WP8 & MS Office Alignment & Functions

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I am setting this thread up so that when the particulars of WP8 are revealed people can post them here, with respect to alignment with Outlook fields and functions of Excel and Word and the ability to sync locally without using the clouds.

For me these are game changers and to make a phone or phablet closer in ability and exchangeability to and with laptop and desktop Windows. That would be all I need to switch to WP8. WP7.5 is not phone OS that will attract business users. There is no reason not to have the business and social users looking at the same phone.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Just keeping this thread within sight as so many are interested in a phone that doesn't need Documents To Go and syncs perfectly without cross linking fields that can ultimate create double the number of contacts.

When a bread winning parent gets a WP8 Phone because it syncs so beautifully to MS Office, his/her spouse might get the same platform and so might their kids. So, one phone can automatically sell 4. Then there are family and friends. Why not take advantage of something you own, that nobody else can claim, as well as doing all the other stuff, which has strong competition from Android and IOS. If there is an area that can bring a big advantage, take it!

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft isn't interested in local sync (except as a legacy feature) - none of the OSes are - your computer is simply another conduit. That is not to say that third parties will not provide work around but that it is not a priority in any sense for the company.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft isn't interested in local sync (except as a legacy feature) - none of the OSes are - your computer is simply another conduit. That is not to say that third parties will not provide work around but that it is not a priority in any sense for the company.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I don't understand why. So, you?re saying I have to put all my 4,000 contacts, from my laptop or desktop, with all their information, into the Cloud. So first can I assume that every single field that exists in my Outlook 2010 is in the database on the Cloud or do I have to do cross linking or mapping for those not in the Cloud. Then whenever I try to sync, the laptop and the Cloud and the Phone and the Cloud may be 1,400 differences that I have to go through because I put Spouses Name in many of my contacts, especially those related to reunion activities but sometimes business too. Maybe the link and sync on the Cloud is better than what you can get doing a local sync the way we used to do it in WM6.

Then the other issue is privacy. There can be lots of very personal information on these contacts, like SS #s, bank account #s, birthdays, credit card # etc. It's happened a little too often that I have gone online and I get the warning that an entities database has been compromised and then they give all the things you need to do. How do we know how safe the Cloud is. What if by compromising another database hackers or criminals figure out my Cloud sign-in information? Or what if they just crack the Cloud's sign in info and get everyone's PW etc?

Why must all this information go out there? What are the great benefits if you aren't sharing contacts and calendars etc. We know what the pitfalls are and they are devastating.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The "why" is very straightforward, the companies involved either want to use your details to sell ads or sell you a subcription or a mix of the two.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
How do we know how safe a desktop computer is? If a hacker wants to get access to something they will get access to it, no matter how its stored.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
How do we know how safe a desktop computer is? If a hacker wants to get access to something they will get access to it, no matter how its stored.

I was on the phone with Blackberry yesterday for 6 hours. My phone had water damage that dried up and I don't want to buy one yet until i see the Note 2 and the next big WP8 Phone and O/S. All my backups are through Blackberry Desktop Software and it all stays in my office. It was a pleasure using that software as everything on the phone is in there. Many people buy BB because of that. Not kids who love games but business people with huge contact lists. Mine is over 4,000. Could a hacker get it, sure but he has to come to me and all 4 million users separately and who is going to do that.

That could be MS natural market and BB customers are ripe for the picking.

Anyway, any new info on the (Organizer) MS Office part of WP8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon