It's too late.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Face2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
thecaringkind made an excellent post. I am in the same boat while wp fits my personal needs my wife was another story. We picked up the surround back in Dec 2010 and while I had heard of wp7 my wife had no clue she just wanted an ipone 4. Well it turns out the where fresh out so I said let take a look at windows phone 7. She liked what she saw and it helped that they where on a bogo so she decided to try it out and over the next year and a half fell in love with the OS.(That was a good thing she liked it otherwise I would have not heard the end of it) She now owns a Lumia 900 and could care less about an iphone anymore. I on the other hand will be getting a wp8 device this fall. My point is wp need what Android and IOS got at the begining carries to push there products OEM to make compelling hard ware and a smoth OS to keep the consumer interested so no it is not to late not by a long shot.:D

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
thecaringkind made an excellent post. I am in the same boat while wp fits my personal needs my wife was another story. We picked up the surround back in Dec 2010 and while I had heard of wp7 my wife had no clue she just wanted an ipone 4. Well it turns out the where fresh out so I said let take a look at windows phone 7. She liked what she saw and it helped that they where on a bogo so she decided to try it out and over the next year and a half fell in love with the OS.(That was a good thing she liked it otherwise I would have not heard the end of it) She now owns a Lumia 900 and could care less about an iphone anymore. I on the other hand will be getting a wp8 device this fall. My point is wp need what Android and IOS got at the begining carries to push there products OEM to make compelling hard ware and a smoth OS to keep the consumer interested so no it is not to late not by a long shot.:D

I agree with you. Wp is not late. Firefox os. Is what I call late. Also ur wife must be very happy with her lumia 900. My friend has a Samsung omnia W and she loves it.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
So what is so unique with WP? Sure, the social media integration is a good idea, but if you use Facebook or Twitter you still have to use the "third party"-apps for most tasks. Two interfaces for the same service is IMHO not innovative.

This is so true.
MS need to decide, no, they need to realize what they have going and follow through... if they want something integrated then fully integrate it with all features, otherwise its useless.
The native integration for facebook is awesome and all of my friends who has seen it loves it and the fact that its there by default. But when you have to use the app for full features the integration suddenly doesnt matter anymore, most people will get confused.
I often have to launch the app from the people hub because it lacks features, schizoprenia. Why not only use the app? Well the people hub is faster and looks better imo.

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
This is so true.
MS need to decide, no, they need to realize what they have going and follow through... if they want something integrated then fully integrate it with all features, otherwise its useless.
The native integration for facebook is awesome and all of my friends who has seen it loves it and the fact that its there by default. But when you have to use the app for full features the integration suddenly doesnt matter anymore, most people will get confused.
I often have to launch the app from the people hub because it lacks features, schizoprenia. Why not only use the app? Well the people hub is faster and looks better imo.

It's more than what other OSes have as it is,plus not even the apps have all the Facebook features. The point of it is to quickly do what most people do on Facebook then get out.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It's more than what other OSes have as it is,plus not even the apps have all the Facebook features. The point of it is to quickly do what most people do on Facebook then get out.

That's exactly the problem: What if you want to do something, but simply can't?

Want to send an offline message? Nope, you can't!
Want to check your Facebook messages? Nope, you can't!
Want to post a picture on somebody's wall? Nope, you can't!
Want to check out the secret group you are a part of? Nope, you can't!*

And I could go on... There is simply too much you can't do, to the point where the whole integration becomes moot. And also, most Android skins already have some sort of social integration built in. With iOS 6 now coming, the whole advantage for WP will be lost.

* That's another issue, Facebook has added so much stuff since WP was conceived, but none of that has made it back to WP. So now you won't even see all notifications in the Me tile, simply because WP does not recognize it.

It's so ridiculous and broken that it's becoming more of an obstacle than an advantage. What's the point of checking the Me tile when you KNOW that you will miss stuff there?

Example: When I check my Facebook notifications on the site, I can see 6 notifications for today. The Me tile shows me 1. My WP phone has no idea there are 5 other notifications that happened in a secret group, so it will show me nothing. Nada. It's useless.

So I never ever use the Me tile now, because from a User experience perspective it's simply broken.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. My guess is there are maybe 25M Facebook Power Users, and then 200-300M casual users like me (the rest never look at FB after registering). The integration serves about 80-90% of my FB needs. Adding too much integration would mostly confuse users with xtra icons, switches, etc. Remember this is WP, not a FB phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. My guess is there are maybe 25M Facebook Power Users, and then 200-300M casual users like me (the rest never look at FB after registering). The integration serves about 80-90% of my FB needs. Adding too much integration would mostly confuse users with xtra icons, switches, etc. Remember this is WP, not a FB phone.

"The problem with online statistics is that 78% of them are made up." - Abraham Lincoln

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Boom! There it is

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
That's exactly the problem: What if you want to do something, but simply can't?

Want to send an offline message? Nope, you can't!
Want to check your Facebook messages? Nope, you can't!
Want to post a picture on somebody's wall? Nope, you can't!
Want to check out the secret group you are a part of? Nope, you can't!*

And I could go on... There is simply too much you can't do, to the point where the whole integration becomes moot. And also, most Android skins already have some sort of social integration built in. With iOS 6 now coming, the whole advantage for WP will be lost.

* That's another issue, Facebook has added so much stuff since WP was conceived, but none of that has made it back to WP. So now you won't even see all notifications in the Me tile, simply because WP does not recognize it.

It's so ridiculous and broken that it's becoming more of an obstacle than an advantage. What's the point of checking the Me tile when you KNOW that you will miss stuff there?

Example: When I check my Facebook notifications on the site, I can see 6 notifications for today. The Me tile shows me 1. My WP phone has no idea there are 5 other notifications that happened in a secret group, so it will show me nothing. Nada. It's useless.

So I never ever use the Me tile now, because from a User experience perspective it's simply broken.

I can send and receive offline messages just fine, I can also see some posts of the groups I'm part of in the people hub. The fact that it doesn't recognize and show all notifications is a good thing. I don't want to know that I'm being invited to Farmville or any other stupid apps they have on my Me tile.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I can send and receive offline messages just fine, I can also see some posts of the groups I'm part of in the people hub. The fact that it doesn't recognize and show all notifications is a good thing. I don't want to know that I'm being invited to Farmville or any other stupid apps they have on my Me tile.

No you can't receive offline messages (offline sending seems to work again for now, but is unreliable) and I wasn't talking about spam invites and all that stuff, I was talking about regular, valid notifications.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
No you can't receive offline messages (offline sending seems to work again for now, but is unreliable) and I wasn't talking about spam invites and all that stuff, I was talking about regular, valid notifications.

Yes I can, it works for me. I receive regular notifications fine too. The notifications are pushed through windows live/outlook, WP has little to do with that.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes I can, it works for me. I receive regular notifications fine too. The notifications are pushed through windows live/outlook, WP has little to do with that.

It's pointless to discuss anything with you, because you do not listen to what I'm actually saying and you just keep repeating the same nonsense over and over again.

Why do you think you need to downplay the negatives of the WP platform? They clearly exist, everybody can see them but in your blind ****** love you have decided to look the other way and make excuses for them. In what world does that help anybody in any way?

You can't receive offline messages. There is no Facebook inbox support in WP. That's a fact. There is no way how to spin this. The same with the notifications. I gave you a clear, definite example which proper and valid notifications are missing. And you keep coming up with answers that are unrelated and irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb