A BASED edition - Will Windows Phone 8 flop?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
MS and the carriers need to mount a massive ad campaign ala Apple before the launch date and continue it building mindshare and showing off the new features in real life situations and get the attemtion of the smartphone universe in advance and keep that campaign up and pressing for the long haul.

Didnt we say this before the WP7 launch, before the Mango launch, before the Lumia launch? Odds are we'll be saying the same thing for WP9.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
With RIM falling off the cliff, perhaps Microsoft should focus on the enterprise market.

Companies will buy Windows Phones in bulk if Windows Phone has killer enterprise features.

I am not saying that enterprise should be the only focus, but it should be priority one.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Didnt we say this before the WP7 launch, before the Mango launch, before the Lumia launch? Odds are we'll be saying the same thing for WP9.

Fair enough, but the Lumia launch did get some attention, and has at least started to get some thinking about the platform even if it didn't create a massive amount of sales relative to the current big 2. I think with the big 3 from MS (Windows, WP, Xbox) all sharing the Metro look and bringing the cross platform sharing of apps, features, and services, they could make some pretty compelling marketing out of it. Time will tell if they do, and if it starts generating more positive results.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
With RIM falling off the cliff, perhaps Microsoft should focus on the enterprise market.

Companies will buy Windows Phones in bulk if Windows Phone has killer enterprise features.

I am not saying that enterprise should be the only focus, but it should be priority one.

I think with all the new WP features in that area along with Windows on tablets and ultrabooks, the Enterprise is an area they will continue to dominate for quite some time. IT depts. that aren't already heavily using other platforms will eat it up for it's ease of integrating into their existing environments. (Windows, Active Directory, Office, Outlook, etc.)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think with all the new WP features in that area along with Windows on tablets and ultrabooks, the Enterprise is an area they will continue to dominate for quite some time. IT depts. that aren't already heavily using other platforms will eat it up for it's ease of integrating into their existing environments. (Windows, Active Directory, Office, Outlook, etc.)

No doubt we are super excited for Surfaces and Lumias can't wait

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The last two pitfalls I see for a succesful WP 8 launch:

1) As mentioned a few times: Hero devices. Flagships. Something to get people excited. Here is where the relationship with Nokia is so vital. HTC has already announced it is repacking their One series with WP, and Sammy is rumored to bring it to GS3 devices and maybe a Note-style Phablet. Those are fine efforts and great hardware, but not unique to WP 8. Nokia will be leading the original, only WP 8, top notch devices. Rumors include a pureview device, upgraded 900- style device in more color options, even physical keyboard devices. That is what is needed.

2) Promote. Push. Advertise. Announce. Exclaim. Bribe. Strong arm. Rent planes with banners, billboards that talk, clowns, water-skiing squirrels, laser light shows, the Rockettes, the Chippendales, whatever else can be thought of. Hire unpopular celebreties to talk about how much they love the iPhone. Link Android to the New Black Panthers and the KKK. Whatever it takes to get publicity and interest to WP 8 and Windows 8 ecosystems.

2013 is shaping up to be a very, very important year for us WP Geeks.....

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I need a Windows phone this fall I can't wait until November.. If so iPhone 5 will take over corporate.

I can push Windows all I want but at the end of the day I need atleast 2 weeks of testing with WP8 and RT before I can push it out.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I need a Windows phone this fall I can't wait until November.. If so iPhone 5 will take over corporate.

I can push Windows all I want but at the end of the day I need atleast 2 weeks of testing with WP8 and RT before I can push it out.

wonder if u can get an early build if u ping Joe Belfiore or somebody from MS? i mean, if ur company have enough ppl the sales would be large enough to entice them into doing something about it for u

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
wonder if u can get an early build if u ping Joe Belfiore or somebody from MS? i mean, if ur company have enough ppl the sales would be large enough to entice them into doing something about it for u

It's not that big medium sized I must say. It's just I am really going for my 1 ecosystem vision and the more longer I have to wait the more chances that isn't going to happen.

I'm well Bell so hopefully they get some cool things coming in soon. I expect September/October release!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes