Converting my Parents

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So my Parents are having issues with their ATT landline so they want to get rid of it. This will mean using cell phones for regular use for the first time in their lives. Here is my problem. I want to lead them down the right path to WP. Only problem is that Sprint and T-Mobile stink at their home, ATT is out of the question and so Verizon is the only one left. With lack of WP selection, it kind of makes my job hard! Any ideas what type of game plan I should use? Also, if you start up a contract with a cell phone company but don't take advantage of the discounted handsets, can you get a discounted phone at any other time during the contract?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The only WP on Verizon is the Trophy. That will probably change come fall but no one knows what Verizon will have in stock or when. If your parents need a smartphone (and in this case, a Windows Phone) right now then their only two options for Verizon is to sign a two year contract for a pair of HTC Trophys or to buy the Trophys unsubsidized and pay month-to-month. Then, come fall, they can upgrade to an Apollo phone or keep using the Trophy. However, if your parents aren't the smartphone type, then maybe they should stick with a feature phone.

Also, if you start up a contract with a cell phone company but don't take advantage of the discounted handsets, can you get a discounted phone at any other time during the contract?

You can not get a discounted handset after signing a contract.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
If you buy a phone full price, you can go month-to-month without being on a contract. After that, you can get a discounted phone at any time with a two-year contract.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
It's a little hard for most people to switch cell services and not to get a new, subsidized phone. The Trophy is a great phone, even though it is a year old and works just as good as the new WP's. But, you probably wouldn't want to get one and lock yourself into a 2 year contract because of the future phones coming out this year, supposedly even to Verizon.

So, you would have to sign up for Verizon, get two used or new Trophys on Ebay for about $175-200 each right now, then down the road get a new, subsidized phone. I would think that your parents may have a hard time with that. I highly recommend WP, but tough to move to Verizon right now.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Definitely don't lock into two years with a Trophy. Verizon offers prepaid service, maybe that would be an option?

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how having a landline effects cellular service, but whatever.

The reality is, if you want a good Windows Phone, you have to be on AT&T.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
All cell companies are pretty much the same. They are in business to make money. I understand the emotional aspects but sometimes you have to set those aside.

My previous employment required me to manage nearly 100 cell phones. We went from Nextel to Alltel to Verizon and then AT&T. None of them were angelic and they all had their problems. We had the worst customer service with Verizon. That doesn't mean everyone will.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Can they get dumbphones for next to nothing right now with a month to month from Verizon. And then sign contracts for new WPs when they arrive in the fall. Its only for a few months.

Or get MagicJack for a year. That can be the household number. I forward my MJ calls to my cell.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Get some cheap Nokia feature phone (support them too :p ) and put them on PAYG until Apollo. Plus by then, Nokia may have endeared itself to them - making Windows Phone a much easier sell in a few months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs