What cool features Windows 8 have that WP7 doesn't?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I haven't being following Windows 8 much but I know that it shares things like a mail app and People hub.

My question is, what new things that version have that we dont currently enjoy? Besides landscape support. I just want to know the importance of sharing code with W8.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Off the top of my head: easier porting, native development, richer Bluetooth stack, wider hardware support. Something like a mail app doesn't have anything to do with the kernel or underlying structure.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Meh I don't care about any of that stuff. Mmm but hey! In Windows 8 you can use two apps at the same time, like both take a space on the screen. That should be possible and it will make every other multitask look dumb in comparison.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Meh I don't care about any of that stuff. Mmm but hey! In Windows 8 you can use two apps at the same time, like both take a space on the screen. That should be possible and it will make every other multitask look dumb in comparison.
So you wouldn't care for smoother apps, faster hardware and better games? :/

Snap multitasking would probably be a pain on a 4" screen. Unless the cunning plan is that every device will be Galaxy Note-sized.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I care but that's just obvious information, I'm referring more about OS features that I personally will use. I want to know the improvements on their messaging and people hub etc...

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. Do you mean what advantages Windows Phone 8 has over Windows Phone 7?

In that case irlju has it pretty well covered so far, but in terms of the things you're asking about; messaging and people hub and so on? I think it's fair to expect that there will be some minor changes to the social stuff, both on the Phone OS and the Desktop/Tablet version to bring them more in line with each other. But at the moment the WP7 implementation is a long way ahead of what is currently present in Windows 8 (desktop), so there's not really anything that could be inferred from that. If anything further functionality has to be added to the desktop/tablet version of the OS.

Multitasking I can't see changing a whole lot on the phone outside of the way that will operate on a base level. Certainly I don't think snap multitasking will be added; it works ok on a 1080p - 27in screen, but no matter the resolution, it's gonna look stupid on a 3-5in display.

I'm not sure how helpful any of that is because you seem to be asking about OS features that are of more relevance to consumers rather than developers and at this stage pretty much nothing has been said about that. Although built in skype support will be there.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't being following Windows 8 much but I know that it shares things like a mail app and People hub.

My question is, what new things that version have that we dont currently enjoy? Besides landscape support. I just want to know the importance of sharing code with W8.

Let me get this straight.

You're freaking out because you're sure that WP7 sucks now and is a pile of dead legacy crap and your life depends on getting WP8 because it's so awesome......but you have no idea what features make it any better than WP7 or what you're "missing out on".

Got it. :lol:

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Basically, wait and see. The event was not consumer-focused, so much of the talk was around new technologies that developers can utilise. See this quote from the blog:

"We’re putting the finishing touches on Windows Phone 8 as I write this. It has a ton of great new consumer features that I can’t wait to tell you about in the months ahead. Today, however, I’m going to show off just one: the beautiful, flexible new Start screen."

Announcing Windows Phone 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa