First Thread! Sharing info vs. android and ios

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I just feel that true users, like most here, should be ambassadors for the platform.

We have to be careful though, that we don't push Windows Phone on people it's not suitable for.

Some folk I know have been asking me recently what phone I'd recommend, and usually these are people that really just want an iPhone. To those people, I have to say that if you really want an iPhone, then nothing else will do for you. There's just no point in pushing WP hard, and saying to people that it's really great and everyone should get one. Because all that'll happen is that if you convince someone to get a WP who actually wants an iPhone, they'll just be disappointed in it. Even if WP is a better all-round experience, it won't matter to someone who already - deep down - knows what they want.

There was a time, seemingly a few months back now, where people would come on here for advice on which OS to go with, and they would get an honest reply. But now it seems there's an agenda to push WP, not really discuss other OS's too much (unless it's in a negative sense), and certainly not talk about WP problems or shortcomings (those threads seem to get closed quickly). I don't think that approach will help anyone.

I was talking to my Mum recently, who is due an upgrade soon. She is fed up with her current android device (too fiddly and unreliable), and doesn't have much clue about the iPhone. Well, in that case she is a perfect fit for WP. It's ideal. But, there's little point in me trying to convince my Apple-loving friend to go WP when all they want is to be able to use the same apps their other iPhone owning friends have got, and just to be able to say they have an iPhone.

I realise that it's a stupid reason to own a phone - just because everyone else has got one. But you'll never convert people that think like that with a logical argument based on WP's strengths. Some people (a lot actually) just don't care about that.

I guess I'm trying to just say that, if we convince people to get a WP that don't really want one, they'll just report it as a bad experience, and that negativity soon generates a reputation. But if we sell WP to those who are ready for it, it stands a good chance at generating the right kind of reputation that spreads, without having to be forced.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
i currently am with android. i enjoy how easy it is to share everything between apps. i share a cool website from my browser to read it later. i can edit a picture and share it with any other app all from within the gallery. but android is sooooooooo ugly and clunky feeling!

There isn't quite as much inter-app integration with Windows Phone as there is in Android, however Windows Phone is better at consolidation a lot of functions within one system app. What I mean is, it's harder to say, get a menu in a third party app which will let you do something with a picture or a file. However, you've got features like the People Hub, which consolidate a lot of functions in one place in an inventive way that lets you do a lot of things you'd have to jump in and out of separate apps in Android to accomplish. I expect Windows Phone 8, the first major re-write of the OS, will include a lot more of that interoperability that you enjoy with Android, but for the time being most of us find that Windows Phone is very capable. You may need to learn some slightly different ways of doing things, but the learning curve is very gentle and almost everything is incredibly intuitive. Coming from Android myself, I can tell you the sense of continuity, clean design and uncluttered "Zen" is a breath of fresh air after living with Android. It's more than worth losing a little functionality to have a phone that is dead reliable and doesn't look like everything was designed by committee on it. Sometimes what you leave out is as important as what you pack in. Android tries to do too much IMO and it's way too sloppy for me to tolerate.

essentially i use my phone to share status's pictures of my daughter with family...

Share Pictures and Videos | Text or Email Pictures | Upload Pictures to the Web | Windows Phone 7

read articles from all over the internet and like to be able to save them to save it later.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/a165137e-d73a-4303-98d8-21ac122dd73e

patch321

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Starting out with my Samsung Skyrocket, I was in love. But due to android's fragmentation, i found that the support for my particular device wasn't near what i expected, even from huge forums. then came the problems that i had with android that i had in other devices. problems that i was assured wouldn't happen with this phone. i won't go into specifics to avoid OS bashing.

i was tired of android, the thought of going back to iOS after android seemed so restricting, and as far as i can see RIM is dead in the water. as i was considering a switch to windows phone i came here and was impressed with the frequency of updates on the threads, feeling that if i had a problem it would be dealt with quickly.

i was right.

i posted a simple question and got a variety of extremely helpful answers. i got loads of information that couldn't be picked up by playing with the demo lumia 900 at the at&t store. i even got some app suggestions (thanks socialcarpet, but i ended up with MetroPaper).

the biggest shock to me after getting my AT&T Samsung Focus Flash, was how everything i wanted to do seemed to already be part of the OS. After booting it up, adding my accounts, and visiting the market for a few staples (facebook, twitter, espn, skydrive), i was done.

wait....what? This is the same guy that annoyed the **** out of his GF (now wife) because he wouldn't stop fidgeting with his phone and downloading tons of apps! i kept scrounging for other apps to download but couldn't justify it to myself. Everything i wanted was in the OS +10 apps.
i didn't need soundhound/shazam...i had bing music,
i didn't need tweetdeck...i had the people hub,
i didn't need a barcode or qr reader...i had bing,
i didn't need aroundme...i had local scout,
i didn't need soundhound/shazam...i had bing music,
i could go on and on!!!

The build quality and smoothness of what was supposed to be a "cheaper" phone was a pleasant surprise as well. no hiccups or hangs at all. AND FROM A SINGLE PROCESSOR? My time with spec-loving android forums tell me that's impossible!!! now i know that specs aren't everything and doesn't mean diddly when it comes to user experience.

having said all this, i WILL say that every OS has it's positives and negatives. If you are a power user who puts a lot of stock into specs and want to be able to hack the white house from a shrub in north carolina, android is your best bet. but i think if you are the average user who texts, calls, browses the internet, and wants to share some pics and documents, THIS IS FOR YOU. i don't personally know people outside forums who want to do more than this with their phone, although i'm sure they're out there somewhere.

but overall i just wanted to say thanks for all the help with my first post/Windows phone. and promise that all my posts won't be this long lol :lol::p;):D

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
We have to be careful though, that we don't push Windows Phone on people it's not suitable for.

Some folk I know have been asking me recently what phone I'd recommend, and usually these are people that really just want an iPhone. To those people, I have to say that if you really want an iPhone, then nothing else will do for you. There's just no point in pushing WP hard, and saying to people that it's really great and everyone should get one. Because all that'll happen is that if you convince someone to get a WP who actually wants an iPhone, they'll just be disappointed in it. Even if WP is a better all-round experience, it won't matter to someone who already - deep down - knows what they want.

There was a time, seemingly a few months back now, where people would come on here for advice on which OS to go with, and they would get an honest reply. But now it seems there's an agenda to push WP, not really discuss other OS's too much (unless it's in a negative sense), and certainly not talk about WP problems or shortcomings (those threads seem to get closed quickly). I don't think that approach will help anyone.

I was talking to my Mum recently, who is due an upgrade soon. She is fed up with her current android device (too fiddly and unreliable), and doesn't have much clue about the iPhone. Well, in that case she is a perfect fit for WP. It's ideal. But, there's little point in me trying to convince my Apple-loving friend to go WP when all they want is to be able to use the same apps their other iPhone owning friends have got, and just to be able to say they have an iPhone.

I realise that it's a stupid reason to own a phone - just because everyone else has got one. But you'll never convert people that think like that with a logical argument based on WP's strengths. Some people (a lot actually) just don't care about that.

I guess I'm trying to just say that, if we convince people to get a WP that don't really want one, they'll just report it as a bad experience, and that negativity soon generates a reputation. But if we sell WP to those who are ready for it, it stands a good chance at generating the right kind of reputation that spreads, without having to be forced.

As you correctly quoted, I said AMBASSADOR, not salesman. There is a world of difference between the two. Also, the OP stated in their initial post the experiences on the other systems. As an AMBASSADOR, we aid in helping the user with the offerings on Windows Phone, and as you see in their last response, it's EXACTLY what they were looking for....not to be directed back to Android/iOS.

I think you failed to see my point in that brief statement you quoted. When I worked for Verizon, if someone came in wanting an iPhone specifically, yes, that's what you sold them. If they want suggestions and options, you provide and educate. If they DON'T want something and tell you why, then you don't push them right back into it. You share the benefits and how it will work towards their needs on the recommendation.

HUGE difference.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
As you correctly quoted, I said AMBASSADOR, not salesman.

I know, I agree with you. I was pointing out that we need to be careful that we don't start suggesting that WP is the answer to everyone's problems when, for some, it just isn't. Some posters here do act like WP salespeople. I wasn't talking about you, just using a line of yours to make a point.

You did also say this though...

I'd you want to recommend something else, Do it at AndroidCentral or any of the hundreds of iOS sites...none of which I know because I don't go there to preach Android or Windows.

Recently it seems that people who recommend different OS's to other posters asking for advice seem to get set upon.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree. My mom doesn't like the design of Metro UI and is used to Android so she probably doesn't want to learn a new OS.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
As you correctly quoted, I said AMBASSADOR, not salesman. There is a world of difference between the two. Also, the OP stated in their initial post the experiences on the other systems. As an AMBASSADOR, we aid in helping the user with the offerings on Windows Phone, and as you see in their last response, it's EXACTLY what they were looking for....not to be directed back to Android/iOS.

Agreed. That's exactly how I approach it. Another way to put it is "attraction, not promotion". We don't want to proselytize.

I haven't tried to talk a single person into getting a Windows Phone. A few people have asked me about my phone, and if they should get one. I always show them the phone and explain what I love about it. Everyone who knows me knows I am enthusiastic about Windows Phone. But at the same time, I always add the caveat that there may be some applications they won't be able get and that the phone works a bit differently than their iPhone or Android so there will be a learning curve (though a very gentle one). If they ask me if I think they should get one (a few people have) I usually ask them what phone they have now, how they use it and what they like and don't like about it. Then I tell them what I think about how a Windows Phone might work for them.

The last thing I want to do is talk someone into getting a Windows Phone without understanding their needs/wants/abilities only to have them angry at me or worse, going on to a forum and ranting and raving because over something stupid like not being able to get Angry Birds Rio or because some process doesn't work like it did on their Android. :dry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon