8773 force update possible? (like 8107)

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The title should be explanatory enough, but I was curious if it's possible if we could force update our phones the same way we did with 8107, but with the 8773 update?

I was searching around to see if it was, but I've found no info thus far so I'll open the question to you all.

Just a thought, since I know Sprint won't be supporting me anytime soon ;) and I'd like a holdover to 7.8.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
im sure once it gets closer, there will eventually be a way to force the update. as of now there is not. furthermore, by forcing the update there is always a chance you could "walsh" out any future updates. so being that 7.8 isnt tooooo far away, might not be worth it.

sab742

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
It is very likely that it can be done once the URL to the location of the .cab update file on the Microsoft servers is known.

If you do get a notification about the update then please download Wireshark: Wireshark ? Download and set it up to monitor your internet usage with the following filter: http.request

Then allow Zune to update. The update URLs will appear in Wireshack in the form of http://download.windowsupdate.com/m...are/dflt/2012/06/************************.cab

There may be more than one cab file as there is probably the core update and separate language files.

Once the community knows the URLs the existing tutorials on the net for updating to the 8107 update using the "cab sender method" will be effective in updating to 8773.

EDIT: Solved, see below.

Last edited:

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
If my phone is unlocked do I still need to wait from my carrier to somehow approve the update or can I rely on the OEM (LG) to give me the update?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
If my phone is unlocked do I still need to wait from my carrier to somehow approve the update or can I rely on the OEM (LG) to give me the update?
If you bought it as an unlocked phone from a proper wholesaler, then LG will roll it out. If it was carrier branded, you wait for that carrier to roll it out (even if you unlock it after).

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
If you bought it as an unlocked phone from a proper wholesaler, then LG will roll it out. If it was carrier branded, you wait for that carrier to roll it out (even if you unlock it after).
Thanks. Yeah it's 100% unlocked from a proper wholesaler, no carrier interference on this one.

Hopefully LG get to it then.

sab742

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The URL locations for the update CAB files have now been intercepted and are listed here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List: 7.10.8107 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates

If you're currently on 8107 then first send 8112 OS updates (2 files) + relevant language packs first, then in a second wave send 8773 OS updates (also 2 files) + language packs.

If you're already on 8112 you only need to send 8773.

If you are currently on a sub-8107 OS build then you need to get updated to that first.

The WPCentral guide for force updating to 8107 provides the relevant principles for the cab sender method: http://www.windowscentral.com/force-updating-your-windows-phone-os-build-8107-tutorial

Be aware that this is an unsupported method of updating and you should choose the option in the cab sender tool to backup your device at the start.

EDIT: There may be issues with updating Dell Venue Pros (various phone functions crashing). In general I would advise that people wait a few days so that any complications can be identified.

Last edited:

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I used the CAB method.

Apart from the MMS upgrades, I haven't seen anything noteworthy. Where's the new GPS icon everyone is talking about?

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Just updated to 8773 on my Arrive and WiFi works perfectly. I will test out MMS in the morning and report back but so far, no issues at all. Runs just as well as 8017 did.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Good morning! I just sent out a test MMS (picmail to be exact) and it seems it went through just fine. I recieved no error at all.

So far, everything works as it should. Anything else you'd like me to test out? :)

Awesome! Nope, the issues that were brought up seem to be hit or miss. I will install it this afternoon, and see how it goes. Thanks!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
for thos eof you who forced the update using this method, has it prevented you from recieving future updates from the carriers? if it truly walshes the phones, then not worth it to me, plus the risk factor

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Considering the only Windows Phone I have is an HTC Arrive and Sprint hasn't pushed out a new update since Mango 7720, I honestly don't know. I threw caution to the wind with the lack of care Sprint has for Windows Phone and I highly doubt they'll push out any new updates for this phone.

Only 7.8 is a projected update for us right now, and that's only because it's coming straight from Microsoft. If we're walshed, I can't say from an Arrive user standpoint... and if so, it's not like we're losing out much anyway. Thanks, Sprint.

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
Bought my focus S off craigslist and on Straight Talk.

I wont be getting any updates unless I force them myself i assume...

Currently on 7720

Do I need to unlock the phone or anything?
I have Interlop Unlock only

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb