Flattery or rip off of Surface?

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Why?

The idea, the innovation behind the covers of Surface is the keyboard they contain.

There are, for a long time already, all kinds of normal covers for tablets, without any additional functionality except "covering", in all kinds of colors, like these perfectly natural and boring Nexus covers you link to.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The idea, the innovation behind the covers of Surface is the keyboard they contain.

There are, for a long time already, all kinds of normal covers for tablets, without any additional functionality except "covering", in all kinds of colors, like these perfectly natural and boring Nexus covers you link to.

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of the keyboard behind Touch/Type Cover. Apparently, I'm the only one that finds it somewhat interesting that out of the an entire spectrum of colors, Asus decides to hone in on colors that are pretty similar to something familiar, or my point just flew way over your head.

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The colors themselves?

I see. You mean the colors that Microsoft chose for the Surface covers are in some way special as a color selection, and if now Asus has a very similar or even identical choice of colors for Nexus covers, they did not arrive at these color independently, but either ripped-off the surface colors or at least flatter them by imitation?

That observation really did fly way over my head, actually.

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't buy it. Companies have [URL="https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/ipad/ipad-accessories/cases-protection#mn_p]done it before[/URL], companies will [URL="https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/ipad/ipad-accessories/cases-protection#mn_p]continue to do it[/URL], but the original part of Microsoft's implementation is the specific keyboard tech. I don't even see the colours point you're making.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ya, if anything these look like the 1st gen iPad cases but in the smart cover colors. Maybe all these companies do colors similar because they do market research and they are the most popular. I don't see this as having anything to do with the surface. I'm sure these covers and colors were nearly finalized before the surface was even announced.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you guys are right; everyone's ripping off Apple.

ipad3-ipad2-case-smart-cover1.jpg

ipad2-smart-cover-03-02-2011.jpg

MSFT+Surface+w+Covers.jpg

396628_417379764972094_1664726394_n.jpg

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I still think that they aren't really copying apple. Nokia really started off the whole mobile customization craze with faceplates. I think that all these companies offer similar colors because market research has shown these are the colors people want. If surveys show people want blue, pink, black, white, green, and orange, companies aren't going to say, well company x already made covers that color so screw what people want, we are doing yellow, red, purple, and silver. They say, if these are the colors people will buy, these are the colors we will make.

For the record, I'm all about red cases and in the highly probable event of my buying a surface, red will be the color of my touch cover. A big thank you to Microsoft for choosing the often neglected color red.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers