Background tasks stopped working

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
For the past few days none of my third party background tasks have been working. The one exception is Battery Status, which is a homebrew app that I believe uses some undocumented API functions so I'm not sure that it's the same as other apps.

Tile and toast notifications are working just fine. Apps that use those are updating normally. Apps that use background tasks to update the tile don't update. For example, my WeatherLive tile still updates the weather, but it doesn't automatically update my location.

I've tried a few things to fix this: reboot, battery pull, disabling the tasks for the individual apps in the Settings and then re-enabling them, even reinstalling the apps. Nothing has worked so far.

I haven't used Battery Saver in a long time, and the option to automatically turn it on when the battery gets low is disabled.

I'm out of ideas aside from a hard reset of course. Anyone have any other ideas or am I due for a hard reset?

Apologies if this has come up before but I couldn't find any other thread specifically about this issue.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The issue is with background tasks, not push notifications. I only have background tasks enabled for 6 apps. I can't remember what the limit is for those, but I thought it was something like 9. I've never seen the warning that tells you that you have too many enabled. And as I said, none of them work except for the homebrew Battery Status app.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Try uninstalling the homebrew app after disabling its settings. It could be that app messing everything up.
I didn't think this would be a problem, since I've had that app for a while and it's coexisted happily with my other apps. But I tried this anyway. No dice.

Looks like I may be in for a hard reset.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So after testing with the Battery Status app uninstalled, I reinstalled it and did a little more testing. The Battery Status app has 2 options for how often you want the background task to run, every 10 minutes or every 30 minutes. I'm guessing the 10 minute option involves some sort of hackery with native code.

Anyway, when I have it set to the 10 minute option, it works fine. When I set it to 30 minutes, it doesn't work. So it seems that the 30 minute setting make it act like a normal background task, and that's why it doesn't work. Still doesn't solve my problem, but I thought it was kind of interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa