DLNA Device

hobbit25

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a Western Digital TV Live and its amazing. It carries the standard assortment of online channels such as youtube and netflix. Plus it has great DLNA support. I can stream shows from my PC to the WD TV Live just by right clicking on the file on my PC. I also tested the PlayTo from nokia and music, pictures and video works flawlessly.

I would recommend it if you want something simple and feature rich.
WD TV Live

There is also an unofficial remote app for it in the marketplace.

Last edited:

fleeper99

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Western Digital TV Live and its amazing. It carries the standard assortment of online channels such as youtube and netflix. Plus it has great DLNA support. I can stream shows from my PC to the WD TV Live just by right clicking on the file on my PC. I also tested the PlayTo from nokia and music, pictures and video works flawlessly.

I would recommend it if you want something simple and feature rich.
WD TV Live

There is also an unofficial remote app for it in the marketplace.

This looks like what I am wanting. Thanks much.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you current TV is getting "long in the tooth" (getting old), consider getting a "smart" TV that has networking (LAN/WiFi) built in or can be added. I believe that most the internet ready TV's have DLNA clients in them.

I picked up a Samsung smart TV, and it has DLNA client built in. With my current router that has USB drive support, and DLNA server. I go to my TV and pick movies, music, pictures to be played from the router. Or on my laptop, I just select a file and select "play to" my TV and it shows up on my TV.

I was initially leery of getting internet/smart TV, thinking that it would be a stupid thing. But now I can't live without it. I'm always streaming movies from my router. Seriously considering subscribing to Netflix and Hulu (the TV has Netflix and Hulu apps in it) and dropping cable.

When I eventually get a WP, it will be nice to share pics, music, etc via the TV instead of passing the phone around the room.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
If you current TV is getting "long in the tooth" (getting old), consider getting a "smart" TV that has networking (LAN/WiFi) built in or can be added. I believe that most the internet ready TV's have DLNA clients in them.

I picked up a Samsung smart TV, and it has DLNA client built in. With my current router that has USB drive support, and DLNA server. I go to my TV and pick movies, music, pictures to be played from the router. Or on my laptop, I just select a file and select "play to" my TV and it shows up on my TV.

I was initially leery of getting internet/smart TV, thinking that it would be a stupid thing. But now I can't live without it. I'm always streaming movies from my router. Seriously considering subscribing to Netflix and Hulu (the TV has Netflix and Hulu apps in it) and dropping cable.

When I eventually get a WP, it will be nice to share pics, music, etc via the TV instead of passing the phone around the room.

I have a Samsung TV, and let me tell you that streaming Netflix is terrible. Picture quality is the worst out of any streaming device. My Xbox and PS3 are more optimized for Netflix. I thought I was just doing something wrong, but after doing more research, this is common for TVs, not just Samsung.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 Sammy TVs, a Sammy BR and a Boxee, all with DLNA. (also 4K+ docs on my computer) and I wouldn't buy another TV without DLNA.

I did some research for friends about setting them up with DLNA. Whichever device you choose take a close look at the formats it's capable of handling. Some of the devices out there can't handle unpacking .mkw format videos.

IIRC the Western Digital Devices were pretty capable, as were the Roku.

Also, if you're not in the states, be aware that some devices don't support things like Netflix in some countries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes