things i'm missin'...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
:excl:so i sold my trophy and bought a razr. for a number of reasons; for starters i have a phone switching disease. but i needed 4g, i get twice the data on verizon with a 4g phone for free, the razr specs blow the trophy away, and i have my apps that i so desperately missed. and i must say i really like this razr, it works quite well. it certainly isnt as laggy as i remember android being. however even with all these specs, there are some huge features i miss from WP. and they are things that should be promoted heavier, because they are things MS just got "right"...

* bing vision - i was buying a car the other day and all the prices were coded in a QR, oops!!! my android needed an app for this which was a pain and really there isnt much in the way of QR apps in the marketplace, nothing that compares to the built in quality of bing vision anyway.

* bing music - sound hound is nice but i hate to have to open my app list, scroll through pages to find it, then wait for it to open when i am in a hurry to ping a song?

* bing local scout -this is really big! my wife and i eat out at new resaraunts a lot, and we often find ourselves wondering where to go next? yelp is "ok" but again sometimes doesnt work very well, and doesnt compare to the built in quality of bing scout...

* skydrive integration - no other platform offers anything like this. google drive isnt intergrated and you cant auto upload photos, which sucks!!! icloud isnt even worth mentioning... it is overpriced for extra space and still is no where near as user friendly as skydrive...

* zune media player - man i really miss this, for me personally this is the best user experience i have ever had with a media player /manager... all of androids stock media players are trash!!! so i am using uber music, which is a knock off of zune media player, works quite well but isnt the reaL THING...

* WP Marketplace - completely underrated!!!!! not really talking about app selection because we all know we could use more apps. but more so the functionality of it. having music , apps, books, and podcasts all in one place... google is a mess and doesnt have anything in the way of PODCASTS!!!! i didnt realize how much i missed my podcasts built in to the marketplace.... =(

* WP Keyboard - not going to say a whole lot on this, but WP keyboard, is far superior to anything ive used... (which is everything)

* office - specifically notes, i loved my office notes and how the were auto synced with my skydrive...

* xbox live - not so much for the games but for my avatar... man i miss my avatar. iphone has an official xbox live app which is "ok" but nothing on android but cheap knock off third party apps trying to emulate xbox live... psshhh posers

* camera - although the quality wasnt nearly as good as my razr, i wish i could or had the ability to auto upload photos to my skydrive...

* social networking - its all built in and crushes the competition, even though i dont have a facebook or twitter acct... lol

* the metro UI - nuff said, its amazing...

the list could go on, but these are some big ones for me. so for those of you who may be a little board waiting for win8, or tired of your trophy or surround, be patient. there are some really great features built in to WP and sometimes we forget about how amazing the OS is. there were a lot of things on my WP i took for granted. most of which are completely functional! and are features that make a phone better. apps will come but the built in quality of WP is exclusive to WP... so i cant wait for win8.

i bought this razr knowing that it was a temporary replacement until i would get a win 8 phone. so, i will be back, hopefully sooner than later! now hurry up MS!!!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
why was this moved to other OS's and other devices?

this isnt about my razr, its about all the sweet features in WP!

geesh, w.e. pointless move

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
IIRC you can auto-upload your photos to Google (if you download the Google+ app, I think it does it automatically).

I agree with much of what you've said. I switched from iOS to WP this week principally because there is so much tightly integrated with the phone. Yes the choice and quality of apps on iOS was wonderful, but I like that so much functionality is already present here. The search button is very useful (having image, QR, barcode, translate, music, voice all built in), and TellMe is surprisingly accurate at what it does.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Good write up. Goes along with what is usually counter with when someone says, "WP is missing this or that". I respond with, "ok, but why are you missing by not using WP". Definitely some balance there. No OS is perfect, yet.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
there are some rock solid built in features of WP devices... a lot of which we take for granted... take it all away and it doesnt take long to figure this out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett