Call it an educated guess...

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
But I think WP sales will drop like a rock the next few months till WP8 comes. Good move or bad move by MS to announce so far from release?

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
can sales tank any harder than they already have? lol..

kidding aside.. i do think the lumia will continue to sell well. the only unfortunate part of the upgrade is that wp8 apps won't work on wp7.

wp7 marketshare is at what.. 1% in the US? like it or not, MS was forced to do what they did with WP8.. WP8 will finally be a viable platform/alternative to ios and droid and offer things that both can't.. the stability of iOS and (some of the) flexibility of droid. the gaming aspects as well as the integration with windows 8 is another really unique thing.

those of us who are using wp7 now should really have seen this coming. i sure did. and seems like most wp7 users commenting aren't really that upset about it, so idk.

i do think the lumia will continue to sell decently well until the launch of wp8/windows 8 at which point things should take off in a more meaningful way than they have..

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
can sales tank any harder than they already have? lol..

kidding aside.. i do think the lumia will continue to sell well. the only unfortunate part of the upgrade is that wp8 apps won't work on wp7.

wp7 marketshare is at what.. 1% in the US? like it or not, MS was forced to do what they did with WP8.. WP8 will finally be a viable platform/alternative to ios and droid and offer things that both can't.. the stability of iOS and (some of the) flexibility of droid. the gaming aspects as well as the integration with windows 8 is another really unique thing.

those of us who are using wp7 now should really have seen this coming. i sure did. and seems like most wp7 users commenting aren't really that upset about it, so idk.

i do think the lumia will continue to sell decently well until the launch of wp8/windows 8 at which point things should take off in a more meaningful way than they have..

Microsoft has already had a hard enough time trying to get salespeople to sell Windows Phones and now here's one more HUGE reason to steer ppl away from Windows Phones.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. If they want to sell more WP7.x devices, they'll have to drop it down to entry-level prices. Like free when subsidized.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
NO! ....

they mentioned 8 features of the HUNDREDS its gona have.... :straight:

we dont even Know 5% of what WP8 will have yet.. so how is it to soon if tis not even out yet? lol

FYI price on phones = nothing to do with MS ( maybe MS has a 5% say in the actual price)

OEM and RTMS are who decides what the price is gona be...

Look at the HD7 .. we where selling it on a NO DATA ( 20-45$ ) plan on a 1 year term.....

compare to normal smartphones at 3 year terms with a MINIMUM 50$ data plan ( in Canada )

they are already in the low range section here in Canada!

Last edited:

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes MS should not have announced so soon. But they obviously did not want Apple's WWDC and Google's I/O to be the talk of the internet for the entire summer. They were kind of stuck here, I guess they had to announce something.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Meh, the general population is clueless to this kind of stuff announced today. ****, people continue to buy low end Android devices with no clear upgrade path and people even continue to buy the iPhone 4 just to save a few bucks over the iPhone 4s.

The fact folks like us that get so passionate about this stuff and keep up on this stuff are a tiny minority...

Though when we get mad, we tell our friends and that could have a potential impact. What needs to happen now is for Microsoft to start showing off some devices and make some carrier announcments. I need to know some dates people! :)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they announced early because the anger from people who felt "screwed over" will somewhat subside after a few months.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Maybe they should start doing some type of incentive like they did when they announced W7 and gave free upgrades from Vista machines. And similar to a discounted upgrade to W8 for people who buy PCs from now and release. I'm thinking they should offer some type of rebate for full priced phones.

Last edited:

daredevildan

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well going to be more growing pains but at least we have an idea of the direction the platform is going between E3, Monday's announcement of the Surface and now more info on WP8 and Windows8.

Hopefully by the end of the year we can stop playing the broken record of maybe next update we'll gain some traction and market share. Then we won't have to read articles about how 70% of some po-dunk village surveyed by some kid in South America is CONSIDERING using WP.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I am very optimistic of the future of WP8 and W8. I'm going to wait and see what 7.8 brings me and if it's not enough, I'll just move on and get a new WP8 device.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should definitely steal a page from the Apple marketing handbook and not make any announcements until a couple of weeks before launch. Lame duck device sales remain strong up until the last minute that way.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft should definitely steal a page from the Apple marketing handbook and not make any announcements until a couple of weeks before launch. Lame duck device sales remain strong up until the last minute that way.

I can see where you're coming from. There may have been a benefit to not disclosing today's news until later, but MS felt that the developers needed to know this stuff now. It is somewhat necessary in order to ensure that there will be apps involving WP 8 features at launch.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Or at least wait until the SDK (or whatever it was) is ready for developers.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
No I don't think this batch of news will stop WP7 sales. IMO, if sales were losing steam or progressing, it'll continue with what it was doing. The general consumers have no clue what this update is because they still don't know or are still learning what Windows Phone is. I've had at least 5 people at my job in the past 3 days browse over my phone and 3 of them mentioned that they would buy it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs