Hi, does anyone know of any way that I can have podcasts auto download on the phone? (without connecting it to my PC)

I'm in the UK, so don't have access to the podcast marketplace, and the tango update has removed the "subscribe" functionality. (why on Earth would Microsoft do this? Removing functionality with an update?!)

None of the apps I have found auto download podcast content, they all require you to manually start episode downloads.

Please tell me there is a way to do this? This is basic smartphone functionality and the idea that I can't do it because I dont live in the US is ridiculous.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    08-05-2012 04:39 PM
    It seems its as I feared, yet another piece if basic functionality that isn't available in WP.
    I think I'll go back to my Pre3. WebOS may not have the same selection of apps, but at least it does all the basic stuff I need it to do.

08-08-2012 07:03 AM
    They've removed the Subscribe button in Tango??? WTF!!

I'm in the UK, but thanks to useless T-Mobile I haven't gotten Tango yet, or any update yet this year. I use the Subscribe button to get podcasts to download automatically, though I do have to sync one episode over from Zune first to be able to start the process on the phone.

Maybe I should stop hassling useless T-Mobile to get an update out... :(
    08-09-2012 07:56 AM
    Yes, they have. My guess is that it was never really meant to be there in Mango, and MS have "corrected the error" in tango.
    But whatever the reason, its a pain in the *** and someone in MS needs to be shot for having no idea how badly their decisions affect their customers.

08-09-2012 10:45 AM
    Jeez... absolutely clueless. So they have broken one of the features of the phone I use daily - I have to go back to syncing with Zune every morning? Even Symbian was better than this.
    08-09-2012 10:56 AM
    Yep...thats why I'm considering going back to my pre3. Lacking in apps, but all the basics are there. The only reason I haven't dropped the lumia already is the lack of a decent evernote app on the Pre3. Decisions decisions.

I really can't believe that in 2012 I either have to connect my phone to my pc to download podcasts, or load an app and manually tell it to download them. Especially when I know that if I happened to live in the US, this would just work.

So, Microsoft.... How do you expect to gain the market share you want, when you actually make a concerted effort to remove functionality that your users were already relying on?

This is exactly the type if thing that makes people buy iPhone and android. Yes, i like the WP UI, yes the lumia 800 is a lovely piece of hardware. But if you're going to stop me doing the basics I expect from a smartphone, then what is the point?

08-10-2012 06:19 AM
    I really can't believe that in 2012 I either have to connect my phone to my pc to download podcasts, or load an app and manually tell it to download them. Especially when I know that if I happened to live in the US, this would just work.
    Yep, absolutely agree. I hate connecting my phone to the PC. If I wanted that kind of retro experience I'd buy a Blackberry or something.
    08-10-2012 04:45 PM
    Exact same situation for me as well, in Sweden. It blows my mind how poorly Microsoft supports their **** in the rest of the world. Especially considering the fact that this particular feature worked perfectly fine pre-tango.

I asked Nokia support about this some while ago also, and they weren't even aware of the fact that it had been removed either.

08-10-2012 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD