote reviews. If that explains it any better...

That makes more sense. A simple solution would be to simply bump the written reviews to the top and leave the rest below.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
These are some things that I have noticed while using the Marketplace on my computer. I specify computer because I do most of my browsing of apps on there. Couple will also deal with use on the phone. Hopefully this can become a master marketplace thread for people with an issue with it.
1. Like stated before, Microsoft needs to have the Marketplace in Zune like before. I know there are ways to get it back but you shouldn't have to "get it back."
2. Allow me to access the marketplace on my phone while plugged into the computer. This is just plain dumb and needs to change. Combine this with "1" and now when my phone is charging off my computer, I have to open the windowsphone website to look at apps...really?
3. Allow user to specify language. I was browsing "non-fiction" in "books + reference" and over half of the first results were in asian languages.
4. "Top" results are screwy. I have a hard time believing that almost all the top apps are paid apps. There are way too many cheap people out there. If this also counts "try" downloads along with "buys", it shouldn't. That totally messes up results. I doubt more people are getting PAC-MAN Kart Rally over Wordament. It makes me wonder if Microsoft does this on purpose to help devs. out in making money.
5. Search is so so. I typed "Facebook" and after the main facebook app, I get everything under the sun. It seems like it is pulling any app with facebook in their description anywhere. Search should be based more on titles and keywords.
6. Reviews with no reviews. I don't need to see that MightyMax5 gave "App ABC" 3 stars. I don't care unless there is a review with it. Don't include ratings without reviews attached in the reviews section. It makes ZERO sense.
7. Allow me to sort reviews. Sometimes I like to see all the worst reviews to see if issue people have relate to my specific situation.
8. Don't show reviews in a different language. How does that help me? At least make that an option for people who don't want to get their multilingual-on.
9. Change "Buy" button to "Reinstall" after original purchase. While this isn't a huge one, I have heard of people mad because they thought they had to repurchase an app.
10. Needs a "My Apps" section. I should be able to view all the apps I have downloaded or at least purchased. I really can't believe this isn't included. Reinstaller app is good but why should I need a separate app for this?
I didn't include apps I wanted or prices. I wanted to stick more to design issues.
Please let me know if I am wrong about any of this, such as a setting I don't know about. Also, I will add anymore I think about and that others mention to the post below this.

few things.

the marketplace is gona be *coming back* or re enabling some features , they are working on an update to re-brand it .. thought this was known to any one that reads more then 5min a day.

2: you can access the marketplace when your plugged in , your phone just turns data off by default when plug in , there is a way to turn it back on.
4: is 100% based on User reviews , and obviously if there is a TIE between a XBL game and a Indy game the XBL game will take top spot...
6: Meh your just being picky here , just like I wish people dint complain so much on this site*cought*
7: normally you see NEW reviews witch is a good thing cause if you saw OLD reviews you would just get annoyed with outdated reviews that no longer make sens cause of UPDATES.
8... .... ...
9: Get informed: problem solved.
10: there is an option to see all your apps.... 2 option to be exact,,, Zune + re-installer

And I’m glad you dint mention apps and price cause I would closed the thread… think we have like over 100 threads related to price and apps… not to mention if you actually read the GETTING STARTED thread its all explained.

People LOVE to Write and RENT/complain … I just wish they loved to READ and Research just as much!

Ignorance is bliss

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
few things.

the marketplace is gona be *coming back* or re enabling some features , they are working on an update to re-brand it .. thought this was known to any one that reads more then 5min a day.

2: you can access the marketplace when your plugged in , your phone just turns data off by default when plug in , there is a way to turn it back on.
4: is 100% based on User reviews , and obviously if there is a TIE between a XBL game and a Indy game the XBL game will take top spot...
6: Meh your just being picky here , just like I wish people dint complain so much on this site*cought*
7: normally you see NEW reviews witch is a good thing cause if you saw OLD reviews you would just get annoyed with outdated reviews that no longer make sens cause of UPDATES.
8... .... ...
9: Get informed: problem solved.
10: there is an option to see all your apps.... 2 option to be exact,,, Zune + re-installer

And I?m glad you dint mention apps and price cause I would closed the thread? think we have like over 100 threads related to price and apps? not to mention if you actually read the GETTING STARTED thread its all explained.

People LOVE to Write and RENT/complain ? I just wish they loved to READ and Research just as much!

Ignorance is bliss

I love a Mod who likes to basically call people who post on a somewhat daily basis dumb. Thanks man.

And on what you had to say:

2. I have never heard of this and if true, please do share how instead of saying "there is a way". I just plugged my 900 in and it says to view content, disconnect phone from computer. So please let me know how I can use marketplace on my phone while it is plugged into my computer. It would be useful for me.

4. Okay, is it based on reviews for the current version, all-time, last month/week? I just went to the marketplace and looked at top games. The third listed is Pacman Kart Rally and it has a 3 star rating. I would like to know what part of the reviews makes it the third listed. You act like you know everything so please be more specific.

6. Not sure how this is picky. I go to reviews to get quick opinions. If I have to go through 50 ratings to get 6 or so people's reviews, how can that be the best method? It's called improvement.

7. I agree seeing the newest reviews to start with is the correct way of doing it. That is not what I said though. I just also wanted to see a way of sorting There is a reason pretty much every online store allows you to sort reviews. It seems like you think it is evil to suggest a change or addition could benefit the Marketplace.

8.... (way to contribute)

9. Again, thanks for being a jerk. I already know that pressing buy doesn't cause you to be charged again. I am talking for the people who are tech smart, don't read forums and are a little scared with change (like coming from a different mobile OS). The point is, make it as simple and as easy to understand as possible. When your trying to draw people in, making things intuitive from the beginning helps a lot. Much of the OS is already simple to understand and pick up. I just wanted to see the trend continue.

10. Must not be able to read considering I mentioned reinstaller. Also, you must not be able to read a thread because someone already clued me into seeing my apps inside Zune. Doesn't it make sense to be able to see the info from the phone also?

I am not trying to be mean but you have been the rudest response I have received in any thread from any poster. This should not be the case for a Mod. Since you think I am the type that just complains, check out my thread "Why Looks Matter."

Thank you to the people who were helpful or contributed to this thread.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I love a Mod who likes to basically call people who post on a somewhat daily basis dumb. Thanks man.

And on what you had to say:

2. I have never heard of this and if true, please do share how instead of saying "there is a way". I just plugged my 900 in and it says to view content, disconnect phone from computer. So please let me know how I can use marketplace on my phone while it is plugged into my computer. It would be useful for me.

4. Okay, is it based on reviews for the current version, all-time, last month/week? I just went to the marketplace and looked at top games. The third listed is Pacman Kart Rally and it has a 3 star rating. I would like to know what part of the reviews makes it the third listed. You act like you know everything so please be more specific.

6. Not sure how this is picky. I go to reviews to get quick opinions. If I have to go through 50 ratings to get 6 or so people's reviews, how can that be the best method? It's called improvement.

7. I agree seeing the newest reviews to start with is the correct way of doing it. That is not what I said though. I just also wanted to see a way of sorting There is a reason pretty much every online store allows you to sort reviews. It seems like you think it is evil to suggest a change or addition could benefit the Marketplace.

8.... (way to contribute)

9. Again, thanks for being a jerk. I already know that pressing buy doesn't cause you to be charged again. I am talking for the people who are tech smart, don't read forums and are a little scared with change (like coming from a different mobile OS). The point is, make it as simple and as easy to understand as possible. When your trying to draw people in, making things intuitive from the beginning helps a lot. Much of the OS is already simple to understand and pick up. I just wanted to see the trend continue.

10. Must not be able to read considering I mentioned reinstaller. Also, you must not be able to read a thread because someone already clued me into seeing my apps inside Zune. Doesn't it make sense to be able to see the info from the phone also?

I am not trying to be mean but you have been the rudest response I have received in any thread from any poster. This should not be the case for a Mod. Since you think I am the type that just complains, check out my thread "Why Looks Matter."

Thank you to the people who were helpful or contributed to this thread.

hmm first of all I never called you dumb , I said ignorance is bliss .
witch means:

1. Lack of knowledge results in happiness.
  2. Sometimes you are more comfortable if you don't know something.
not that bad , dint mean to offend you and if i did I apologize,

it just that you just re-stating the same complaints as every second thread and obviously you ditn read cause you wouldn't of posted an other thread. not to mention im 100% entitle to my opinion, I follow same rules as you,

I'm a MOD not a role model. all that means is that I spend to much time on this site and I have to make sure people follow the BASIC rules. doesn't mean I have to be nice , if anything MOD tent to get more pissed off and annoyed at having to FILTER Multiple threads with the SAME TOPICS! like I had to do here.

If you have any Complaints’ OR Suggestion you would like to share with MICROSOFT you can try here: Customer Feedback for Windows Phone
I have no problem with you giving us your opinion. I just dont care for your suggestion cause it changes nothing. hence why MS made a suggestion page!!! ( you can even get a suggestion APP from MS )

#2 : im not 100% sure right now on how to do it , buts its done with ZUNE on your PC. check the settings. this feature is mention int he sticky threads! http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/190027.htm

#4: Yeah I dont think it actually puts them in order , it just puts the TOPS ratted apps in the TOP SECTION.. witch is ANY app with 2+ rating.

#6 : its picky cause NOTHING is written so you lose NO time reading them right? :) unless you lose time staring at blank pages? scroll down till you see some one that actual left a review .. takes 2 sec...

#7 w/e

#9: if you see the button BUY app , if you click on it the next page TELLS YOU you already paid for it. and if your nto sure even after you click on BUY you still need to confirm the cost ( if you haven already paid for it ) so ether way you will know before the end.

#10. hmmm its the same thing on Iphone. Android And BB's are the only OS's that shows you in the marketplace (on the phone).. . .. did you try the suggestion page? if its a VALID problem people will VOTE if not ... move on.

and honestly clicking on Reinstaler or clicking on Marketplace(if it had it ) = same amount of time.. so whats the problem again? you just wanted to rent? ok.

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
hmm first of all I never called you dumb , I said ignorance is bliss .
witch means:

1. Lack of knowledge results in happiness.
  2. Sometimes you are more comfortable if you don't know something.
not that bad , dint mean to offend you and if i did I apologize,

it just that you just re-stating the same complaints as every second thread and obviously you ditn read cause you wouldn't of posted an other thread. not to mention im 100% entitle to my opinion, I follow same rules as you,

I'm a MOD not a role model. all that means is that I spend to much time on this site and I have to make sure people follow the BASIC rules. doesn't mean I have to be nice , if anything MOD tent to get more pissed off and annoyed at having to FILTER Multiple threads with the SAME TOPICS! like I had to do here.

If you have any Complaints? OR Suggestion you would like to share with MICROSOFT you can try here: Customer Feedback for Windows Phone
I have no problem with you giving us your opinion. I just dont care for your suggestion cause it changes nothing. hence why MS made a suggestion page!!! ( you can even get a suggestion APP from MS )

#2 : im not 100% sure right now on how to do it , buts its done with ZUNE on your PC. check the settings. this feature is mention int he sticky threads! http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/190027.htm

#4: Yeah I dont think it actually puts them in order , it just puts the TOPS ratted apps in the TOP SECTION.. witch is ANY app with 2+ rating.

#6 : its picky cause NOTHING is written so you lose NO time reading them right? :) unless you lose time staring at blank pages? scroll down till you see some one that actual left a review .. takes 2 sec...

#7 w/e

#9: if you see the button BUY app , if you click on it the next page TELLS YOU you already paid for it. and if your nto sure even after you click on BUY you still need to confirm the cost ( if you haven already paid for it ) so ether way you will know before the end.

#10. hmmm its the same thing on Iphone. Android And BB's are the only OS's that shows you in the marketplace (on the phone).. . .. did you try the suggestion page? if its a VALID problem people will VOTE if not ... move on.

and honestly clicking on Reinstaler or clicking on Marketplace(if it had it ) = same amount of time.. so whats the problem again? you just wanted to rent? ok.

While I certain don't look at you as a role model, you still represent the site as a Mod. I understand you didn't call me dumb, you implied it. That said, I don't really care about that. The point of the thread was to focus in on what could make the marketplace environment a more pleasant experience. If every single thing I mentioned is in another thread, your right, I haven't spent 10 hours reading through everything. Still, categorizing marketplace issues/wants/etc. in one thread would make it easier for the more casual reader.

Because I don't want to continue to play this comment by number and I'm most people don't want to read it either, I'm going to just say a couple things. I think we can both agree that it would be nice to see better listing of apps. You should be able to see the top rated apps in any category easily. I can't imagine that would be hard to do. Also, just because you may not find an idea particularly useful, attempt to understand that others may.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry Se1fcr3ation, but I just don't understand your attitude toward those who post somewhat negative things or flaws - or even just potential improvements - relating to Windows Phone. Maybe I'm missing something.

I would even go so far as to say it puts new people off posting here. Sure, some things get brought up quite a bit, but if plenty of people are having similar issues, then it's not surprising that people will post new threads about topics that have already been discussed. Instead of just being blunt with the people who started the threads, you could just merge the discussions. I don't see any need to throw threats around about closing threads.

I realise that some people are just trying to stir things up, but when that happens the forum tends to look after itself in that other users end up picking apart those people's posts and exposing the flaws in their arguments.

Clearly you are a fan of the OS (I am too!), but it does come across as though people cannot criticise WP here without being on the end of a pro-WP rant (which often just comes across as rude) or having the thread closed. I may be exaggerating slightly, but that is certainly my perception of things here.

grimmethod

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

If you close the Zune player on your PC while your phone is connected you can access data and the marketplace on your phone as normal; at least that works with my HD7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs