A few questions for windows phone

sdanaher#CB

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Looking at buying a Lumia 900 (used) here this week to replace my iPhone 4s.

Couple general OS questions I can't find the answers to:

1) if I have a large iTunes or windows media player video and music library, can I stream this content to my phone (on the same wifi network). If you know iPhones, I mean like you can in the Video app with a shared library (home sharing)

2) does windows phone work well with BMW USB ports? I checked BMW forums and found nothing

3) is Image quality of skydive saved photos severely decreased? How so?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

1) if I have a large iTunes or windows media player video and music library, can I stream this content to my phone (on the same wifi network). If you know iPhones, I mean like you can in the Video app with a shared library (home sharing)
I can't answer all of your questions but I did find an app that looks like it can stream local content from your computer to Windows Phone: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/cddfeb87-c873-462a-9336-c21bcca391e3

I don't believe this functionality is baked into the OS though. Without an app to do it, you need to either load your music directly onto your phone (like a PMP) or upload to SkyDrive and stream from there. SkyDrive streaming is supported.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

2) does windows phone work well with BMW USB ports? I checked BMW forums and found nothing

3) is Image quality of skydive saved photos severely decreased? How so?

1- there are a few ways to stream your music, gooroovster works well for google play
music, which you can upload 10000 songs for free... with a zune pass ( which i reccommend) you can stream any music anytime. im sure there are a few other ways to do this, via skydrive

2- windows works well with most all usb ports, it works on my volkswagon cc which is a lso a german car

3- skydrive does shrink the size down for compatibility, but it is nothing to worry about. ive used icloud, dropbox, google drive, and skydrive, and i prefer skydrive to all of them simply because it is built in to the phone...

a lot of people will tell you to wait for windows 8 because the lumia 900 wont be upgraded to it, but fact of the matter is... windows phones in general are amazing... even on mango. what i would say is to sell your iphone 4s outright on ebay (roughly 500) and buy a lumia outright (roughly 250) and save the profit to pay for an upgrade once windows 8 is released...as a former iphone user i can tell you this OS has some gaps, but is slowly growing to becoming one of the best smartphones ever. my wife just sold her iphone 4 and bought a much lower end windows phone, the htc trophy, simply because thats all verizon offers right now... welcome to the wpcentral!!!
3-

sdanaher#CB

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
1- there are a few ways to stream your music, gooroovster works well for google play
music, which you can upload 10000 songs for free... with a zune pass ( which i reccommend) you can stream any music anytime. im sure there are a few other ways to do this, via skydrive

2- windows works well with most all usb ports, it works on my volkswagon cc which is a lso a german car

3- skydrive does shrink the size down for compatibility, but it is nothing to worry about. ive used icloud, dropbox, google drive, and skydrive, and i prefer skydrive to all of them simply because it is built in to the phone...

a lot of people will tell you to wait for windows 8 because the lumia 900 wont be upgraded to it, but fact of the matter is... windows phones in general are amazing... even on mango. what i would say is to sell your iphone 4s outright on ebay (roughly 500) and buy a lumia outright (roughly 250) and save the profit to pay for an upgrade once windows 8 is released...as a former iphone user i can tell you this OS has some gaps, but is slowly growing to becoming one of the best smartphones ever. my wife just sold her iphone 4 and bought a much lower end windows phone, the htc trophy, simply because thats all verizon offers right now... welcome to the wpcentral!!!
3-
Thanks for the help! I'm not worried about WP8. I'll upgrade when it is out.

I'm trying to switch my entire ecosystem to Microsoft this summer in preparation for windows 8 in general.

Regarding windows media player, I'm more interested in access to streaming on wifi my video library.

My home pc has 7tb of ripped mp4 movies and tv shows, drm free.

Can I stream these via play to? Does that work well?

It works very well to stream to my Xbox 360.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about STREAMING your media library, but it's easy to TRANSFER an iTunes library to the phone. Download the Zune software. In settings, add your iTunes library to your Zune music library (this won't copy it on your computer's hard drive, just give Zune access to the library). Your iTunes library will now appear in Zune on your PC as well, though you can obviously still interact through iTunes if you prefer that. In Zune, drag and drop whatever music you want in the Zune program on your PC onto your phone.

My Windows Phone does not work with the USB port on my 2011 Civic Si. So I use the "aux in" jack and control the track with the handset itself instead of the stereo system controls. Works just fine in any car with a 3.5mm "aux in" jack.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You can stream all of your Zune desktop music to your phone using Zemote. So no need to transfer to your phone, provided you are connected to your WiFi network. As noted Zune can link up to everything you have in iTunes.

Not sure about videos. There are a few apps that will connect to your PC via WiFi, but you need to run a app on your PC to open a port. Some will stream video.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It looks like your both your music and video library can also be streamed usng the TVersity app I linked above in post #2

(I post this reference to it because my first post had to be approved and it magically appeared at position 2 AFTER a few people had replied)

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
xbox will also stream your music library, and once smartglass is released it will open up a whole new world of streaming possibilities...

check out smartglass demo if you havent seen it yet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb