Purchase Lumia 900 now? Advice please.

RosscoPeecho

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I've got a friend who wants to spend very little on a cell phone but also wants a quality one. I love Windows Phone and recommended it but I can't fully condone the purchase of an AT&T Lumia 900, albeit for only a cent, if WP8 comes out in only a few months. The problem lies with the fact that she doesn't want to spend much money at all and if she waits till then, she'll probably be waiting even longer for prices to lower.

The only other option in her head is the iPhone 3s or whatever is available there for only 99 cents or something. She said she doesn't care much about the problem of there being an update and her only getting 7.8 but as a tech guy myself it's hard to full back the decision. It is only a 1 cent tho.

She wants a good camera and just wants to play music, those are her main concerns I think. Focus 2 doesn't have a good enough camera but it is smaller which is nice. I just wish the Lumia 800 was available.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend has a Focus 2 and I'm jealous of her, and I own the 900. That thing takes much better pictures than the 900, in my playing around with it.

There's always a Titan 2 for camera use, but I'm not sure where you would find it cheap. I still think the Focus 2 would do her well!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Today Nokia reiterated their commitment to the Lumia 900. They seem pretty determined to make the best out of a bad situation. But if she doesn't care about the 7.8/8 debacle then ask her if the 900 currently does everything she wants her smartphone to do. If it does then go for it.

The 900 doesn't have the best camera out of all the Windows Phones but it's better than the 3GS. Plus, Nokia easily has the best ecosystem out of all of the WP OEMs. Free voice guided turn-by-turn alone is killer. The other exclusive apps are just icing on the cake.

RosscoPeecho

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they'd come out saying they wouldn't support their device, I mean, they still want to sell more devices right now.

I don't think she'd be too concerened if she wasn't able to do a bunch of stuff when 8 comes out and it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for a set of good phones to not only be released but for carriers to even pick up the phones which seems a problem with companies like Verizon and Sprint.

Does anyone have a good comparison to what 7.8 will be missing when compared to 8. I know IE10 won't be available and HTML5 won't be support and also some apps and games will need to new dual core processors but is there a good fact sheet. I'm leaving towards to idea that she'd be fine getting the 900.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but anyone buying a WP7 device at this point needs their head examined; tech savi or not.

It might be "just" a cent, but its also getting locked into a long contract with a phone. Does she really want to be paying $40-60 (or whatever insanity price) per month for a phone; albeit new, that will be out of date by the end of the year?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but anyone buying a WP7 device at this point needs their head examined; tech savi or not.

It might be "just" a cent, but its also getting locked into a long contract with a phone. Does she really want to be paying $40-60 (or whatever insanity price) per month for a phone; albeit new, that will be out of date by the end of the year?

Why is that? If you're not tech savy, you'll buy the phone for what it can do now - not what it may or may not be able to do in the future. I knew full well about WP8 and and got an 800 anyways. If I want to upgrade in the future I will. It's really that simple.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Oh, calm down.

My stepmother loves having a smartphone, and while she's eligible for an upgrade, she has yet to switch to a Droid Razr from her old Droid X. She has no idea what Ice Cream Sandwich is.

By your mentality, 90%+ of the Android userbase is using an out of date phone. Yet, generally, most of them are fine with it. Keep in mind this is an enthusiast site, so most of us on here want the latest and greatest, but as per the OP's description, this girl isn't one of us. Based on what she requires (a good camera and music playback), a WP now is more than capable of fulfilling her needs.

I have a 900 now, and once WP8 hits, it isn't going to spontaneously combust.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh, calm down.

My stepmother loves having a smartphone, and while she's eligible for an upgrade, she has yet to switch to a Droid Razr from her old Droid X. She has no idea what Ice Cream Sandwich is.

By your mentality, 90%+ of the Android userbase is using an out of date phone. Yet, generally, most of them are fine with it. Keep in mind this is an enthusiast site, so most of us on here want the latest and greatest, but as per the OP's description, this girl isn't one of us. Based on what she requires (a good camera and music playback), a WP now is more than capable of fulfilling her needs.

I have a 900 now, and once WP8 hits, it isn't going to spontaneously combust.

The problem with your argument is that Android (even in Gingerbread form) does not have any of the many limitations that WP7 has. So buying a Lumia 900 right now is a stupid idea and anybody with a clear understanding of the topic knows this. So lay away the ****** pipe for a second and let's be real. Either wait for a WP8 device or get an iPhone or one of the great Android devices that are available now.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The problem with your argument is that Android (even in Gingerbread form) does not have any of the many limitations that WP7 has. So buying a Lumia 900 right now is a stupid idea and anybody with a clear understanding of the topic knows this. So lay away the ****** pipe for a second and let's be real. Either wait for a WP8 device or get an iPhone or one of the great Android devices that are available now.

That reply was more childish than the one you're complaining about.

Here's a crazy idea...

The OP asked a question,

How about answering the question without acting like gigantic children?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
if shes likes the way it looks and feels..
if its cheap, if it does every thing she needs

then id say yes , go for it!!!

waiting for WP8 will have ZERO benefit for her because she wont want to pay the 100$+ for a WP8 phone if shes really looking for a cheap price.

So buying a Lumia 900 right now is a stupid idea and anybody with a clear understanding of the topic knows this

well most people dont have a understand cause they dont care. you obviously dont work in cellphones. calling some one stupid for wanting a WP7.5 is just ignorant. your ignorant of assuming every one is like you and want what you want when in reality the people that really do care make up 20% of WP potential and actual users.

not to mention you dont even use a WP any more and I have no problems with you posting here , but with all do respect calling people fan boys and stupid and giving advice on a OS you dont even use.... :dry why dont you just go to your mobile nation's site and give advice there...

http://www.androidcentral.com/?utm_...topbar&utm_campaign=mobilenations&utm_term=wp
http://www.imore.com/?utm_source=topbar&utm_medium=topbar&utm_campaign=mobilenations&utm_term=wp
http://crackberry.com/?utm_source=topbar&utm_medium=topbar&utm_campaign=mobilenations&utm_term=wp

Last edited:

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Why is nobody really listening to what SHE wants? All she wants is a quality phone that does a few basic features and couldn't care about much else. The price for the Lumia 900 was just lowered to $49. This phone does everything she wants and needs at a price that can't be beat.

My wife is still using her first gen WP7 and couldn't be happier, my son is using a first gen Focus with mango and has no desire to upgrade or get a new phone. I believe they are representative of most customers and that those of us that are "very tech aware" are just a small segment.

When a question is asked it should be answered without everyone using it as a platform for arguing their personal feelings and issues.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've got a friend who wants to spend very little on a cell phone but also wants a quality one. I love Windows Phone and recommended it but I can't fully condone the purchase of an AT&T Lumia 900, albeit for only a cent, if WP8 comes out in only a few months. The problem lies with the fact that she doesn't want to spend much money at all and if she waits till then, she'll probably be waiting even longer for prices to lower.

The only other option in her head is the iPhone 3s or whatever is available there for only 99 cents or something. She said she doesn't care much about the problem of there being an update and her only getting 7.8 but as a tech guy myself it's hard to full back the decision. It is only a 1 cent tho.

She wants a good camera and just wants to play music, those are her main concerns I think. Focus 2 doesn't have a good enough camera but it is smaller which is nice. I just wish the Lumia 800 was available.

Anyone have any suggestions?

My suggestion is that you recommend what is truly best for HER, rather than letting what you like influence the decision.

In that situation, I would recommend she get the iPhone probably. The iPhone's (even the 3S) going to take better pictures, and not to be sexist, but most females will probably find the iPhone fits much easier into a small hand or a purse than a big honking rectangular Lumia 900.

You could take her to a store and have her try out both. I wouldn't try and steer her towards the Windows Phone unless she REALLY like the OS much better than the iPhone all on her own and explain the limitations to her. Pros and cons either way etc.

If she really wants a Windows Phone, and she wants to spend very little on it, the best recommendation I can give would be a Lumia 710 on a T-Mobile Monthly 4G plan. It's a smaller, curvier phone that will probably be more comfortable for her to use and carry. While she can't get it for 1 cent, it's still pretty cheap ($200 I think, with NO contract, and there are deals out there all the time on it) and more importantly, she can have a no-contract plan that will cost about 30-40% less than an AT&T plan. It will be far cheaper over the long term than the Lumia 900 on AT&T. In fact, I sometimes regret I didn't go that route, which was my original plan.

That 1 cent for the phone won't seem like that great of a deal after she's paid a few of those $118 AT&T phone bills. :dry

RosscoPeecho

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
She's on AT&T and her parents help ther our with the payments still so that's not really an issues. This is basically between the Lumia 900 for 1 cent on a two-year contract or an iPhone 3GS for 99 cents on a 2 year contract. She wants to take good pictures, listen to music, and probably wants to do certain simple tasks like watch youtube videos and would like to use things like Spotify and stuff. All of those things can be done on a WP (albeit Spotify kind of sucks).

I'm seriously not trying to put my bias in and if I had she would have already gotten the Lumia but I can't quite condone the purchase if I wouldn't do it myself cuz of 8 coming out but once again I don't think she cares much about that. I hate Android phones, the OS seems find because everyone seems to think so but I can't seem to want to recommend it.

I honestly don't think she'd be disappointed with either but is a 2 generation old iPhone better than a soon-to-be outdated Lumia? Don't forget, the 3Gs doesn't support LTE. Only option is AT&T phones by the way.

Last edited:

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Why is it only between those two phones? Neither one takes good pictures. The Focus Flash is only 99 cents (or free) and it takes much better pictures. The Focus 2 can be found for free at certain retailers and it takes better pictures too. And if Android is her thing, she can try the HTC Vivid - it's on ICS and has LTE and takes decent photos (well, better than the Lumia and iPhone 3GS).

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I am very happy with my lumia 800 but I could not recommend anyone get a lumia 900 or indeed any other 7.x phone

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Today Nokia reiterated their commitment to the Lumia 900. They seem pretty determined to make the best out of a bad situation. But if she doesn't care about the 7.8/8 debacle then ask her if the 900 currently does everything she wants her smartphone to do. If it does then go for it.

The 900 doesn't have the best camera out of all the Windows Phones but it's better than the 3GS. Plus, Nokia easily has the best ecosystem out of all of the WP OEMs. Free voice guided turn-by-turn alone is killer. The other exclusive apps are just icing on the cake.
Camera Extra makes up to those that doesn't know how to use the camera settings.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Take her to an AT&T store and let her take some pictures. If you want to stack the deck, change a few of the recommended settings first: Exposure = -1.0, ISO = 200, Focus Mode = Macro. Let her decide.

If it's between a 3G and an L900, I would go with the latter. At the very least WP7.8 will offer more than the limited functionality (for the 3G) of the iOS update that will be pushed down to the 3G. And today, the L900 is a better phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

dmenglert

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It would seem that the Lumia would meet her needs (the camera is debatable), but if she likes it maybe you tell her that WP8 is coming and explain what she won't have access to, if she cares she should wait if she doesn't then go for it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The 900 is not known for it's camera. That is the only hard part here. In no way is the 3GS better than the 900.... except in the camera department.

But, I just can't see recommending the 3GS over the 900 even knowing that. If it was the iPhone 4, maybe. But the 3GS is just too underpowered, and the updates coming to it actually bog it down and make it's performance choppy.

The 900 is a better option. Just not a better camera.

By the way- the Focus Flash is also an option (as you ruled out the Focus 2). I looked at some of the photos taken on their threads, and they look pretty nice....

http://forums.windowscentral.com/focus-flash-4g-omnia-w/183203.htm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb