Any other Tmobile customers thinking of jumping ship?

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm a T-Mobile customer and I'm not happy at all. I've been with W7 from day 1. I have a hd7, Dell Venue Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and a radar. Hands down my hd7 is my phone of choice. The Dell is cool but bulky, worse camera I've ever seen on a phone and no haptic feedback. The radar is just to small. My Lumia 900 can't be unlocked yet and even then it's only edge on T-Mobile. My hd7 came out in 2010. I want a HERO phone like the Lumia 900 or titan 2 for T-Mobile. If T-Mobile doesn't have something with a bigger screen and 4G come out soon I'm jumping ship to the Samsung Note as soon as it hits T-Mobile. I LOVE W7.5 but I'm ready for something new and fresh. It's killing me playing with this Lumia 900 and not being able to use it. Please don't suggest switching to ATT. I've got 5 lines and i can't afford ATT rates.

MICROSOFT BE WARNED!!!! KEEP PUTTING ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET WITH ATT AND YOU WILL LOOSE CUSTOMERS.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not Microsoft's fault. None of the other carriers want to stock Windows Phones. For T-Mobile, the reason is merely that they thought they were going to be bought out so they did not negotiate any phone deals.

T-Mobile's phone selection has gradually recovered, however, starting with Android. I wouldn't get a Note, though. That phone is ancient (despite not being out for T-Mobile yet).

HTC One S or Galaxy S III are the way to go.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Do not jump ship to Android, it makes below 0 sense at this point. Especially considering that T-mobile is currently refarming their network to support all unlocked GSM phones and are rumored to be getting their own version of the Lumia 900. Also isn't wise because the Apollo handsets are right around the corner, besides that the HD7 is still a great phone.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
A lot of it has to do with carriers not wanting pentaband GSM phones here. My Nokia N8 works fine on either T-Mobile or AT&T.

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Please don't suggest switching to ATT. I've got 5 lines and i can't afford ATT rates.

That is the same exact reason why T-Mobile is getting low end phones cause they are the budget carrier. It's simple economics, OEM's figure if you can afford premium prices for a plan, then you can afford a high end phone. So blame T-Mobile for appealing to cheap people

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm a T-Mobile customer and I'm not happy at all. I've been with W7 from day 1. I have a hd7, Dell Venue Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and a radar. Hands down my hd7 is my phone of choice. The Dell is cool but bulky, worse camera I've ever seen on a phone and no haptic feedback. The radar is just to small. My Lumia 900 can't be unlocked yet and even then it's only edge on T-Mobile. My hd7 came out in 2010. I want a HERO phone like the Lumia 900 or titan 2 for T-Mobile. If T-Mobile doesn't have something with a bigger screen and 4G come out soon I'm jumping ship to the Samsung Note as soon as it hits T-Mobile. I LOVE W7.5 but I'm ready for something new and fresh. It's killing me playing with this Lumia 900 and not being able to use it. Please don't suggest switching to ATT. I've got 5 lines and i can't afford ATT rates.

MICROSOFT BE WARNED!!!! KEEP PUTTING ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET WITH ATT AND YOU WILL LOOSE CUSTOMERS.

Do you have 3G/4G on T-Mobile where you live?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
^- HSPA+ area here and the speeds are still WAY under 1mbps down, often like 150-250k but I'd guess ~550kbps down is about the average.

I'm moving to AT&T. My contract is up in two months and I've alredy ETF'd my line that was ~6 months younger so I didn't have to worry about it.

T-Mobile's issues are twofold in a lot of areas:

1. Their data converage is bad compared to AT&T and especially Verizon (smaller than Sprint, even)

2. When they do have 3G towers up, in many areas the towers are absolutely over capacity leading to terrible speeds.

In many metro areas they double up to provide good speeds, but it doens't fix their coverage issue for those who travel or live in rural areas.

If you can't afford AT&T Rates, then you cannot afford Verizon Rates since they're basically the same and AT&T actually gives a bit better value with Verizon (they have 3GB plans for only $5 more, etc.) not to mention if you plan to stay with WP7 AT&T will likely continue to get the best devices (even for Android they have tended to get the better devices, and their GSM iPhone is better than the CDMA variants, as are their Blackberries with HSPA+).

Your only other choice is Sprint, and they:

1. Barely care about Windows Phone, and
2. Have terrible data speeds and coverage gaps themselves.

If you want the best smartphone experience, you need to pay more. You get what you pay for. Want to cheap out, well, you will get a cheap experience to go with that investment, unless you live in one of the lucky areas.

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
That is the same exact reason why T-Mobile is getting low end phones cause they are the budget carrier. It's simple economics, OEM's figure if you can afford premium prices for a plan, then you can afford a high end phone. So blame T-Mobile for appealing to cheap people

So people who don't know how to budget and prioritize there budget go to ATT? There is a old saying a fool and his money will part.

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
^- HSPA+ area here and the speeds are still WAY under 1mbps down, often like 150-250k but I'd guess ~550kbps down is about the average.

I'm moving to AT&T. My contract is up in two months and I've alredy ETF'd my line that was ~6 months younger so I didn't have to worry about it.

1. Their data converage is bad compared to AT&T and especially Verizon (smaller than Sprint, even)

2. When they do have 3G towers up, in many areas the towers are absolutely over capacity leading to terrible speeds.

In many metro areas they double up to provide good speeds, but it doens't fix their coverage issue for those who travel or live in rural areas.

If you can't afford AT&T Rates, then you cannot afford Verizon Rates since they're basically the same and AT&T actually gives a bit better value with Verizon (they have 3GB plans for only $5 more, etc.) not to mention if you plan to stay with WP7 AT&T will likely continue to get the best devices (even for Android they have tended to get the better devices, and their GSM iPhone is better than the CDMA variants, as are their Blackberries with HSPA+).

If you want the best smartphone experience, you need to pay more. You get what you pay for. Want to cheap out, well, you will get a cheap experience to go with that investment, unless you live in one of the lucky areas.

I live in Savannah GA and T-Mobile is excellent here. Great service and blazing speeds. I have 5 Lines and pay under $250 for unlimited everything.
Don't get me wrong I love the Windows phone. I'm actually writing this on my ATT Lumia 900 thru WiFi. I just want a newer phone with a front facing camera and 4G. The radar is way to small.
I might jump on the note only for screen size, front facing camera and 4G. I'm really hoping that Tmo releases either the Titan 2 or Lumia 900. I know people don't blame Microsoft but I do. They've got the money and power to strong arm Tmo.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Your points are horribly false
1)Their coverage is expanding, especially since they're currently refarming their existing 3G/4G network to the PCS band, this will not only allow for any phone to be compatible but also exponentially expand coverage (eg GPRS/EDGE areas are now HSPA+ areas).

2) I've never ever seen speeds below 1mbps while on 3G anywhere I've been so far (from Chicago to St Louis)

Go hijack another thread elsewhere

Los

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
So people who don't know how to budget and prioritize there budget go to ATT? There is a old saying a fool and his money will part.

Say what you want but that's why T-Mobile got the Radar and 710 while AT&T got the Titan and 900. Even Stephen Elop spoke about making phones for certain target customers

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I did make the jump, T-Mobile wanted me to sign a 2 year contract for a "value" plan. It is all great but then it defeats the purpose if you buy the phone for $20 per month.

I switched to at&t because I didn't need unlimited everything. It is just way to much money. I wanted to switch my plan to something less just to switch it would be another 2 years. There only options were android or blackberry devices, I decided to bite the bullet. I am actually paying less on at&t but I get a 22% discount off my bill and get unlimited any mobile to mobile included into my messaging plan with rollover. I am saving $20 per month with at&t and also get the lastest phones!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've looked at the T-Mobile plans and I can get something similar to what I currently have for a bit less, but I don't think the coverage is as good as Verizon and AT&T at this time. I'm going to check them out again closer to November and see how they are.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

Wow, are you people serious about calling T-Mo customers cheap and/or unable to budget?

I use T-Mo because it delivers the best value to me at the lowest cost, THAT'S basic economics for those of you playing along at home. Does this mean I somehow deserve less of a phone? I should think not.

I recognize the business reasons why T-Mo may not have the highest end WPs, but to jump to the conclusion that T-Mo users are somehow undeserving because we pay less for our plans is idiotic. I buy my phones outright and use month to month because it affords me the most control over my hardware and services while being untethered to any one carrier. AT&T's monthly plans are horrifically over-priced for the services they provide.

So, I ask, who is the more astute budgeter: the AT&T customer who is locked into a contract paying $80-$100/month or the T-Mo customer off-contract paying $30-$50/month for over twice the data?

...more to the point of this thread though, I agree I'd really love to see a higher end WP on T-Mo. I've got the 710, but I liked the 800/900 design so much I bought the cyan N9 too just so I could use a phone with that look with T-Mo's HSPA+. Here's to hoping for a great Apollo device later, or even just accelerated 1900MHz refarming so we can use the 800/900 on HSPA+.

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

Last edited:

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
But TMobile DOES offer the latest and greatest devices! It just came out with the HTC ONE S. Where's Verizon or Sprint's Krait device? This is literally the fastest phone available on the American market.

TMobile literally lags behind for a couple of months in terms of devices because it was in a deal with AT&T and now everyone is calling it cheap. -.-

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that T-Mo will ramp up their WP selection/advertising when they can get a WP that has WiFi-calling. Which supposedly will be in WP8 phones. Till then they are only offering low end WP phones.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I had the Radar and switched to at&t for the 900 and dont regret it. Sure its more expensive but Tmobile constantly gets the lower specced of any device that comes out on other carriers, especially with WP7. Come WP8 you can bet at&t will have several handsets but Tmo will probably only have 1, and if its not what you want you are stuffed. Tmo has the One S, at&t has the One X. Same pattern with a lot of other devices. Tmo has great valule but are not the choice for the best handsets.

As for the refarming, dont bank on it. Depending on how much spectrum Tmo has in a specific market they may not be able to refarm the network in that area, at least not at first. More info here: T-Mobile is deploying 1900MHz HSPA/4G. Then there is also the cost of bringing your own handset, which you have already done with the 900 but then there is the unlocking issue.

Basically sounds like your best bet is to stick with Tmo till they release whatever WP8 device(s) they will have later this year. But I suspect, considering Tmo's current strategy, if you want a top tier WP handset your only options are going to be at&t or Verizon.

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I've looked at the T-Mobile plans and I can get something similar to what I currently have for a bit less, but I don't think the coverage is as good as Verizon and AT&T at this time. I'm going to check them out again closer to November and see how they are.

I have old SunCom plans so I have grandfathered in unlimited data. The current Tmo plans are $49.99 unlimited talk / messaging 2GB of 4G after the 2GB you get throttled to 3G.
ATT $89 500 minutes but free mobile to mobile / unlimited messaging / 3GB.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I use T-Mo because it delivers the best value to me at the lowest cost...

See, that's the reason I want to switch to T-Mobile. It's less about cost and more about value. I can pay AT&T just fine but I don't feel like I'm getting any value for the high price I'm paying. I have a 2GB plan but I often hover around 700MB-1GB of data used per month. And I'd be using way less if the WiFi on the Titan wasn't so wonky/weak. Occasionally I'll watch a video but the most data intensive thing I do per month is browse the web (I do that a lot), and thankfully most of the sites I visit have mobile versions. My girl has the 3GB plan but has yet to break 100MB. We're essentially paying AT&T an absurd amount of money to browse the web and send texts. Doesn't seem worth it. Switching to T-Mobile and dropping down to Edge sounds painful (at least until the refarming is done), but paying AT&T for 3G and not using it sounds equally painful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb