Possible Windows Phone 8 Start Screen Improvement(s)

SCOOBY_666UK

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I really like the NEW WP8 Start Screen that Microsoft revealed in June. I definitely think it's an improvement over the current one, but not the best it can be. Some of the main complaints are:

It looks too busy
It looks to cluttered
It looks un-organised
We need MORE + CUSTOM backgrounds
We need HUBS
We need GROUPS
We want LANDSCAPE View

I have created two quick mock-ups (Portrait & Landscape), that show the Grouping Feature, that I think fits in with the design language. I think this along with Windows 8 Semantic Zoom would make organising/de-cluttering/renaming groups much easier.

This would enable people that prefer a better organised/ less busier looking screen to manage it more effectively.

(Please see attachments for the mock-ups).

Hopefully Microsoft takes note and gives us something similar.

SCOOBY_666UK

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I think removing the gutter/negative space on the right, will now easily allow the implementation of the landscape view.

The mock-ups are best saved and viewed on the phone :)

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of groups on start screen. Nice mockups. I don't think I'd use landscape mode, but as long as they don't forgot to include orientation lock, that sounds good as well.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the titles really don't work in horizontal view. A space between groups could work but the titles are just an eyesore. I like the vertical one though; it reminds of W8 in a good way.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The problem is the four small tiles occupying the area beside the one regular size tile. Makes it look very messy. By comparission if you have a row of four small tiles then two regular tiles underneath it looks a great deal more tidy.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
to each his own I like both and have no problem with lanscape hopefully they would switch when the oreintation changes.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why people can argue it looks messy and unorganized. The whole point is that you can make the start screen exactly like you want it so if you don't like the start screen, it's your own fault alone for not fixing it correctly for your own needs.

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why people can argue it looks messy and unorganized. The whole point is that you can make the start screen exactly like you want it so if you don't like the start screen, it's your own fault alone for not fixing it correctly for your own needs.

lol agreed ^

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I really like the NEW WP8 Start Screen that Microsoft revealed in June. I definitely think it's an improvement over the current one, but not the best it can be. Some of the main complaints are:

It looks too busy
It looks to cluttered
It looks un-organised
We need MORE + CUSTOM backgrounds
We need HUBS
We need GROUPS
We want LANDSCAPE View

I have created two quick mock-ups (Portrait & Landscape), that show the Grouping Feature, that I think fits in with the design language. I think this along with Windows 8 Semantic Zoom would make organising/de-cluttering/renaming groups much easier.

This would enable people that prefer a better organised/ less busier looking screen to manage it more effectively.

(Please see attachments for the mock-ups).

Hopefully Microsoft takes note and gives us something similar.

First - I LOVE your mockups
But secondly, you say you love the new start screen but from your bullet list it seems you want to change everything about it :p

dukrem

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Love the groups in those mockups, it definitely helps with organisation.

I only just stumbled across this wp8 concept and there's some pretty cool ideas, but the best part is in the third image on the page with the dark semi-transparent live tiles with a full colour background image - it looks really good, and combined with the grouping mentioned above we could easily have the best start screen of any mobile OS.

My Dream Nokia: Nokia Lumia 908 with stunning Apollo WP8 concept slides! : My Nokia Blog

Jake_M

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Windows-Phone-8-concept.jpg

I really like it with the W8 background

SCOOBY_666UK

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
"It looks too busy/cluttered" and "We need MORE + CUSTOM backgrounds" are in direct opposition.
Just sayin :D
Sorry... I was referring to general complaints from current users. Though I can understand where they are coming from... to make the device feel even more personal (I personally prefer the current & Windows 8 Style backgrounds).

Custom backgrounds could easily be implemented by applying a default black shade/tint to the selected background/image. (e.g. Music + Video Hub Artwork).

Though having a long list of icons/tiles cluttered together without having a break/grouping.... does make the screen look disorganised and busy.

IMHO, creating groups gives a much tidier look and it also makes searching that much more easier.

Again, for anyone that does not like the idea/look...it would be optional....like Windows 8.

Last edited:

SCOOBY_666UK

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Love the groups in those mockups, it definitely helps with organisation.

I only just stumbled across this wp8 concept and there's some pretty cool ideas, but the best part is in the third image on the page with the dark semi-transparent live tiles with a full colour background image - it looks really good, and combined with the grouping mentioned above we could easily have the best start screen of any mobile OS.

My Dream Nokia: Nokia Lumia 908 with stunning Apollo WP8 concept slides! : My Nokia Blog
I like the concepts... but IMO, the Lumia was designed for on-screen virtual buttons. With Windows 8, the Lumia needs to drop the Hardware Capacitive Screen buttons and opt for the virtual buttons. This will increase the screen size and reduce the bezel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa