Legacy PHones no Apollo Update, will get 7.8 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously laughing at the people in this thread complaining about this. Did you magically expect your phone to have an NFC chip and a higher resolution?

People for years here have been saying specs don't matter, specs don't matter. Now all of a sudden they matter. And they should be pissed at Microsoft for selling phones with nerfed, two-years behind specs as current phones, and then dropping support.

It's awfully hard to call a two-month old phone "legacy" don't you think?

Last edited:

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Pure excuses

If MS is suggesting that any OS that supports dual core processor cannot support single core and any OS that supports NFC cannot support non-NFC device is pure nonsense.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously laughing at the people in this thread complaining about this. Did you magically expect your phone to have an NFC chip and a higher resolution?

You are not seeing the big pictures...with current phone not getting the new kernel support, pretty soon all the new apps will not be able to run on WP7.8. Developers are given choice of creating WP7 or WP8 app when they start their Visual Studio. Now if you were going to invest time and money are you going to spend time on the old platform?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't expecting any current phones to get any updates, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I think people should be happy with this. I'm willing to bet that 7.8 is more than just the new start screen. They'll probably include as many new features as they can within reason.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You are not seeing the big pictures...with current phone not getting the new kernel support, pretty soon all the new apps will not be able to run on WP7.8. Developers are given choice of creating WP7 or WP8 app when they start their Visual Studio. Now if you were going to invest time and money are you going to spend time on the old platform?

You're not thinking like a developer.

Developers will want to have the largest install base possible.
They like easier development because it saves time and money.

Unless they HAVE TO use native code, they won't.

It's easier and faster to develop apps in .NET. And .NET apps will still work on WP7.8.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't expecting any current phones to get any updates, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I think people should be happy with this. I'm willing to bet that 7.8 is more than just the new start screen. They'll probably include as many new features as they can within reason.

It will be much more than a new start screen. People are just saying that because they're upset and choose to do the whole drama queen thing.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
There's no reason why old phones couldn't get the new kernel. The only reason might have been processing power limitations; but, even then, I am skeptical with regards to that for the gen 2 devices. Neither iOS nor Android requires dual core to run. If Apollo REALLY requires dual core, I can imagine it being a very bogged down and slow OS.

No one is asking for anything unreasonable like NFC or a higher resolution. We want the new kernel, which is the most important aspect of WP8.

It's easier and faster to develop apps in .NET. And .NET apps will still work on WP7.8.
This is wrong. Developers will choose to support only WP8. A lot of the apps we will be seeing that will be the focal point of WP8 will be direct Windows 8 ports.

Windows 8 + WP8 > WP8 + WP7.8

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There's no reason why old phones couldn't get the new kernel. The only reason might have been processing power limitations; but, even then, I am skeptical with regards to that for the gen 2 devices. Neither iOS nor Android requires dual core to run.

No one is asking for anything unreasonable like NFC or a higher resolution. We want the new kernel, which is the most important aspect of WP8.

No reason? The reason is because there is no way for them to do the upgrade. You'd have to wipe the device. It's like installing a new ROM. Not something that regular consumers could do even if you're holding their hands the whole way.

I imagine we'll end up seeing in an "unofficial" ROMs by the hacking community. So I could see a future where people on the forums will be talking about their Lumia 900s with WP8 because they went over to XDA-developers.com.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

No, of course not. If I install Windows 8 onto my desktop I don't expect it to install a touchscreen either. The reason people are pissed is that, so far, it has only been indicated that people will get a shiny new start menu.

Except that there a lot of spiffy new features and APIs that are part of WP8 with no indication that they will be available on WP7.8. Developers may want to reach the largest possible base but if they have to cut off the older devices to do what they want, they will.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
To who? Did you sign a contract with the company saying you'd be getting updates for the lifetime of the device? All updates are a courtesy to the consumer in the first place.

WOW. I bought my windows phones because I do not want one or two monopoly (ies). If MS told everyone that customers are getting updates because of courtesy from MS, that would sound really good.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

No, but we didn't expect to get completely cut off from apps either. Anything that uses Native Code won't run in 7.8. Anything that is currently missing worth having is missing because it needs native code.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
No reason? The reason is because there is no way for them to do the upgrade. You'd have to wipe the device. It's like installing a new ROM. Not something that regular consumers could do even if you're holding their hands the whole way.
What's wrong with wiping the device? How much effort does it honestly take for Microsoft to write an upgrade program that backups all our files on the computer before wiping? How much capacity does our phones have? 16 GB?

Not wanting to "wipe" our devices is a nonsensical reason not to upgrade.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There's no reason why old phones couldn't get the new kernel. The only reason might have been processing power limitations; but, even then, I am skeptical with regards to that for the gen 2 devices. Neither iOS nor Android requires dual core to run. If Apollo REALLY requires dual core, I can imagine it being a very bogged down and slow OS.

This is wrong. Developers will choose to support only WP8. A lot of the apps we will be seeing that will be the focal point of WP8 will be direct Windows 8 ports.

Windows 8 + WP8 > WP8 + WP7.8

Many, if not most, W8 apps will require very few changes to work on WP7.8. They won't be using native code. They'll be using WinRT, which is very similar to .NET.

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
nokia to release new apps.. (next week)

Looks like throw ins to appease the Nokia users whom "they love"

''play to"
"counter"
"nokia music app"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.