Tell Microsoft: We just want the App Support of WP8

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The part that really grinds my gears is that fact that all of us wp7 users that have grinded through this slow development of 100,000 apps are now going to lose a lot of support for app development on wp7. I say slow development because though there are 100,000 most of them are crap and we are way behind on a lot of the more "trendier" apps out there in mobile.

This isn't a fact at all. Name one developer that has announced they will not support 7.x

There is 0 reason not to. Porting apps between the two will be trivial.

rsuter

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a developer with 8 apps in marketplace. I think as soon as I have got a WP8 device I will start migrating all apps to the new (better) Win RT framework... I tried out WinRT for Win8 and there are a lot small but significant differences between WP7 Silverlight and WinRT. It won't be that simple to port apps (forward and backward)... If I have to maintain two versions of each app, I think I will completely abandon WP7 and only release bug fix updates and concentrate on WP8 developement for feature updates... And this is why I'm disappointed in Microsoft's decision: I think a lot of developers will do the same... The only solution is that compiling a WP8 app will automatically generate a WP7 app if it doesn't need special API's/hardware.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It's been one day and the guy from Kansas with 7 posts has already decided WP7 won't get app support. I have never seen this level of overreaction on these forums. This is getting tiresome for some of us.
How is this overreaction? Do you think all the Microsoft pundits are wrong when they say that 7.8 is purely the start screen? You realise that this situation is a reality for any platform? As an example, developers can't target iOS6 APIs if they want to support the original iPad. Any substantially better apps than what we have will be WP8-exclusive, as development for 7.x is now at the end of the road (with the exception of a new tile size).

Games will be the major issue here - 7.x will simply fall even further behind than it is already. However, any developers who want native development, a quick port from Windows 8 or were waiting for the future of the platform - they won't be catering for us. It's just weak that you try and use his post count and location to undermine a perfectly sound argument.

the hess

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
My man Surur over at wpcentral.com posted this article not to long ago pretty much echoing my same sentiments. I'm not saying anything is for sure, but it would be helpful to make our voice heard that we would be greatly dissappointed if app support is discontinued on wp7.x. now here is the article
Editorial: Banking on consumer stupidity is a losing proposition | WMPoweruser

(Some of) Yall just don't understand. I aint scared of you mother &#!*^@$ [in my best bernine mac impression

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's been one day and the guy from Kansas with 7 posts has already decided WP7 won't get app support. I have never seen this level of overreaction on these forums. This is getting tiresome for some of us.

It's truly ridiculous. I'm questioning if it's even worth it to come to this forum and try to fight the rising tide of panic and ignorance anymore. :dry

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I want is app support, I agree with the "guy from Kansas with only 7 post"

Putting a full multitasking OS on a single core device will make it run like an absolute dog, but millions of iphone 3GS users would agree this is a valid comprimise.

As such, maybe should offer the choice. Keep your rocket of a phone on WP7.8, or upgrade to WP8, and deal with the performance/imcompatibility issues.

Thats the only way all the news features like App support will come to older devices. Glad i don't have to make that choice, as both would annoy me.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
if you wan't to compare OS compare it properly.

Using you logic it be more like comparing the Iphone and the Iphone 3G .

Apple did the same thing!!!

1: Iphone ( first GEN ditn get upgrade)
2: Iphone 3G (second GEN , dint get upgrade )

3: Iphone 3GS ( third gen + got to Upgrade)

the iphone 1gen got to ios 3.1.3 still still got 3 years full os updates. If you are talking about iphone 1st gen about getting ios 6, of course I don't expect my Titan 2 to run Windows phone 13.
List of iOS devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yes it was supported for three years and had app support for 3 years.

My Titan 2 is a 2nd gen product. It will not get the 3rd generation OS.

So did you want your sandwich back?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
the iphone 1gen got to ios 3.1.3 still still got 3 years full os updates. If you are talking about iphone 1st gen about getting ios 6, of course I don't expect my Titan 2 to run Windows phone 13.
List of iOS devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yes it was supported for three years and had app support for 3 years.

My Titan 2 is a 2nd gen product. It will not get the 3rd generation OS.

So did you want your sandwich back?

No you can keep the sandwich,

1. Apples first Gen Iphones had a HUGE USER base... so they decided to keep supporting it.

. Apple Manufacture their OWN phones and this is IMPORTANT! , because they dont needs to rely on 20 OEM's to create Drivers for their phones ( they do it them self's )

Ms would need to HOPE that , HTC , NOKIA , SAMSUNG , DELL , etc... would all make drivers for the WP8 Update and frankly that is not likely.( they dont make enough cash off of WP to afford such a costly program that they would most likely loses cash on )

can you Imagine if HTC sais , NAAh we are not supporting WP8 drivers for WP7.5 phones.... It be a bigger nightmare then just getting WP7.8, at lease now we ARE getting some Features! apause to possibly getting NOTHING.

3, WP7 User base is so small that MS actually makes next to NO cash on us current Users , as a business decision MS decided to Offer a better Experience for the NEW WP8 users witch will potentially be WAY MORE profitable then the current user base.

4. MS decided to offer the best possible experience for WP7.5 devices by giving them the new UI ( and possibly more features , we dont know yet ) . id rather have that then have ALL the WP8 features and my phone not be able to run them Smooth. Honestly i rather NOT get a game , then get a Game that is basically unplayable on OLD hardware...

Do you honestly think they made this decision about us? H*** NO.... MS doesn't really care about us as much as you might think..

and if you think Apple and Google does; your kidding your self , they just so happen to have better resources to provide what they want witch also happens to be what you want...

and this is just the SURFACE of what a business decision looks like.

Last edited:

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
No you can keep the sandwich,

1. Apples first Gen Iphones had a HUGE USER base... so they decided to keep supporting it.

. Apple Manufacture their OWN phones and this is IMPORTANT! , because they dont needs to rely on 20 OEM's to create Drivers for their phones ( they do it them self's )

Ms would need to HOPE that , HTC , NOKIA , SAMSUNG , DELL , etc... would all make drivers for the WP8 Update and frankly that is not likely.( they dont make enough cash off of WP to afford such a costly program that they would most likely loses cash on )

can you Imagine if HTC sais , NAAh we are not supporting WP8 drivers for WP7.5 phones.... It be a bigger nightmare then just getting WP7.8, at lease now we ARE getting some Features! apause to possibly getting NOTHING.

3, WP7 User base is so small that MS actually makes next to NO cash on us current Users , as a business decision MS decided to Offer a better Experience for the NEW WP8 users witch will potentially be WAY MORE profitable then the current user base.

4. MS decided to offer the best possible experience for WP7.5 devices by giving them the new UI ( and possibly more features , we dont know yet ) . id rather have that then have ALL the WP8 features and my phone not be able to run them Smooth. Honestly i rather NOT get a game , then get a Game that is basically unplayable on OLD hardware...

Do you honestly think they made this decision about us? H*** NO.... MS doesn't really care about us as much as you might think..

and if you think Apple and Google does; your kidding your self , they just so happen to have better resources to provide what they want witch also happens to be what you want...

and this is just the SURFACE of what a business decision looks like.
Just a point on the whole driver thing and MS and Windows Phone. Remember that MS controlled a lot of the specification for these devices. The OEM could control things like the size of the screen, the types of buttons, layout of the device etc. But things like the processor types, memory, camera and other minimum specifications were controlled by MS. So to get "all those" drivers would actually be fairly easy as MS already told the OEM's what they were allowed to use.

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
When I had my iPod touch 2nd Gen there were a ton of games available in the app store that I couldn't run because they weren't supported on my device but i did get the newer OS. How is this different than what Microsoft is doing?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
When I had my iPod touch 2nd Gen there were a ton of games available in the app store that I couldn't run because they weren't supported on my device but i did get the newer OS. How is this different than what Microsoft is doing?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
Well games make sense because there are higher hardware demands. But I bet most regular apps worked fine. But at least there wasn't anything special that had to be done. Now in order to make a Windows 8 app work with Windows 7.5 it can't use any of the Windows 8 API's which can cut out a large part of the features that makes Windows 8 appealing to a developer. Never-mind the fact you can make a Windows 8 and have it run over several different platforms.

No one is debating the fact that yeah games probably won't run on the older hardware but this has a lot of potential to ruin the whole WP7.5 apps market and availability. What we have now is effectively all we can end up with.

the hess

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I am as mad now if not more so when I started this post. Hardware has been announced but there has been no news on wp7.8 and its capabilities....

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

It's like the guy with the username "N0kia4LIFEEE" with 2 posts going to the HTC forum and just trolling the 8X and such.

We get it nokia fanboys, in your eyes there is nothing better than a nokia phone. Move along.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Smartphones get changed out every 18-24 months. It is unrealistic and unreasonable to expect Microsoft or anyone else to bend over backwards to make sure new apps come out for WP7 phones. What's their incentive? Keep people on legacy phones longer so their marketshare stagnates and OEM's don't sell as many new phones?

That said, there are plenty of apps out already and many of them will be updated and still work on both 7.5/7.8 and WP8.

In developing countries, they will be selling new phones with 7.8 on them for at least a year or more, so those people will want apps...though some of those new apps might be in Chinese or Hindi or something, not sure.

There will still be a large group of users with WP 7.5 / 7.8 for a while and apps can be written to run on both, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure some developers will continue to support it for a while.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd imagine the majority of apps released over the next three months will be "WP7 apps," since that represents the majority of the installed active base.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb