Why Microsoft just made a huge mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The issue probably stems from the fact that upgrading the older devices would require formatting and reinstalling the OS. I don't see why they couldn't give that option to those who want it. Make a build of WP8 for the single core, 480x800 devices and give us the option to install.

It's not that simple. The bootloaders and all device drivers for the current hardware would need to be rewritten from scratch and tested thoroughly. These would have to be written by the handset manufacturers and the component manufacturers who are more interested in selling us a new handset than upgrading the old ones, this effort will be extremely time-consuming and expensive, and the final result would still likely be WP8 systems that crash frequently, drop connections, and have short battery life. All for close to zero return on their investment and their legacy customers will *still* be p*ssed off at the end of the day.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
But Microsoft lied, when I got the TITAN, the ethos was Microsoft was going to support them and every single phone would get at least ONE major software upgrade. Where's the major upgrade for the TITAN? It instills distrust and makes them not want the same OS again. Now I'll stick with WP7 and get a WP8 device when I'm allowed as long as I get certain stuff from the 7.8 update, if it's just a revamped start screen it's a punch in the teeth followed by a kick in the balls for people like me.

Just remember, when you get your WP8 device, that it most likely won't be upgraded to WP9 so you don't go through it again.

itsmebryan

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The thing I don't understand from all the people who are so mad the first Gen phones like the 900 won't get WP8. If did research before you would have know wp8 was coming before you bought the 900. They have been talking about wp8 well before the 900 launch. That why I waited and got my HTC ARRIVE off contract to see if I liked WP enough to wait for WP8 that I knew was coming out at the end of the year. I for one am glad they didn't limit wp8 to make it compatible with older phones. I think wp7.8 will have more features then just a new start screen. Tech always moves forward and if you want to keep up you sometime have to upgrade. I'm not one of those people that feels that manufactures have to give me free upgrade. As long as they give me all the features promised when I bought the device I'm fine. Just my $.02

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
But Microsoft lied, when I got the TITAN, the ethos was Microsoft was going to support them and every single phone would get at least ONE major software upgrade. Where's the major upgrade for the TITAN? It instills distrust and makes them not want the same OS again. Now I'll stick with WP7 and get a WP8 device when I'm allowed as long as I get certain stuff from the 7.8 update, if it's just a revamped start screen it's a punch in the teeth followed by a kick in the balls for people like me.

How did they lie? Did you sign a contract saying you'd get one major software upgrade? And how is 7.8 not a "major upgrade"?

You used the word "ethos" which implies a BELIEF. Not facts. Beliefs. If you had gone by FACTS, you'd have known that it was unclear, even when the Titan was launched, if these devices would be guaranteed an upgrade to WP8. You should've waited.

The Titan was launched November of 2011 and AT&T normally allows upgrades after 18 months. That means you can upgrade in, what, May of 2013? You'll have had a major upgrade to 7.8 and you'll only be "behind" the launch of WP8 by 6 months.

dbgman

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
As with all products, what you buy today is obsolete tomorrow. Be glad we are getting a partial update. Most androids do not even get one update.

Sent from my Htc Titan using Board Express

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
As with all products, what you buy today is obsolete tomorrow. Be glad we are getting a partial update. Most androids do not even get one update.

HTC Inspire - which I stupidly burned an upgrade on early last year - is forever stuck on Gingerbread. You're exactly right.

Gemini Ace

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what people are so upset about. Anybody that had done any research at all knew this was a possibility. I hoped against hope that it wasn't, but I still kept my head.

Exactly. We all knew WP8 was coming and there was the potential for even our Lumia 900's to not upgrade. I've read the news and been surprised at myself for not being angry, but here's what I've figured out. I still love my phone. It's beautiful and it does everything I want it to. I see Windows Phone 8 as my next upgrade in a couple years. Until then, I'll have 7.8 when it comes out and be happy.

I do wonder one thing though. If there are games (or apps) that we purchased on WP7 that have a counterpart on WP8, will we be able to download that for free when we upgrade? Or is that an all new purchase?

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Just remember, when you get your WP8 device, that it most likely won't be upgraded to WP9 so you don't go through it again.

assuming people like him will still even consider buying wp8....

its a trust issue. Its f-ed up marketing on micro.

7.8 might still have more "features", and here i am wishing it does.. just like most of us WISHED we vould get 8..

But from what i heard yesterday, we get a start screen for the "feel" and NOKIA OWNERS get about 6 apps. Oh, and the PowerPoint DID HAVE some bullets saying Nokia would continue to support their devices... Almost like a promise letter..lol

Samsung? HTC? lol

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
this make me think....

people that got the L900 claiming they gona jump ship if it doesn't get the upgrade..

does that mean they gona buy a Iphone/ Android phone full price? so why not just get a new WP8 full price...

lol? :happy: they might even be cheaper..

lets be honest, why would you get a WP8 devices when you got burned with WP7, my just jump to greener pastures.

And yeah 7.8 is the equivalent of a Prisoner last meal.

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site

but with most androids, you can at least install roms to your liking.
We cant even access APNs on some of the latest windows phones..

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not that simple. The bootloaders and all device drivers for the current hardware would need to be rewritten from scratch and tested thoroughly. These would have to be written by the handset manufacturers and the component manufacturers who are more interested in selling us a new handset than upgrading the old ones, this effort will be extremely time-consuming and expensive, and the final result would still likely be WP8 systems that crash frequently, drop connections, and have short battery life. All for close to zero return on their investment and their legacy customers will *still* be p*ssed off at the end of the day.

Got a quick question. What have the hardware guys been doing this whole time? Counting dollar bills instead of preparing to update phones would be my guess. They all run basically the same core parts so that takes even more pressure off. Next have they not had the software to work with? I find it laughable that an NT based kernel, that came out in 1993, can't scale down but only scales up. Maybe Microsoft just doesn't have the engineers and only hired guys that are worried about design.

This really smells like they are attempting to make Windows 8 seem more giant leap in mobile technology when it really is only par for the course.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
How did they lie? Did you sign a contract saying you'd get one major software upgrade? And how is 7.8 not a "major upgrade"?

Given all the rumours going around, I would hardly call a new start screen a major upgrade. Now if they include something like VoIP integration, and other such things (which they should be able to do, my Android tablet can do it on very similar specs to my smartphone), then I will consider WP7.8 a major upgrade, but if it is just a new start screen, then don't you dare try and pass THAT off as a major upgrade. Ain't gonna cut it.

You used the word "ethos" which implies a BELIEF. Not facts. Beliefs. If you had gone by FACTS, you'd have known that it was unclear, even when the Titan was launched, if these devices would be guaranteed an upgrade to WP8. You should've waited.

When I got this phone, I wasn't using these forums. I wasn't reading WP7 tech blogs, so yeah. And actually, I remember somewhere Microsoft promising that all phones would get at least one major upgrade, after I got the phone. Thanks for giving me a mental note to use thesaurus.com more often though :)

The Titan was launched November of 2011 and AT&T normally allows upgrades after 18 months. That means you can upgrade in, what, May of 2013? You'll have had a major upgrade to 7.8 and you'll only be "behind" the launch of WP8 by 6 months.

Ah, but I'm not on AT&T. Heck, I'm not even that side of the Atlantic. Works different here in the UK, and I actually have to save up for my phones because the telecommunications operators can get stuffed if they think I'm signing up for an 18/24 month contract.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
lets be honest, why would you get a WP8 devices when you got burned with WP7, my just jump to greener pastures.

And yeah 7.8 is the equivalent of a Prisoner last meal.

Exactly. I know I am not going to get torched like that ever again. A Galaxy Nexus is only 399.99 unlocked. Now I just got to find another dope like me to shell out a couple hundred for my Lumia 900 and I am back in the game.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am usually a spin ahead, hopeless optimist. Put my foot in a bear trap, I would probably be glad I was not walking on my head when it happened.

Am I TRULY the only person who doesn't think every app developer isn't going to just fold up tents and run away from WP7? Yes, with it's small marketshare it is likely that most top shelf apps may be headed to WP8 after it takes off, but there are like three or four months before the first WP8 hits the ground, and it is already known that apps written for WP7 will be compatible to WP8. So, why WOULDN'T app developers continue support for WP7 for at least the next year?

Nokia has already announced it is continuing exclusives for it's WP7 lines, why wouldn't others? (I included that link in a Nokia 900 thread, too lazy to go get it again.)

Sure, at some point developers will move on, but really- is the guillotine really falling already???

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
One key thing Joe B said yesterday was that they were making WP8 with multicore in mind FIRST. It makes it sound like they will come out with some "Tango" like WP8 for low end phone later. It would seem to me that if these "low end" devices were 1Ghz single core devices we'd have the ability to upgrade 7.5 Mango devices to WP8 Tango devices.

If that were the plan, I'd rather Joe B had said existing devices aren't getting an uprade "yet" but will.

This is effectively what Apple has done with the 3GS, turn it into a low cost option with the latest OS that just doesn't get all the bells and whistles. Zero reason Microsoft couldn't do the same.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
And let's be real, what developer is going to waste their time coding for Mango when they could just code for WP8?

That depends on how fast WP8 handsets sell. If WP8 takes off and sells like the iphone, then not many developers will bother. Until WP8 gets around 5x-10x the install base of WP7 it will be worth it to code for WP7 since that is a potential 10%-20% in sales and can easily be the difference for profitability. Unless the app needs something WP8 specific (special hardware, or there's some WP8 API that is really critical to have). Most apps already in planning and development for WP7 will continue for at least the next 12 months regardless of how WP8 does.

itsmebryan

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Are wp7.5 and wp7.8 not upgrades?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I know I am not going to get torched like that ever again. A Galaxy Nexus is only 399.99 unlocked. Now I just got to find another dope like me to shell out a couple hundred for my Lumia 900 and I am back in the game.

There's plenty of "dopes" on Ebay that will drop a couple hundred on a Lumia 900 - today. Sell it - today - and you can find a new home. Here, I'll link it for you :

http://www.androidcentral.com

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Are wp7.5 and wp7.8 not upgrades?

TITAN shipped with 7.5, so that doesn't count. And 7.8 depends on the features in it. If it gets VoIP integration etc, then sure, I'll count it. But if it's just a new start screen, that is far from a major upgrade.

There's plenty of "dopes" on Ebay that will drop a couple hundred on a Lumia 900 - today. Sell it - today - and you can find a new home. Here, I'll link it for you :

http://www.androidcentral.com

Thanks but I don't think I'll be hurrying to Android anytime soon. If I leave Windows Phone, it'll be either for BlackBerry (to get back on BBM, more and more of my friends are getting it STILL), or iPhone (for the decent upgrades). I did just read about a potential WP8-Tango version, which will have WP8 but optimised for single-core devices, so I'm not giving up hope just yet.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

Microsoft lied? no they dint ..

they NEVER said anything about First GEN phones getting the update... only bloggers started rumors.... nothing was official till yesterday....

yesterday was the first time MS Confirmed anything about WP8 ..
if you believed the rumors , that's not MS's problem.

not to mention we only got 8 features for WP8... out of hundreds..

and 1 feature for WP7.8 ( witch IS a major update )

so chill out and wait to see what other features are coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb