WP8 needs Musicians!

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Please dont get sick of Music apps...we have way too many Photo apps(probably more than iPhone fart apps) to give up now.

I have about 3 games that are partially complete that I would like to finish at some point. But I don't think I will give up. I also hope to start a WinRT version sooner than August as the bigger screen excites me. I also don't want to let down all the people who have bought the current version of Pianist.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
My 2 cents.
Creative types prefer Apple products 90% of the time. Even if Windows Phone were the superior platform for recording on the go, that isn't going to sway them as it doesn't have the "cool" factor that an Apple product has. WP8 is targeted squarely at two groups of people: Corporate and average consumers. Gamers are also target, but to a lesser degree. With its grid of square tiles, with their single solid color on a solid background, and focus on delivering information, WP very much appeals to left brain types who want organization and efficiency. In short, it puts function before form. I love how Windows Phone looks, but I am most certainly left brained, loving Science, math, and diving deep into technology (I can't remember the last time I had a computer running only a single OS). Microsoft shows off production applications, highlighting Office and its SharePoint capabilities. iOS (and Android, though to a lesser degree), put form before function. Developers can create very beautiful, artistic icons, but they don't tell you anything. It is full of textures that serve to beautify, but distract from getting at the info you want. You can choose a beautiful background to always see on your home screen, but it can make reading your icons more difficult. All of these things appeal to right brained, creative type peoples (artists, musicians, etc.) Apple likes to show off advanced apps like iMovie and Garage band. For this reason, I don't think you will ever have music apps on Windows Phone that are up to par with the iOS options.

I don't know about this left brain / right brain thing man. A lot of creative types also like a minimalist environment. Apple products certainly have minimalist lines. The metro UI could be considered an extension of the Helvetica font, the most popular font in design, applied to a broader spectrum.

All it would take to attract creative types to Win8 are solid apps and great products (like the surface) and people using them to create. Win8Pro is, after all, equivalent to a MacBook Air and an iPad in one product. If only Microsoft would come up with decent apps like Garage Band and iMovie built-in into Win8...

I don't think the platform is doomed, and I'm hoping we'll see a lot more ports of great music apps, especially since Windows 8 will slowly replace Win 7 and millions of computers in the world. I think this is Microsoft's goal as well: by spreading a tablet OS, or mix of tablet / desktop on most computers in the world, developing for Win8 becomes a cash cow.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that the platform is doomed, in fact I think it had a bright future. I just don't think it will ever be the platform of choice for creative type people.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyway to get Dan to bring this up to Microsoft? Or at least to get someone with connections talking about this? MS may have solutions...or maybe they forgot about this aspect and there is still time to create solutions :)

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
There is a reason the iPhone is the smartphone of choice for musicians. Core Audio is the best audio subsystem in the business. Does WP8 have anything to compete with Core Audio?

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
New article about W8 and music production: The Cakewalk Blog ? Blog Archive ? Windows 8 – A benchmark for music production applications

Apparently W8 would perform better under the desktop mode. Jury's still out on whether or nor devs will be able to make Metro apps low latency...

Its safe to say that Windows 8 is generally faster than Windows 7, but in desktop mode we can use ASIO with our nice soundcards and get that nice latency. I have an old ?45 EMU 0404 PCI card that works a treat with my guitar at 3ms latency. Also works just as great on Windows 8.

However, Windows RT tablets don't quite get everything in desktop mode, the drivers will differ so who knows what will happen there.

Good article though vp710, lays these facts out nice and clear, and shows us that Windows 8 IS better

brandon Hortman

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you. I have used Windows Phones since the XDA 02 in 2002!! I'm am some what disappointed because there hasn't been much ground broke in the OS since then.
In fact I feel that the OS has become more restricted judging by the DEATH of apps right after the switch from WinCe to WP-OS (Like Wp8 or WP7 ect)
I am an audio engineer, as in that is exactly how I make a living. I could do so much with this device but there just aren't enough apps and the OS is so dumbed down.
I WANT A DAMN COMPUTER IN MY POCKET BILL GATES, NOT A TOY!!! =)
A good DAW with MIDI instruments, a TRRS interface with 48v (Like the Tascam IXZ), and I could do all my pre pro on my phone.

I can't even find any sort of audio recording DAW in the marketplace what so ever!!!

I know my criticism sounds harsh, but I love my windows phones. That is why I take the time to criticize =)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon