WP7 closing in on iOS on prefrence

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
That is certainly good. I like to see polls of what people like/want vs. what they have. It shows you were trends are moving. So what if Windows Phone only has 2.5% market share in the UK, 17% of Brits think its best, and when you are up for renewal you buy what you think is best.

Windows Phone has really only been a real competitive alternative to Android and iOS since November when the Gen 2 devices launched. The Pre-Mango versions of the OS lacked too many features to draw people away from other OS's and the Gen 1 devices had hardware that was less than inspiring (with the possible exception of the Focus). Now it can go feature for feature with the big boys and has some really great hardware to run on (particularly the Lumia 800/900, the Titan II, and the Lumia 710).

Smartphone users who adopted Android in 2010 and early 2011 (when Android really exploded) are now coming up for renewal. A lot of these people have a bad taste in their mouth from having abandoned hardware that is perfectly capable of running a new OS, buggy, laggy and unreliable phones that took months to get update (if they ever did), and generally poor experiences. Yes, a lot of people will go to iOS now that it is on more carriers than when they got their last phones, but there is a decent amount of the population that doesn't like Apple products and will want something different than iOS. WP8 has a real shot at grabbing those customers now that WebOS is out of the picture and BlackBerry OS 10 isn't coming until early 2013.

Last edited:

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why Android is so popular.
Because for a while it was the only viable alternative to iPhone and it was put on so many devices at so many price points and so many specifications that it pretty much pleased everyone. People stick with what they know.

The biggest mistake MS made with WP7 (in my opinion) was one they made for the right reasons. They didn't want massive numbers of different handsets out there because it appears to dilute the quality of the system; in the same way that low to mid-range Android handsets make their system look bad.

They failed to take in to account that if you don't have a **** ton of different handsets then it's pretty difficult to appeal to a wide range of people; and therefore sell them.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Because for a while it was the only viable alternative to iPhone and it was put on so many devices at so many price points and so many specifications that it pretty much pleased everyone. People stick with what they know.

The biggest mistake MS made with WP7 (in my opinion) was one they made for the right reasons. They didn't want massive numbers of different handsets out there because it appears to dilute the quality of the system; in the same way that low to mid-range Android handsets make their system look bad.

They failed to take in to account that if you don't have a **** ton of different handsets then it's pretty difficult to appeal to a wide range of people; and therefore sell them.

They had a bunch of handsets there was a wide variety of 1st gen devices. I blame the OEM's for not marketing their phones.

MS should of released a 1st party Windows Phone first then have OEM's follow similar to what they are doing with Surface.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why Android is so popular.

I got my first Android phone in November of 2009, a Motorola Droid. I was on Verizon, so Android was the only modern OS available. Blackberry and windows mobile couldn't hold a candle to it. I switched to an HD7 shortly after it launched and there were things I missed from Android, not just apps, but things like copy paste, multi tasking, dual cameras, HSPA+ data speeds, and wifi tethering. However, to me the smoothness and stability were worth it. I didn't even like Metro at first but it grew on me. I loved Windows Phone, but had a hard time recommending it because, until mango, feature wise, it wasn't a modern OS. That is why Android got popular. For two years, it was the only full featured, modern OS for someone who wasn't on AT&T or didn't want an iPhone. Now it has name recognition. And honestly, to the end user, Android and it's interface we're more familiar and "Windows like" than any other OS.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I got my first Android phone in November of 2009, a Motorola Droid. I was on Verizon, so Android was the only modern OS available. Blackberry and windows mobile couldn't hold a candle to it. I switched to an HD7 shortly after it launched and there were things I missed from Android, not just apps, but things like copy paste, multi tasking, dual cameras, HSPA+ data speeds, and wifi tethering. However, to me the smoothness and stability were worth it. I didn't even like Metro at first but it grew on me. I loved Windows Phone, but had a hard time recommending it because, until mango, feature wise, it wasn't a modern OS. That is why Android got popular. For two years, it was the only full featured, modern OS for someone who wasn't on AT&T or didn't want an iPhone. Now it has name recognition. And honestly, to the end user, Android and it's interface we're more familiar and "Windows like" than any other OS.

Yeah if it came out with Mango right off the bat it would be totally different to bad 7 wasn't up to par.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro