Question from an Android user

eolsgaard

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm very strongly considering making WP my next operating system (I have trust issues with Google). I love the fluidity of the user interface, and I love the Metro look. I love the ability to customize the phone with live tiles, and now with differently sized titles. My only concern is app availability.

So, I'm curious: in your experiences, have you always been able to have some kind of app that fulfills your needs? From gaming apps to apps meant to increase your productivity, have you felt like WP needs more apps? Or have you generally been able to do everything you want to do with your smartphone?

(On my Android phone, I've wished my apps could be as pretty as the iPhone versions, but otherwise I really haven't even thought about iOS.)

Thanks!

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any problems, but their are some omissions that others obviously care about. Pandora comes to mind, but I know that there are 3rd party solutions.

Play around with one in a store and see if you like it. Also, consider the fact that a clean brake in the OS is coming in a few months. If you want a multi-core, NFC-capable, higher resolution screen-having phone, you may want to wait for WP 8 devices.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, WP has every app you need. If you'll list some, I'll tell you if it or an alternative is here.

But, you should wait til WP8 devices this fall.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
App selection will be better with WP8...a lot better. At this point, it might be advisable to wait for WP8 for better app selection, higher-res screens, and faster processors.

That said, I don't run into many problems even with WP7. Nook and Pandora and Instagram are three obvious ones. Words with Friends was just added, so strike that off the list. Game selection isn't as good as iOS. But most apps you'd ever want are there. There are numerous RSS feed programs, weather applications, weather programs, etc...app selection hasn't been something that bothers me (except for Nook and Pandora).

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with those saying "wait for W8". If you want the experience now, I say go for it, but NOT on contract. There are plenty of used and off contract (even 2nd gen) WP7 devices that are affordable off contract. Samsung Focus S, Focus 2, Titan, Samsung Focus Flash, etc. All of those that I've named have FFC and Mango. If you want the experience now, go for a used off contract device. As far as me "missing" any apps, I wish I had Hulu but hope it's coming. For the most part, I've found great alternates. Would like to get on Instagram and Pinsation before the trend dwindles though

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with those saying "wait for W8". If you want the experience now, I say go for it, but NOT on contract. There are plenty of used and off contract (even 2nd gen) WP7 devices that are affordable off contract. Samsung Focus S, Focus 2, Titan, Samsung Focus Flash, etc. All of those that I've named have FFC and Mango. If you want the experience now, go for a used off contract device. As far as me "missing" any apps, I wish I had Hulu but hope it's coming. For the most part, I've found great alternates. Would like to get on Instagram and Pinsation before the trend dwindles though
This is the way to go... get a device 2nd hand... I'm sure there will be plenty of pissed off people selling their windows phones... which is fine. I love my Lumia... I loved my Titan... I say do that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm very strongly considering making WP my next operating system (I have trust issues with Google). I love the fluidity of the user interface, and I love the Metro look. I love the ability to customize the phone with live tiles, and now with differently sized titles. My only concern is app availability.

So, I'm curious: in your experiences, have you always been able to have some kind of app that fulfills your needs? From gaming apps to apps meant to increase your productivity, have you felt like WP needs more apps? Or have you generally been able to do everything you want to do with your smartphone?

(On my Android phone, I've wished my apps could be as pretty as the iPhone versions, but otherwise I really haven't even thought about iOS.)

Thanks!
Welcome to the light. First, you picked one heck of a day to post since there are so many disappointed users sounding off. I guess you can say it was like when Android told users of Donut that a lot of the new features in Eclair would not be available post-2.0. That being said, I agree with cckgz4's post about getting a non-contract 2nd hand phone. I'd go one step further and suggest trying a WP7 phone on a prepaid such as Straight Talk (AT&T network)or Simple Mobile (T-Mobile). Try out the OS for a month or two and get a good feel for the system and the device. If you feel comfortable you stick with it or you can go with an Apollo device in the fall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)