Why Nokia and WP8 will not fail

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nokia is in a bind currently with the WP8 information but the Lumia line is still a great buy even with WP7.8 Nokia has enough cash on hand to survive the summer. When WP8 hits the market they will be ready we will see that high end camera on a wp8 device for sure. and perhaps even a decent tablet. Microsoft nor the Fin Gov. will allow Nokia to go belly up. Nokia placed all there eggs in the MS camp it's not going to happen. the smart money right now is to buy Nokia stock hold for mid range 12-24 months if all goes right with Win8 and WP8 and Win 8 Tablets they have a system that Apple and Google can't touch. we should see Nokia stock at $10-15 in 12-15 months down the road buying at $2.00 per share currently is one heck of a buy. Lets us take the worse case and say Nokia gets taken over the company value is much more than $2.00 per making that investment very profitable. Plus the Lumia line is still a great buy even with just WP7.8

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft nor the Fin Gov. will allow Nokia to go belly up.

Doubtful, in the CEO's own words:

We love Nokia and love what they are doing, but our commitment to our shareholders is to have success with the Windows Phone, and Nokia is a part of that, but Nokia is not all of that. They are only a part of our overall path to market and a path to our overall great success in the phone business.

When Nokia came on board one of the premises that was important to us and to them was that this was about a third eco-system and not a third manufacturer. And the key for them would be that they were one of a set of guys who would strive for growth on the Windows Phone. And we are also pursuing that quite nicely with our other partners.”

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
It would be a shame to lose Nokia, who appear to be the only manufacturer other than Apple interested in innovating. Nokia does a lot of research on all manner of matters you wouldn't immediately associate with handset manufacture, before thinking of a real-world application, and it shows.

However, don't expect Microsoft or the Finnish government to prop them up. Nokia are in a bad position and it's not going to get any better until after WP8 launches... at least. Here's to hoping all goes well!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am getting tired of all the Nokia doom and glum stuff. The tone and belief that they can't fail feels eerily similar to webOS' demise at the hands of HP.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I am getting tired of all the Nokia doom and glum stuff. The tone and belief that they can't fail feels eerily similar to webOS' demise at the hands of HP.

Different situation.

WebOS was brilliant, but it wasn't invented at HP, they didn't understand how to market it. They failed to deliver the right hardware for its future. Palm's culture and HP's culture were as different as night and day. HP is a boring company of emotions robot-like nerdy engineers and bean counting accountants. No imagination. HP never would have come up with something like WebOS on their own and once they had it, it didn't understand the value of what they had.

It was also a case of being too little too late. They didn't do nearly enough to promote it and advertise and the onslaught of Android junk is relentless and a lot of people are stupid enough to get "wowed" by a 4.7" screen full of flashing widgets and clutter and think it's "better" than a smaller, much more "zen" WebOS phone.

I think Nokia and Windows Phone are much different. Doesn't mean that Nokia can't fail for other reasons, but at least Nokia is running Nokia right now. They have their own culture intact.

As far as Windows Phone, well Microsoft is legendary for sticking with stuff and backing it to the hilt. They did it with Xbox, they're doing it with Bing and Windows Phone is arguably more important to Microsoft future than either of those, so it ain't going anywhere.

Nokia has many advantages that HP didn't. One huge one is they can focus on hardware, because they've got Microsoft doing the OS. HP had to try to do BOTH.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Different situation.

WebOS was brilliant, but it wasn't invented at HP, they didn't understand how to market it. They failed to deliver the right hardware for its future. Palm's culture and HP's culture were as different as night and day. HP is a boring company of emotions robot-like nerdy engineers and bean counting accountants. No imagination. HP never would have come up with something like WebOS on their own and once they had it, it didn't understand the value of what they had.

It was also a case of being too little too late. They didn't do nearly enough to promote it and advertise and the onslaught of Android junk is relentless and a lot of people are stupid enough to get "wowed" by a 4.7" screen full of flashing widgets and clutter and think it's "better" than a smaller, much more "zen" WebOS phone.

I think Nokia and Windows Phone are much different. Doesn't mean that Nokia can't fail for other reasons, but at least Nokia is running Nokia right now. They have their own culture intact.

As far as Windows Phone, well Microsoft is legendary for sticking with stuff and backing it to the hilt. They did it with Xbox, they're doing it with Bing and Windows Phone is arguably more important to Microsoft future than either of those, so it ain't going anywhere.

Nokia has many advantages that HP didn't. One huge one is they can focus on hardware, because they've got Microsoft doing the OS. HP had to try to do BOTH.
I agree with you. I have this feeling that this company made the right move. We all knew that WP7 was the start point. because all tech has a start point. WP8 is going to be the OS that moves WP into the real main stream. there will be Oh it does not have this or that because it will have. and Nokia is going to be the lead in design and products. sure HTC is there with one or three devices and Samsung but it's going to be Nokia that will lead the charge.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is actually in a pretty good situation.

They have a new power house superphone operating system in Windows Phone 8

They have a super efficient low cost affordable operating system in Windows Phone 7.5

Now what they need to do is advertise the differences

Windows Phone 8 = superphone, pocket PC in the palm of your hands
Windows Phone 7.5 = smart, efficient, low cost smart phone in the palm of your hands

Competition is not only brewing in the high end market with Android Jellybean, IOS6, BB10 and WP8

But if you look at low end you have Android, Firefox OS, Amazon OS, Facebook OS, Meego is making a comeback. You have an all our war in the low end smartphone game.

WP7.5/7.8 has a home in that market if they can nail the prices down to under 300$ for a Lumia 900 pay as you go they have a higher chance in dominating the market.

Also Nokia can produce Windows RT devices

Windows RT 7 inch tablets to combat the Nexus 7 and the new 7 inch iPad
Windows RT 11 - 13inch ultrabooks to fight off Chromebooks etc

A lot of options = a lot of opportunity

Hopefully Nokia thinks like myself and will capitalize on this

BlackSmythe

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I hope Nokia pulls through. My gut is telling me they will. They make great phones and are into the user experience. I think they found a great partner in windows phone and I hope microsoft lets them go wild with their hardware.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I hope Nokia pulls through. My gut is telling me they will. They make great phones and are into the user experience. I think they found a great partner in windows phone and I hope microsoft lets them go wild with their hardware.

Oh they Nokia is going to coming out with some very fun stuff for WP8

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely not gonna fail. because there's so many features in it. with pureview comin out that's gonna take alot of attention

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is in a bind currently with the WP8 information but the Lumia line is still a great buy even with WP7.8 Nokia has enough cash on hand to survive the summer. When WP8 hits the market they will be ready we will see that high end camera on a wp8 device for sure. and perhaps even a decent tablet. Microsoft nor the Fin Gov. will allow Nokia to go belly up. Nokia placed all there eggs in the MS camp it's not going to happen. the smart money right now is to buy Nokia stock hold for mid range 12-24 months if all goes right with Win8 and WP8 and Win 8 Tablets they have a system that Apple and Google can't touch. we should see Nokia stock at $10-15 in 12-15 months down the road buying at $2.00 per share currently is one heck of a buy. Lets us take the worse case and say Nokia gets taken over the company value is much more than $2.00 per making that investment very profitable. Plus the Lumia line is still a great buy even with just WP7.8

A fancy camera will do nothing for there sales. There's no point in making a tablet because MS and everybody else is doing that. Only smart move is to take MS tablet and add phone guts to it. This is new and exciting, this is different and makes Nokia stand out from the crowd. MS isn't gonna be Nokia savior either, after HP/Palm hot mess I don't think anyone will try that again.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A fancy camera will do nothing for there sales. There's no point in making a tablet because MS and everybody else is doing that. Only smart move is to take MS tablet and add phone guts to it. This is new and exciting, this is different and makes Nokia stand out from the crowd. MS isn't gonna be Nokia savior either, after HP/Palm hot mess I don't think anyone will try that again.

Though I agree with some of what you say I must disagree with some. First off Microsoft has a major investment in Nokia, as Nokia has a major investment in Microsoft. To have the biggest player in WP fail would be devastating for WP. as we see Amazon and Firefox both wanting to hit the Mobile OS world with the third Mobile OS it seems to me that everyone is not talking about WP as being that. It's very important to both companies Nokia right now is in tough shape market wise. I don't think ,nor do I see this come this time next year. and yes having devices such as the new Lumia design sporting good camera specs is important as we move forward camera phones are now more popular for picture taking than on the go stand alone cameras for the general public. this trend is only going to grow. Plus with the added apps and sleek design colors and looks it's all tied into one. so it does matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa