It's too late.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
....for Windows Phone. Why do I say this? I've come to the conclusion that we are no longer living in an era where the best product wins. We are now in an era where to win you have to be first or bring something radically new to the table. With the Windows 8 SDK leaks I have yet to see anything that is radically new or different from the other OSs. It's a "me too" product. The majority of the world has already adopted iOS or Android. It would take something really new and innovative to make most of those users switch to Windows Phone. Case in point, the Zune HD. IMO it's a far better PMP than the iPod but it couldn't even put a dent in its market share. Case in point, the Xbox 360. What it did new and different is established an easy way to play on-line games with your friends. It was far superior than what Sony was offering at the time. You need a killer feature to make people want your product and Live Tiles aren't it... I love Windows Phone but I'm afraid it's over. I plan to ride it out until the end or until it wins. But in the end I fear it's going to go the way of the Zune unless there is some killer feature we have yet to hear about.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
this didn't deserve a new topic nor are your opinions provided with facts. That's fine that you feel that way, but someone with a stronger opposing opinion could make an even longer rant and why it's not too late

Oh and btw, the Xbox 360 has outsold the ps3

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
yiIBC.gif

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah WP is far from dead , and is actually growing in popularity.. Stocks/market shares our UP!

and MS has the best Innovation so far int he last year or 2 ... Apple , Google, RIM et.c have brought NOTHING new to the table int he last 2-3 years!!!! (aside from hardware)

MS will have the best Eco system with W8/WP8 etc... and its A GREAT and easy to use smooth device ( hence why its growing in popularity )

giveadam.gif

Last edited:

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
this didn't deserve a new topic nor are your opinions provided with facts. That's fine that you feel that way, but someone with a stronger opposing opinion could make an even longer rant and why it's not too late

Oh and btw, the Xbox 360 has outsold the ps3

Yes, because it was released 1 year (1,5 years in Europe) before the PS3. But since they are both available in the market, PS3 sold more (when PS3 came to the market the 360 had sold about 6 million units, nowadays the difference between them is only 2 millions).

But regarding the topic, being the first in the market isn't the more important. This PS3vs360 is an example of that and iPhone-Android is another example. iPhone arrived first, but nowadays Android is on top.

Now, I agree when it's said that bringing something new to the table is important. At the moment I also think that WP8 has many great features but most of them are also in the other OSs and that's going to be a problem. So far, the only thing that will be a lot better in Windows Phones than in the other OSs is PureView, but not all WP devices will have that, only Nokia's.

I really think that Nokia is probably going to make an average specs Windows Phone with an outstanding PureView camara.
Samsung and HTC will make Windows Phones with great specs but only average/poor cameras.
You know what? THIS SUCKS!
If Windows Phone wants to be a major OS it has to have phones with the best specs in the market, the best camara in the market and the best app store in the market. If the final cost of the best model is ?700, then let it be ?700. If it is the best people will buy it anyway. There are many people out there with iPhones and Galaxy SIII and we all know the prices of those phones.

Other thing. Because of the similarities to WP7.5, WP8 will never become a success by its own. It will need to have the support of W8. Only when people start buying W8 PCs and start getting used the new OS, they might start thinking "oh, I could have a phone that works just like my PC". That can be the trigger.

Lets see.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
So MS should pack up and go home? If that was the case the 360 would have died off after a year. the "me too" aspect was holding some people back from WP. Now that WP8 will get the "me too" factor down by adding the kitchen sink people who were on the fence or loved the phone but not the lack off this-and-that will finally decide to come to WP8.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Friendster and MySpace were first before Facebook. Before that, commodore and tandy were the big PC builders. In the technology industry, being first is hardly a deciding factor, imo.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Well....
HD-DVD was a more advanced/complete format compared to blu-ray when they were released. HD-DVD was even out a few months before blu-ray was.

Money talks, and Microsoft has it.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well....
HD-DVD was a more advanced/complete format compared to blu-ray when they were released. HD-DVD was even out a few months before blu-ray was.

Yes, but please don't forget that Microsoft doesn't always win.
In that Blu-Ray VS HD-DVD case, Microsoft was actually backing up the HD-DVD and they still lost that battle.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
In that Blu-Ray VS HD-DVD case, Microsoft was actually backing up the HD-DVD and they still lost that battle.

Right, but they really didn't care that much about it, as in, they didn't do much to promote HD-DVD at all. (Not trying to bring up an old debate)

With WP's, it appears they do care.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how WP8 is a me too OS and how they are allegedly "too late".

Tiles are different than any other OS and are getting improvements.

The core to WP8 is based on or using the desktop OS core.

8 still has better FB integration, you don't even need the stand alone FB app.

Still the only mobile OS that is tightly integrated with Xbox live... Yeah other OS' have/will have smart glass and the companion app, but only WP has XBL gaming.

As I have begun learning to build WP7 apps, I am really starting to dig the design elements/choices MS made with WP. I'm getting more and more impatient with waiting for a WP8 device.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

to be honest, other than sticking their name in there MS kind of caused the death of HD-DVD in not including it with the XBox, but thats just business i guess... (i was rooting for HD-DVD back then :( )

speaking of which, i see alot of excitement among ppl for win8 and in turn wp8 too, it's too early to call, but i think we are definitely going to be in for a big year next year (heck my android frenzied friends are actually excited for the surface, one reason why OEMs need a slap in the face)

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Right, but they really didn't care that much about it, as in, they didn't do much to promote HD-DVD at all. (Not trying to bring up an old debate)

With WP's, it appears they do care.

I certainly hope they do care this time!

I don't see how WP8 is a me too OS and how they are allegedly "too late".

Tiles are different than any other OS and are getting improvements.

The core to WP8 is based on or using the desktop OS core.

8 still has better FB integration, you don't even need the stand alone FB app.

Still the only mobile OS that is tightly integrated with Xbox live... Yeah other OS' have/will have smart glass and the companion app, but only WP has XBL gaming.

As I have begun learning to build WP7 apps, I am really starting to dig the design elements/choices MS made with WP. I'm getting more and more impatient with waiting for a WP8 device.

I think slowtext means that WP8 can be different but it isn't revolutionary. It does what the other OSs do but on its own way.

speaking of which, i see alot of excitement among ppl for win8 and in turn wp8 too, it's too early to call, but i think we are definitely going to be in for a big year next year (heck my android frenzied friends are actually excited for the surface, one reason why OEMs need a slap in the face)

When it comes to tablets Android is a toy compared to W8.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
This sounds like the loads on anti-MS articles on the verge,ZDNet and Cnet. I certainly don't want to come to WPCentral and have to read this.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely interested in seeing what WP8 has to offer. I refuse to buy another Apple product based on my loathing of their business practices and even though I'm currently using a Galaxy Nexus, it still has lag and crashes. I want an OS that is reliable and smooth. While WP7 was a great start, WP8 will be a much better overall package. I think that we'll have a lot more apps available due to the OS sharing its kernel with Windows 8. WP7 was an extremely smooth running OS and I'm sure that a lot of the gripes that people had will be addressed. I definitely wouldn't count WP8 out.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well....

Good point. The difference here is that Android and iOS are established and it will take a lot of money to convince a company like Samsung to drop Android and go exclusive with Windows Phone. That's what Warner Brothers did taking a big fat check from Sony to not supporting HD-DVD. It's a good point but the scenario is a little different. For the record I was on the HD-DVD camp. And when HD-DVD lost I decided not to buy any more movies. I'm strictly digital. :)

And for the record I'm not a Microsoft hater. I have bought 3 Zunes (orginal, squircle, and HD), original Xbox, Xbox 360, two Windows 7 PCs, and 3 Windows Phones (2 for me, one for my wife.) I support Microsoft. But I feel the world is moving towards Apple/Google. I just wish Microsoft would do something revolutionary as apposed to evolutionary.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Metro is revolutionary. It's not just a pretty skin. It's a completely different philosophy on how to present and handle mobile ecosystems.

We now have an OS that is task centric as opposed to app centric.

It will take time for people to grasp that I guess. They've been trained to measure everything by Apple's standards and don't really think outside of the box.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I have access to any phone in Verizon's line up and still have a Trophy. There has to be something innovative or different here. No way the Trophy is a "me too" device. If it was I would have a S3 or something at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos