Verizon Tethering

jdelroyc

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed some articles posted on various websites today which state that Verizon must now allow its customers to tether devices with apps without paying a $20 fee to Verizon. Specifically, Android apps are mentioned. My question is can I take advantage of free tethering with my HTC Trophy?

I know that the 7.5 Refresh adds the functionality, but I haven't seen a tethering app in the marketplace which would allow me to circumvent Verizon directly.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read, this technically only applies to LTE data. It's somehow related to the terms that they agreed to a while back when they purchased the spectrum from the government. But I think tethering is already free for the new shared data plans.

What I'm interested in knowing is that now that we're finally getting tethering on the Trophy, will people on unlimited data have to pay for tethering?

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

scottd34

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, youll have to get a $20 grandfathered tethering plan if you are on a grandfathered data plan. If you take a metered plan with hotspot or the share everything then its built in.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, youll have to get a $20 grandfathered tethering plan if you are on a grandfathered data plan. If you take a metered plan with hotspot or the share everything then its built in.
I've never used tethering on a phone before, so thanks, that helps. But how exactly do they handle it? Can they detect you tethering and then add the charge onto your bill automatically? Or is tethering completely disabled until you add it to your plan?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro