Why do so many seem so disappointed?

sp3ci4lk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The purpose of today's WP8 event was not to announce the new OS's end-user features but to discuss the "plumbing" being developed to enable them. I understand that current handsets not getting WP8 in all its glory is a bummer, but Microsoft made the decision they felt they had to for the greater good -- to give the forthcoming OS the wings it will need to really fly. The new kernel, aligned with W8 and W8 RT, will bring a real synergy to the table that the Windows platform -- nor any other -- has ever had. It will mean more cross-platform apps and games of higher-quality, a far more seamless user experience, and the ecosystem growth it will need to properly compete with Google and Apple over the next 10 to 20 years.

As far as the new Start screen is concerned, I love it. I thought the negative space to the right of the home screen was cute and hip for a while, but I soon grew to feel robbed of my screen's God-given real estate. I also like the new small tiles. It's an option I didn't have before, and it's not like they're being forced upon me, so I can keep things exactly as is should I choose to do so. Chances are, there're a number of yet-to-be-seen new goodies in store (such as the ability to read a preview of a text's contents in a "double-wide" Messaging tile). Personally, I hope they add some type of "folders" functionality, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Everyone seemed to be expecting Skype to be "integrated" with WP8. Well, they didn't, so now everyone is poo-poo'ing them for it. The truth is, they did one better by integrating VoIP, which means that any app developer (Skype, Tango, Google or otherwise) can now "plug in" and take advantage. Sure, the carriers probably won't be thrilled, but the idea is -- again -- that the WP8 development team have been busy working toward ENABLING the new platform, which I personally think is a super, super smart move.

Adopting Nokia's NAVTEQ mapping tech into WP8 Maps? Awesome! Bing maps aren't all that great, and Nokia's Drive is, in certain ways, a more sophisticated and more comprehensive system. Hopefully, by combining they two (Bing Maps meets Nokia data), WP8 Maps will offer a very compelling set of mapping tools, complete with off-line maps and navigation, turn-by-turn directions, traffic, transit, and more. Further, giving developers full access to the new mapping system will be key to achieving a more integrated experience.

I'm excited. Though I doubt they will, given their alignment with Nokia, I'd love to see them announce a Surface for Windows Phone 8! If my software's gonna' match, why shouldn't my hardware, also? *pant pant pant* :)

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Correction: Skype is integrated in WP8 as will other VoIP services if the dev wishes,otherwise great post. The negative threads are still coming tho.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't even matter anymore. When many of us here on the boards tried to convince others to just accept the fact that you may not get WP8 with current devices, they just ignored the warning and wah wah wah for months.

I said it a couple months ago, I'll say it again: the same people whining now about not getting WP8 will be the same people whining just as loud or louder when they realize they won't get WP9, 2 years from now.

anon(5340816)

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I am upset about is if 7.8 doesn't get the VOIP integration. The fact is that this is solely software. I completely understand giving WP8 the freedom to do whatever and not tie it down to backwards compatibility. However, you could still develop for both! If you look at Windows 8, they've got two different versions of the OS. ARM is the future for Windows tablets, but they're not gonna leave x86 in the dark either.

sp3ci4lk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Correction: Skype is integrated in WP8 as will other VoIP services if the dev wishes,otherwise great post. The negative threads are still coming tho.

Actually, it's not...

"There's been discussion about native Skype integration," says Sullivan. "That's not really how I'd characterize this." Microsoft is building in the APIs and infrastructure to support generalized VoIP applications in Windows Phone 8, including Skype and others. "Skype largely will just be an application that you'll be able to download that will take advantage of the VoIP integration that we think will be industry leading," explains Sullivan. The integration means VoIP applications will become a full first-class app on Windows Phone 8 handsets, allowing them to integrate into the phone dialer, People Hub, and more.

Windows Phone 8 in detail: new Start Screen, multi-core support, VoIP integration, and NFC | The Verge

So it seems that Skype, as an app, isn't integrated into the OS, per say, but VoIP is.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Here are my issues with WP8:

1) WP8 will feel like a completely different OS from WP 7.5.
2) Legacy devices will not be upgraded
3) WP8 looks NOTHING like Windows 8.

WP8 throws simplicity out the door. I don't mind that it's complicated, but it irks me that I suddenly feel like I'll be using a completely different OS.

I'm actually surprised how they changed the appearance of Windows Phone when they were counting on consumers associating Windows Phone with actual Windows after using Windows 8.

I think (3) is a huge mistake and it will cause Microsoft tons of advertising dollars to convince/inform consumers WP8 is Windows when with WP7.5 the association was so evident. It is also a detriment to the success of WP.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
WP8 throws simplicity out the door. I don't mind that it's complicated, but it irks me that I suddenly feel like I'll be using a completely different OS..

How would it feel like using a completely different OS? Just because the Start Screen is a bit more flexible and more customizable with more screen used up.... the bottom line it's still the same OS, guarantee everything other then the start screen is going to be the same. Also it's not like you have to use the very small tiles, you can use the normal sized tiles or the double wide tiles and still feel like you're staying classy.

Maybe that's just my perspective, I want to know how and why it would feel like a different OS to you.

sp3ci4lk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

WP8 throws simplicity out the door. I don't mind that it's complicated, but it irks me that I suddenly feel like I'll be using a completely different OS.

I'm actually surprised how they changed the appearance of Windows Phone when they were counting on consumers associating Windows Phone with actual Windows after using Windows 8.

I think (3) is a huge mistake and it will cause Microsoft tons of advertising dollars to convince/inform consumers WP8 is Windows when with WP7.5 the association was so evident. It is also a detriment to the success of WP.

Can you explain how WP8 looks nothing like Windows 8? To me, they look very much alike...various-sized live tiles against a plain background. That's straight-up Metro UI. Now, if you said that iOS looks nothing like OS X, I could see that, but I don't understand where you're coming from...

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

helpful hint. Just use medium size tiles and have ur photo tile and calendar tiles be large tiles. You will essentially emulate wp7.5. Complexity goes out the door.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
How would it feel like using a completely different OS? Just because the Start Screen is a bit more flexible and more customizable with more screen used up.... the bottom line it's still the same OS, guarantee everything other then the start screen is going to be the same.
The START screen is 90% of the OS for me. What else about Windows Phone (or iOS and Android) are distinctive aside from the "home" screens? Yes, there might be less buttons/options on Windows Phone menus and it might have a peculiar love affair with scroll down menus; but that's it. The homescreen is the face of the OS.

You can tell me the two OSes are different and they might be different under the hood; but, the GUI aspects are mostly homogeneous.

Can you explain how WP8 looks nothing like Windows 8? To me, they look very much alike...various-sized live tiles against a plain background. That's straight-up Metro UI.
A lot of it has to do with the sizing and the clustering of the tiles. The sizing of the tiles got a lot smaller and the grid/organization of the tile has largely changed.

Let's get the record straight. "Tiles" and grids will never be distinctive because they are just squares and grids, some of the most design aspects around. What made Metro distinctive was that it used rigid dimensioned, oversized "tiles" on a small grid. The grid was a double column with only 4 rows visible at a time. On PCs, this number can vary; but, it's still generally 3 to 5 rows. The number of columns could vary; but, this made sense due to the wider shape of PCs displays and users had been accustomed to this horizontal continuity through Metro wallpapers.

With WP8, the number of squares in the cluster completely changed. The smaller squares means there will be over 16 rows and 4 columns visible at a time. This change is extremely noticeable since there will be more tiles visible on the phone than the PC. Tile size and shape variation has changed as well now that the number of different shapes has increased from 2 to 4. This is double the shape flexibility. The entire grid becomes more pronounced with more black lines breaking continuity contrasting with the massive shapes/pictures of WP7 and Windows 8.

WP8 uses a completely different grid than WP7.5 and Windows 8 and this is makes it very evident that WP8 is not Windows 8. WP7, in contrast, looks extremely similar to Windows 8 in terms of the grid.

helpful hint. Just use medium size tiles and have ur photo tile and calendar tiles be large tiles. You will essentially emulate wp7.5. Complexity goes out the door.
Part of the issue is just the option to resize tiles will confuse less advanced users. Organizing the tiles, I imagine, will be a nightmare regardless of what size you intend to make them. Now I have to specify tile size each time I organize them!

Furthermore, the widget emphasis is greatly decreased now that app developers can use smaller tiles and are not forced to try to make meaningful use of huge screen real estate. This will motivate more users to use small tiles and the mix of large and small tiles does not go over well with simplicity.

Last edited:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
^Wow buddy, the new tile sizing isn't that big of a problem unless you make it. By the sound of what you're saying that sounds like what you're doing. Just because it can be customized doesn't mean you have to customize them, and no doubt the default tile size will be the one you know already.

As for your last bit, how does that even make sense? How the developer wants to use the live tile is limited only by her own imagination and design. You're argument could be made now and in the case with double sided tiles. If a developer doesn't want to use it, it's their loss and their app won't be as great as the ones that do.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Furthermore, the widget emphasis is greatly decreased now that app developers can use smaller tiles and are not forced to try to make meaningful use of huge screen real estate. This will motivate more users to use small tiles and the mix of large and small tiles does not go over well with simplicity.
Your complaint is largely a matter of taste, so I won't try to convince you otherwise. FWIW, I am more excited about the start screen changes coming in 7.8 than anything I saw in the iOS6 announcement at WWDC.

But your complaint about tile size and developer effort is simply untrue. According to the explanation and demoes we got yesterday, the new tile sizes are automatically generated by the OS. The developer doesn't have to do anything to enable the smaller size, and the standard medium and large sizes will still be available anyway. Your fears that developers will just use the small size out of laziness are completely unfounded.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at this all as someone who is fairly new to WP, but came over from WM and was a long time user since the days of CE. I don't look at the lack of upgrade to WP8 different than the lack of upgrade from WM6.5-7. Will MS continue to introduce an OS every couple of years that's not upgradable with the earlier hardware? I thought the whole reason of moving away from the CE versions and creating this whole new WP OS was to give more control to the creator(MS) to upgrade and continue to improve/advance smartphone technology. I first pictured it similar to the way we upgrade our PC's at home. When Windows comes out with a new OS, we don't always have to buy a new computer. We may need to upgrade a few items, but, even that is only on a very outdated computer hardware wise.

I felt a bit burned by MS when they announced they were moving away from WM and creating WP. Being a loyal user since the days of PDA's, before smartphones, and building my software library around my needs, only to be told they would not be supported any longer. I had literally $100's of software I used daily in my job that I relied upon and to this day, has really not had much in the way of replacement apps found on WP. I have found some work arounds, others, I have had to do without completely or rely on a desktop to make up the difference. Thankfully, we have gone to computerized charting at the hospital so I am always in front of an internet capable computer.

Now, with the introduction of tablets, they now have 2 separate OS's for 2 separate versions of the same thing. This isn't like buying the Desktop OS and having to choose between Basic, Premiere, Home, Super-Ultimate Deluxe versions and 32-64 bit. Those all run the same programs no matter what. You buy a program and it will run on any Win7 computer. Depending on what you buy and when you buy it, you may have to buy 3 separate programs in order to truly be mobile. 1 for work at home, 1 for your tablet(RT) and 1 for your Phone(WP8).

I'll continue using Windows. I really have no major problem with that. I just don't rely wholly on it any longer like I had for years prior.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Some peoplle are just like that the glass is half empty instead of half full!

my glass is always 1/4 empty... but im HAPPY! cant wait for the new UI!!!!

:D:D:D

its also funny how we still know next to NOTHING about WP8.. they told us about 8 features for god sake (6 of witch we already knew a bout ) ... and people still back flip off cliffs.

4ny0n3

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually looking forward to the 7.8 update. I'm not disappointed per se. However, I do understand how others feel. I just got a Lumia 800 with a 18 month contract and my phone is pretty much "legacy" already. That's just one of the so many times mentioned reasons.

My main concern is the lack of native apps for WP7. I'm an avid Twitter user and I like my twitter apps to be as "official" as possible. We all know that the official Twitter app for WP7 is the most incomplete out of all the other official versions. Now, what if Twitter releases a complete and great Twitter App for Windows 8 and they don't release it for Windows Phone 7.8 just because the latter doesn't support native apps and porting is a pain in the ***?

My example with the Twitter app is just one of the many possible situations that will/may arise with the release of Windows Phone 8.

AFAIK Microsoft hasn't said anything concrete that will make us WP7 users rest assured that we won't face the possibility of not enjoying better versions of apps we already have and know just because these versions will be WP8 only.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
No matter what big companies do to make their devices or products better, there is always a buzzkillington out there to T_T about something. They do it to themselves. Let them bicker and miss out on all the good things. The rest of the buyers can rejoice when they finally have something with comparable hardware. The glass is 3/4 full here. My 1/4 is how I'm bummed about not getting the WP8 on my Lumia 900.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss