Newbie Questions - Lumina 900

lwheiser

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a new convert to Windows phone after having an HP iPAQ back in the day. Some questions for you veterans.
1. Is there an app that will let certain contact's calls ring when phone on silent? For example, I silent my phone when I go to be but if my daughter calls I want to hear it. I've searched but can't find one.
2. How do you create a contact from a text message? I got a text from someone and want to add them - it says 'Unknown Contact' but I can't edit the profile. I'm sure this must be something simple.
3. Is there an app yet that allows you to set different volume levels for diff notification types? In my research this is a source of frustration for many. Maybe someone has solved it??
4. Turn by Turn Navigation - best app? My POS HTC Inspire used Google which was great. I've got Bingle Maps but can't figure out to get vocal directions. Could be user error :)

That's about it for now. I love the interface and the phone is scarry fast! It just takes some getting used to and overcoming some frustration trying to mimic functionality that I easily had before. I'm sure I will have more questions!
TIA!
Lisa

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to click on the number in the text message and save it as either a new contact or as a new number on an existing contact.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
4. Turn by Turn Navigation - best app? My POS HTC Inspire used Google which was great. I've got Bingle Maps but can't figure out to get vocal directions. Could be user error

You have a Lumia 900 so download Nokia Drive from the "Nokia Collection" in the app marketplace. It's one of the best GPS apps on the market (and free).

However, to get voice turn-by-turn using Bing Maps you have tap the screen to get updated map directions. It's lame but there's a licensing issue that's preventing Microsoft from adding automatic voice turn-by-turn to Bing Maps.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You know what, the fans with Windows Phjone right now are the loyal fans you can ever get. This is because, our platform lacks a lot of featres and apps and you'll really feel the pain when you come from android or iOS, and the case isn't that current wp fans don't know what's up and that we are limited....we know everything and a lot of smart dudes here and although we know our beloved platform lacks a lot, we still hanging on to it because we love it. There are a lot of apps I need buut don't have them, yet still it pains but im not bothered. So I 'll plead with you to just manage with what we have, probably wp8 will satify all our needs

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm a new convert to Windows phone after having an HP iPAQ back in the day. Some questions for you veterans.
1. Is there an app that will let certain contact's calls ring when phone on silent? For example, I silent my phone when I go to be but if my daughter calls I want to hear it. I've searched but can't find one.
2. How do you create a contact from a text message? I got a text from someone and want to add them - it says 'Unknown Contact' but I can't edit the profile. I'm sure this must be something simple.
3. Is there an app yet that allows you to set different volume levels for diff notification types? In my research this is a source of frustration for many. Maybe someone has solved it??
4. Turn by Turn Navigation - best app? My POS HTC Inspire used Google which was great. I've got Bingle Maps but can't figure out to get vocal directions. Could be user error :)

That's about it for now. I love the interface and the phone is scarry fast! It just takes some getting used to and overcoming some frustration trying to mimic functionality that I easily had before. I'm sure I will have more questions!
TIA!
Lisa

1) I don't think there is a way to do exactly that. You can set different ring tones for different people but as for making it ring for a specific person even in silent mode I don't think so and I don't think many phones out there will as it would defeat the purpose of a silent mode but I could be wrong.

2) If there is a number you can tap the number and it will bring up a screen where you can hit the disk icon to save it and then from there you can add it to an existing contact or make a new one (In WP 7 if you click the three dots in the bottom right it will tell you what each icon does as well as bring up additional settings) It is possible if it doesn't work the number maybe blocked I forget what it says when you get a text from a blocked number it may very well only say "Unknown Contact"

3) No but you can disable specific groupings of sound such as the camera shutter or key typing. But the volume setting is universal.

4) Nokia Drive works really well and does turn by turn directions and you can download the maps so you can have offline access. However I do not believe it calls out the street names at least it didn't for me when I used it but that was a bit ago they may have changed it. Its also free.

Good luck with the phone what it does it seems to do pretty well. There are some holes in the OS for some things that you may miss but for the most part I haven't been overly bothered by them or found apps that substitute the functionality. Just don't be afraid to ask.

lwheiser

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone! The saving the contact just wasn't intuitive - I had seen the save icon but thought that saved what was there not that it would take you to another page to edit. Now I know!! And I downloaded Nokia Drive - it's great! As for the rest, none are show stoppers. I love the phone!!! I'm sure I'll be back with other questions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos