HTC Trophy

cmUprising

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am an Android user and I am due for an upgrade. Thanks to Verizon's new plan it looks like I am going to have to upgrade sooner than I thought. I have never used a Windows Phone so I know literally nothing about them. So I was hoping to have a few questions answered.

I am a HUGE xbox live guy. One of the main reasons I started looking into the windows phone. I was wondering how xbox works with the phones. Any details for me to know?

Also, music is a big thing for me. I use Spotify to stream my music so I was wondering if the phone has Spotify in the market and how does it work if anyone has tried it.

Also, a more obscure one: Does anyone know if there is a Rooster Teeth app in the market to stream their podcasts?

If anyone has the HTC Trophy can you let me know how it is, because that is the only phone Verizon shows on the site. So that would probably be the one I would look into getting.

If I have more questions I will probably come back to this thread.

Thanks!!!

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In windows phone, xbox works like as it is on an xbox 360 console. You get achievements, personalize your avatar, and even go to marketplace and buy stuff for your avatar. Although I do think this is also available on iOS and Android, but the thing is in windows phone, there are Xbox Live-enabled games which you can earn achievements as you play.

Spotify works the same in windows phone. Zune is also built-in and much more visually appealing, although you have to pay 10 bux monthly for subscription.

Podcasts is part of zune in windows phone. Just go to marketplace and search for the podcast you want to listen/watch to. And yes, Rooster Teeth productions are in zune podcasts.

For now I wouldn't recommend getting a Trophy. The device is nearly 2 years old and chipset is a bit outdated, or too outdated if viewed in android perspective. The best option now is to wait for windows phone 8, and or if verizon will ever release another windows phone.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I will add that if your back is against the wall due to vzw shared data plans I would have no qualms against the trophy. I've only had one for a few months now and it has been the most stable and well performing phone I've ever had. No lag at all, puts any droid I've owned to shame. So it may actually be your best option based on where u r at with your plan. Too bad vzw doesn't embrace this phone platform.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The trophy is a nice device and with some upcoming updates and new apps every say I believe windows mobile will become a major contender..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been on the personal debate of picking up a Trophy myself. Now with these plans, and the fact that my plan is up in October nonetheless... I always wanted to try out the Trophy. My family is moving away from the Big Red once our contract is up, so I wont have my chance. I've been searching long and hard for a used Trophy on Ebay to stay just shy of $100 at least with no luck. Hopefully it's worth chipping out the money if you do go all in.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
LISTEN TO ME, I HAVE OWNED 3 TROPHY'S !!!!

i actually still own one, as does my wife... and we love it. the phone is not nearly 2 years old either, it was released in may of 2011... so if you do the math, that makes it just over 1 year old... and most importantly, the specs DO NOT matter with windows phones. it runs perfectly on a 1ghz processor... again which none of that matters!

xbox live is great! as described above, its a great feature for windows phones, and works much better than the app for ios and android because it is built in to the phone.

spotify is great, and we have a spotify app. however, zune pass is much better! and again, integrated into the phone.

i also love podcasts, and android sucks in this dept... we have podcasts also built into the zune marketplace. you download or stream right to your phone for free... i use it all the time.

point being, you will love the trophy. i wouldnt buy into a contract with verizon though. because they will charge you as much as it costs to buy one on ebay. i just purchased 2 of them on ebay, one for me and one for my wife. i replaced a droid razr maxx, and she replaced an iphone 4... so what does that tell you? you can pick one up on ebay right now for about 120-140. and so when it comes time for windows 8, you wont be locked in a contract... good luck, and trust me, you wont regret buying a trophy, it is a solid little phone.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The Trophy was released in October 2010, and May 2011 in the US. But it's still Trophy with same specs, only SLCD and 16GB in US variant. I've owned a trophy before and it was amazing, after switching to Titan I thought windows phone experience couldn't get any better. Anyway the Trophy is still a great phone.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a trophy and I think it's a solid phone. Like others have said, buy a used one, don't lock yourself into a two year contract with the trophy.

Sent from my {HTC Trophy} using Board Express

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
LISTEN TO ME, I HAVE OWNED 3 TROPHY'S !!!!

i actually still own one, as does my wife... and we love it. the phone is not nearly 2 years old either, it was released in may of 2011... so if you do the math, that makes it just over 1 year old... and most importantly, the specs DO NOT matter with windows phones. it runs perfectly on a 1ghz processor... again which none of that matters!

xbox live is great! as described above, its a great feature for windows phones, and works much better than the app for ios and android because it is built in to the phone.

spotify is great, and we have a spotify app. however, zune pass is much better! and again, integrated into the phone.

i also love podcasts, and android sucks in this dept... we have podcasts also built into the zune marketplace. you download or stream right to your phone for free... i use it all the time.

point being, you will love the trophy. i wouldnt buy into a contract with verizon though. because they will charge you as much as it costs to buy one on ebay. i just purchased 2 of them on ebay, one for me and one for my wife. i replaced a droid razr maxx, and she replaced an iphone 4... so what does that tell you? you can pick one up on ebay right now for about 120-140. and so when it comes time for windows 8, you wont be locked in a contract... good luck, and trust me, you wont regret buying a trophy, it is a solid little phone.

I agree with you. I was on the bandwagon for that illustrious S3, but Verizon for some unknown reason decided I was not worthy of the S3, so three times they canceled my pre-orders, they wanted me to go ahead and try it again, of course you can imagine where I told them where to go and where to shove that S3, being that it's huge, I can only hope it hurts them. :)

So after this and I must admit all along I kept thinking how much I enjoyed my Nokia 710, but because Tmo has no service here I cannot have the phone and actually use it. So I decided to get on ebay and found a brand new Trophy for 150. Now I'm just waiting for that wonderful device to arrive so I can ditch the iPhone.

I just love how easy the OS is to use and how a lot of the items we all use are already part of the OS. I cannot help but laugh at how people always comment about the specs on these phones, they don't require ultra high end power hungry chips. These people have been in Android land for so long they have no idea how anything works outside of that.

According to ebay my Trophy will be here tomorrow, I really expect it here on Saturday :). Coming from Michigan and I'm in Boondocks Cali.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I switched from my DROID X to a trophy and I loved it AT FIRST. Then it started to have problems, the biggest being that my podcasts stopped syncing in zune. I tried everything to get it working again but nothing worked. On android pocketcasts works very well. I also started missing other apps from android. The camera on the trophy was subpar as well. I ended up switching back to my DROID X.

I like WP, but the trophy didn't work very well for me. I would not buy one on contract. Get one off ebay.

What I would do is pre order the galaxy s3 and sell it when you get it. You will make a nice profit on it. Then use that money to buy a WP8 on Verizon outright when the time comes. By then WP should be more complete anyway. Just an idea.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The one negative to the Trophy is random reboots since the 8107 update. Verizon is shipping my third replacement device today. I'm hoping whatever is wrong Tango will fix.

PDFierro3

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
If the OP is interested in getting a new phone solely because he has an upgrade, I'm not sure buying off eBay for about the same price is something that would interest him. Unless the Trophy appeals to him that much. I also wonder why he would like to switch from Android, other than the reasons in his OP.

It looks like a solid phone. I'm considering getting one right now. And some of the "upgrades" you can make help it be an even better phone. But anyone getting it needs to keep their expectations in check, like I am. A solid performer, but not a high-end phone by any means.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The one negative to the Trophy is random reboots since the 8107 update. Verizon is shipping my third replacement device today. I'm hoping whatever is wrong Tango will fix.

although i am still on 7720, because zune thinks im up to date, my old trophy was on 8107 and i never had that problem. my wifes is also on 8107 and she never has a reboot issue. im kinda glad i didnt roll up to 8107 because i dont have the dissapearing keyboard issue either. maybe once in a blue moon, but not that often at all...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
If the OP is interested in getting a new phone solely because he has an upgrade, I'm not sure buying off eBay for about the same price is something that would interest him. Unless the Trophy appeals to him that much. I also wonder why he would like to switch from Android, other than the reasons in his OP.

It looks like a solid phone. I'm considering getting one right now. And some of the "upgrades" you can make help it be an even better phone. But anyone getting it needs to keep their expectations in check, like I am. A solid performer, but not a high-end phone by any means.

the idea of buying off ebay is so he wont have to use his upgrade on a phone that isnt a high end phone. so i dont know what your thinkng?

as far as it not being a "high end phone" , it is still a great phone! i just traded my razr maxx for it. the razr maxx is a "high end phone" and i enjoy the exdperience on my trophy much better. as do most people on windows phone. specs are irrelivent on an OS that runs like windows phones do.

PDFierro3

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
the idea of buying off ebay is so he wont have to use his upgrade on a phone that isnt a high end phone. so i dont know what your thinkng?

as far as it not being a "high end phone" , it is still a great phone! i just traded my razr maxx for it. the razr maxx is a "high end phone" and i enjoy the exdperience on my trophy much better. as do most people on windows phone. specs are irrelivent on an OS that runs like windows phones do.

Hey, relax. I didn't mean that as a negative. I simply said that for the OP's benefit. There is obviously a reason I am considering the phone. And I know very well that Windows Phone runs great on these specs.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
although i am still on 7720, because zune thinks im up to date, my old trophy was on 8107 and i never had that problem. my wifes is also on 8107 and she never has a reboot issue. im kinda glad i didnt roll up to 8107 because i dont have the dissapearing keyboard issue either. maybe once in a blue moon, but not that often at all...

Maybe I'm just getting defective devices. I never had a problem before 8107 except for the keyboard. I prefer the rebooting to the disappearing keyboard though.

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I had a Trophy for over a year on VZW, and I absolutely loved it. My biggest gripe, however, was with the battery life, it was pretty bad. My battery might have been going bad, but I'd barely have enough battery to go through a work day. It'd be fully charged in the morning and by 3 or 4pm the phone would have only 10% remaining; I had to charge it frequently. I wanted to get an extended battery, but they've been "temporarily out of stock" on VZW website for about 9 months and they aren't available any where else; I'm afraid to try a third party battery.

I'd recommend, like others said before, getting one used on eBay, if you have the funds of course. You can probably get the phone for between a penny and $50.00 with an upgrade, but you'll be locked down in a contract for two years with a phone that's not worth that much. If you want to leave Verizon or get a new phone within the next two years you'll have to pay full price or the $375 fee, which is more than what that phone is worth.

All that being said, I no longer own my Trophy because I left VZW for Straight Talk; got myself an HTC Titan.

Hopefully this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium