Vanity Fair Article - Microsoft failing to innovate

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know where to post this, but I was listening to the radio yesterday and heard this story about Microsoft on NPR. Granted the company has its issues as my wife can attest; however, the story I felt was completely onesided and a hack job. The problems I have with it are:

1. Comparing stock price is the most amateur/sophmoric of metrics
  2. Apple is 1 innovation away from being obsoleted
  3. Google is even more unfocused than Microsoft, and they have only been able to monetize really 1 product

The downfall of innovation at Microsoft | Marketplace.org

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me, I haven't read the article. I won't give them the pleasure of a free click. But anyone saying Microsoft isn't innovative is a bit silly. I could see an argument being made that they're not as innovative in the consumer market as they should be and I don't think it's far fetched to say they went stagnate for a while. However, (IMO) Microsoft has never had a better lineup of products and services than what they have now. As Gizmodo put it, Microsoft is the most exciting company in tech. And you can agree or disagree, but MS has introduced some great stuff in the past few years with more in the pipeline.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
What happened to Microsoft? They were struck by an antitrust lawsuit in 1998 and the DOJ finally got off their back in 2002. 6 years after this, they're on the verge of becoming once again the company leading innovation in the industry while Apple is trying to keep its status with lawsuits.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Good Lord, Microsoft has become A LOT more innovative in the last 5 years or so than it was prior to that. I'd say Microsoft is at least as innovative right now as Apple (and I do think Apple is still quite innovative, though whether that will change in the long-term remains to be seen). Both Microsoft and Apple are presently A LOT more innovative than Google IMO.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously disconcerted by how a lot of those tech writers seem to be COMPLETELY clueless. I don't work in tech or spend my life reading tech blogs but it seems I know more about the subject than at least 50% of these guys whose SPECIALTY is to know those things... Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously disconcerted by how a lot of those tech writers seem to be COMPLETELY clueless. I don't work in tech or spend my life reading tech blogs but it seems I know more about the subject than at least 50% of these guys whose SPECIALTY is to know those things... Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
I wouldn't consider "Vanity Fair" writers to be tech writers. "Vanity Fair" is a gossip / celebrity site like People or TMZ.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I read the article just to kill some time here at work. My problem with the article is that it really wasn't a lack of innovation, but a lack of recognizing and moving forward with innovation and definitely a lack of vision. The thing is, that is NOT a problem at Microsoft right now and the article makes it seem as if the company didn't learn its lessons.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
funny part is that MS IS probabaly the biggest Inovators at the moment... maybe nto int he past .. but 2011-2012 100% goes to MS for inovation...

Smart glasses, holograms, Metro UI (live tiles) and they will be the first to have a COMPLETE viable ecosystem etc...

that article would have been PERFECT and DEAD ON 2-3years ago... lag much?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Ya'll have no idea what Vanity Fair is, do you? See, for example, VF's excellent investigative reporting on Mitt Romney's tax evasion. Investigation: Mitt Romney
Vanity Fair is absolutely nothing like TMZ or other gossip rags. It's more in the New Yorker (but not quite) category.

That being said, I think this article is off-base. The problem isn't that Microsoft hasn't innovated. The problem is that they've been dismal at selling their innovations.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Vanity fair is what the DU dumb users read to get an insight of things. IF Vanity fair had nothing but positive things to say about Microsoft products you can expect more people to buy into it.

From a tech stand point I know its stupid but you have to break those walls to get your brand out to the mainstream.

Maybe they are an Apple investor or nobody really took the time to show them how to use Windows

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
omg do your self's a fav and dont read the comments , i got a head ake after the first line...

things liek MS in the 1990's... how can you compare a company to what it was 22years ago?

with that logic . APPLE suck cause int he 90's apple almost closed their doors.. they must suck...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon