Legacy PHones no Apollo Update, will get 7.8 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I never expected for us to get Windows 8, too many hardware upgrades. I'm happy that there is a Windows 7.8 upgrade for legacy phones. Now the wait is to see just what will be in it.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, a spiffy new interface, new Maps, and (maybe) the Wallet sans NFC.

What we're not getting:

New apps. How many new apps do you think will be written for WP7 once WP8 comes out? Not many is my prediction. I'm sure there will be some but the vast majority are going to be written to WP8 (how many new WP6.x apps were written when WP7 came out?). Sorry guys. I hope everyone likes the apps they have because within a few months they won't be getting any new ones. Maybe I'll be able to steal my old Titan back from my oldest and install a hacked version of WP8 though. I just bought a Lumia in May so no upgrades for another year and a half.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I will rage and cuss, and threaten to go to some other platform, and cry a bit, but then I will think about it, and realize I don't care either way, I love WP, and then I will just accept it. No full upgrade... and then I will probably just wait until a cool WP8 device comes out and buy it. Such is the life of being technologically bi-polar

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I would have been OK with 7.8 instead of 8 except for the app situation. I'm soooo pissed off. I've been using Windows Phone since pre-NoDo and this is the thanks I get for my 2 month old Lumia 900? I'm going to get a new phone this Fall. Problem is it just might be an iPhone 5. They are still supporting the 3GS that is like 3 years old now. My phone will be 6 months old and abandoned, I don't know if I still trust them.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Sucks for Lumia purchasers. A lot.

I don't see why. I was never interested in multi core processors, I'm happy with my current screen resolution and Wallet won't be in the US until next year.

For now I'll assume that the software upgrades like the new start screen will be in the Windows 7.8 upgrade.

Nice try but your comment fails.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why. I was never interested in multi core processors, I'm happy with my current screen resolution and Wallet won't be in the US until next year.

For now I'll assume that the software upgrades like the new start screen will be in the Windows 7.8 upgrade.

Nice try but your comment fails.

You just bought a phone that you're stuck with for the next two years that's getting cut off. That sucks. The iPhone 3GS is getting iOS 6, and it's three years old. Your phone is two months old if you bought a 900.

Windows Phone 8 Looks Great, but It Screws Existing Users

Enjoy your no new apps from here on out situation.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I wuold of been disappionted only if existing users didnt get anything at all. I was on the side that existing devices would not get wp8, but perhaps a light version. I knew the risk purchasing a lumia so it doesnt bother me...

I still want to see what Nokia puts out as well before i decide to get a wp8 phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hate to say I told you so... but... well, I told you so. j/k

Because of the different code base, it wasn’t going to happen. But to the end-user it means very little. What matters is that there WILL be a MAJOR upgrade to bring as much feature parity as possible.

A lot of the OS features will end up being the same. The biggest difference will be the lack of Native Code access in WP7.8.

I doubt that WP7.8 is the last upgrade for existing WP customers also. As much feature parity will be brought over as possible. And apps that don't use native code will still run on WP7.8.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm done with WP. Signed 2 years contract for the Lumia and that's all I got, a new start screen. The way I see it is that they didn't implement enough new software features that a simple 0.3 OS update is enough to satisfy the old WP7 adopters. For the new adopters of WP8...that will be all you get.

So much for the "beta has ended" advertisement from Nokia

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Wonder if MS is going to implement a rule like they did for Mango where once you updated an app to work in Mango you could no longer do anything with the pre-Mango app. Why not kick your existing users while they're down anyways. Seems to be the MS way now.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the new START screen. I find it too confusing and needlessly cluttered. It's basically like Apple or iOS's app menu except with a gazillion different shaped app icon. Microsoft should have figured a way to optimize the old screen. Maybe 3 tiles and no "gap" or something like Windows 8, where swiping sideways unveils more tiles.

I am disappointed that the biggest Apollo feature will be missing from current WP, which is the NT kernel. This will definitely lead to reduced support for Windows 7.8 phones. It's the only Apollo feature that is really relevant to me aside from the new web browser. Existing WP owners definitely have an incentive to upgrade. There will be many apps we can't run and these apps will be the center of the WP8 push. These apps will largely explain why WP > Android.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't like the new START screen. I find it too confusing and needlessly cluttered. It's basically like Apple or iOS's app menu except with a gazillion different shaped app icon. Microsoft should have figured a way to optimize the old screen. Maybe 3 tiles and no "gap" or something like Windows 8, where swiping sideways unveils more tiles.

I am disappointed that the biggest Apollo feature will be missing from current WP, which is the NT kernel. This will definitely lead to reduced support for Windows 7.8 phones. It's the only Apollo feature that is really relevant to me aside from the new web browser. Existing WP owners definitely have an incentive to upgrade. There will be many apps we can't run and these apps will be the center o the WP8 push.

Other than the gutter going away, you can still make your screen look almost exactly what it looks now if you just use the medium sized tiles.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm seriously laughing at the people in this thread complaining about this. Did you magically expect your phone to have an NFC chip and a higher resolution?

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Sigh... I guess this was pretty much inevitable. It wouldn't bother me if they made apps backwards compatible, but they obviously haven't changed the kernel over. Basically my Titan, which I didn't purchase on a contract, so upgrades are out of the question, is now redundant. No more apps, and an update which brings very little to the device. I don't see why they couldn't just give us the option of wiping the device and putting the full WP8 on it, if an upgrade from WP7 isn't possible.

I think I will see what the next iPhone brings, and then decide whether I want to go back to Apple.

This doesn't make me angry, it just disappoints me that MS have decided to do this to phones which are less than a year old. Even Apple wait a few years before killing software updates. I know this was a full kernel change and that probably made things more difficult, but I think they should have tried harder to get the full OS on at least the 2nd gen devices.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm fine with this. I didn't really expect to get Apollo. As I have said a hundred times, buy your technology for what it does today, not tomorrow.

Anyone who feels otherwise doesn't understand the world they live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb