WP8 Advantages Over Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I was curious about the battery life that has been mentioned in this thread, so I looked up some phones on AT&T's website for some info and here's what I found:

HTC One X: 1800 mAH, 8.5 hours talk time, 12.6 days standby
Samsung GS3: 2100 mAH, 8 hours talk time, 8.3 days standby
Nokia Lumia 900: 1830 mAH, 7 hours talk time, 12.5 days standby
HTC Titan 2: 1730 mAH, 4.3 hours talk time, 12.2 days standby

Non-LTE:

Samsung Focus S: 1650 mAH, 6.5 hours talk time, 10 days standby
Samsung GS2: 1650 mAH, 8 hours talk time, 16 days standby

Other than the Galaxy S3 and the Titan 2 the battery sizes are comparable and it seems the androids do just as good or better in rated battery life. I'm sure the study from Anandtech is even more accurate though.

I know I've never experienced good battery life in a smartphone. My motorola droid was horrible and my Trophy isn't really any better. The Rezound I have does ok, but I've got an extended battery on it.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm speaking from my experience with the phones I HAVE OWNED and my WP7.5 phones always outlasted my last few androids. I have heard that the latest iteration of android devices have significantly improved this battery life thing. It's about time they got it kinda right. With my Rezound I was couldn't make it through my workday without either having to recharge it or using my extended battery. With my Lumia and my Titan 2, I can make it to the night without wifi. And this was with texting, surfing the web, stream a few minutes worth of videos while on a train.

But yes, I've heard the GS3 and the One X has finally made some improvements. Bravo.
And this is just an opinion of mine based on my last 5 android devices....you know you have to reboot at least once a week. Don't lie to yourself. Come out of the closet and admit it. lol. Some Android reboot more than others, but I know an android has to reboot at least once a week. YOU AIN'T GOTTA LIE CRAIG!!!! HAHA! My WP device has to reboot..well....almost never. at the same time, my WP phone can't do what some androids do, so there's the tradeoff.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
LOL! I always like the standby times they quote. Of course they don't tell you it has to be in Airplane Mode to get that amount of standby time. :D

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was curious about the battery life that has been mentioned in this thread, so I looked up some phones on AT&T's website for some info and here's what I found:

HTC One X: 1800 mAH, 8.5 hours talk time, 12.6 days standby

Samsung GS3: 2100 mAH, 8 hours talk time, 8.3 days standby

Nokia Lumia 900: 1830 mAH, 7 hours talk time, 12.5 days standby

HTC Titan 2: 1730 mAH, 4.3 hours talk time, 12.2 days standby

Non-LTE:

Samsung Focus S: 1650 mAH, 6.5 hours talk time, 10 days standby

Samsung GS2: 1650 mAH, 8 hours talk time, 16 days standby

Other than the Galaxy S3 and the Titan 2 the battery sizes are comparable and it seems the androids do just as good or better in rated battery life. I'm sure the study from Anandtech is even more accurate though.

I know I've never experienced good battery life in a smartphone. My motorola droid was horrible and my Trophy isn't really any better. The Rezound I have does ok, but I've got an extended battery on it.
Not to get too far off subject, but you can see by the above ratings that whatever testing method is being used, it is terribly inconsistent. Larger batteries with lower ratings and vice-versa. Remember, these are talk time tests, with 0 third party interaction. So while these numbers are a somewhat vague guide, they don't paint a very clear picture.

As an FYI, with my last three phones, I have found uptime (using data/wi-fi with the screen on) to be about 10-15% better than rated talk time. That number can also vary though, based on the background features a user has activated. So everyone's experience will be different.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the talk and standby times listed by the manufacturer is subjective. Anandtech has some pretty scientific testing. I want to do some research on there and see how different phones compare for battery life.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
-Don't need an app for most things
False. The whole point of having a huge app store is that you don't need to use a web browser to access services that aren't native (or partnered) with Microsoft. Usually, there is a first-party application available for most anything.

Services like Path, Instagram, Hulu Plus, etc. Having Native Apps allow you to access those services in a way that a web browser doesn't facilitate. Web Browsers don't give Push Notifications. Web Pages don't integrate with the Sharing System in Operating Systems. In some cases (Path, Instagram) you cannot access the service at all without an app. A browser won't save you there, and neither will a People Hub that doesn't even integrate the service (and you'd probably need a full FW update for MS to integrate it, if they ever do).

The built-in Social Hubs in some OSes (Windows Phone People Hub being literally equivalent to Samsung Social Hub) can't make up for the lack of an app, because some developers will break your app at the API/Authentication level to disallow you from integrating your service - Instagram and Pandora are/were known for that.

The notion that you don't need an app for most things on WP7 or WP8 is about as valid as saying that for Android and iOS, because all three platforms have a web browser and the other two have a better supported web browser (WebKit) than Windows Phone.

-Free office
Every Android phone ships with an Office Suite. Samsung phones ship with one that can both Edit and Create documents, and can access Cloud Services like DropBox and Box.net - among others.

Additionally, the Google Drive app can create and edit Google Docs, so that's invalid even in the absence of the pre-loaded Office Suites on most (all?) Android devices. Sharing and Collaboration is built into that app, as well.

-OnDemand music right from the music player
Can do that with Google Music or Sony Music Unlimited. Also Samsung Music Hub on GS3 devices.

Zune Pass is not free.

-flawless interaction with Xbox ,and win8 tablets and PCs
The XBox app works over the internet so theoretically someone can use your phone to run up charges with it while you're on vacation across the country if you lose an unlocked phone. That's not flawless.

As for Win8 Tablets and PCs I guess it matters if you have a Win8 Tablet or PC :) I wouldn't call it flawless/integration. More interoperability than integration. I think the difference between those two words are becoming more and more muddied as time goes on, on these "tech forums."

You see, this is the definition of interoperability:

(computer science) the ability to exchange and use information (usually in a large heterogeneous network made up of several local area networks)

I think that makes more sense. There's no flawless integration there, they just interop well, which any OS can do given decent cloud services and accompanying software - which is all the WP8/Win8 interop is: software and cloud services. It really isn't that hard, they just baked it into the OS. Whoopdy-doo. Apple does this with OSX/iOS/iCloud/etc. already. Google does it with Chrome OS.

-Better performance on same hardware
Ignorable speculation because no such devices exist (WP7/WP8 release devices with the same hardware as i.e. a HOX or GS3, not even a GS2/SR or something on that level). You're assuming WP7/8 OS performance scales linearly which cannot be assumed. Obviously you are not a software developer.

-No need to install custom roms to get rid of carrier/OEM added garbage.
You can uninstall and disable pretty much all carrier bloatware in ICS, nevermind Jelly Bean. That's all WP7 does. If you factory reset, it's back there again, cause it's baked into the ROM. If you truly want to get rid of it in WP7, you still need to break into your phone to rip that package out - similar to Android. iOS is the only carrier-subsidized OS that ships basically free of bloatware (maybe there's a VVM or MyAT&T/MyVerizon app on there or something, but those are literally ignorable and actually useful).

-No need to spend hours getting everything just right.
Ignorable subjective and assuming point. Yea...

I could go on and on.
And still be wrong on many counts...

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
BB does this too and I always thought it was really dumb. When I want something gone, I want it GONE.

Usually most can be uninstalled. Some can only be disabled. The package is still in the ROM, same as on WP7. If you ever Factory Reset an Android or WP7 device all the bloatware will come right back. Same as Blackberry. iOS is the only subsidized platform that does have this issue.

Uninstalling Bloatware on WP7 is literally equivalent to unistalling it on ICS/JB. The only difference between the two is that unlike WP7, ICS/JB also allows you to Disable (Freeze) even some stock applications that you don't want (or carrier bloatware that cannot be uninstalled).

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not to get too far off subject, but you can see by the above ratings that whatever testing method is being used, it is terribly inconsistent. Larger batteries with lower ratings and vice-versa. Remember, these are talk time tests, with 0 third party interaction. So while these numbers are a somewhat vague guide, they don't paint a very clear picture.

As an FYI, with my last three phones, I have found uptime (using data/wi-fi with the screen on) to be about 10-15% better than rated talk time. That number can also vary though, based on the background features a user has activated. So everyone's experience will be different.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Nothing inconsistent about it. The LG Nitro HD has terrible battery life and LG themselves rated it at 3 hours talk time. They're rated that way because that's how they performed when they were tested by the Manufacturers. Sometimes having a bigger battery doesn't erase battery life issues. It's why phones like the Atrix 4G still had mediocre battery life while something like a GS2 or SR on HSPA+ outperforms it with a smaller battery.

Additionally, screen technology and screen resolution, SoC type, sensors, software optimization, etc. also factor into battery life. Newer CPUs are more battery efficient, and something like a SAMOLED+ WVGA screen will not drain as much battery as a qHD backlid LCD screen. Therefore a phone like the GS2 could outperform something like a Titan II with a smaller battery just by virtue of it's more up-to-date hardware components. Skins like TW4/Nature and Sense 3.6/4 are a lot more optimized compared to Sense 3.x and TW 3 - their performance speaks for itself (esp on ICS). Android is also not GPU accellerated on more efficient GPUs, and up until Mango devices they tended to have more sensors in the phones than launch WP7 devices (which had no FFC or Gyro, for example, also no NFC).

And of course, the nature of Android and it's truer Multi-Tasking allows the device to run more apps concurrently than the average WP7/7.5 device. Why do you think Apple can get as good battery life in the iPhone 4/4S with a ~1400 mAh battery?

Think about it a bit, you're harping on something that really is unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
That's a myth that the WP fanboys would love to believe, but is simply not true. Anandtech does some pretty great battery tests and the Lumia 900 (which is the de facto WP flagship) comes out consistently at the bottom. You can check the charts for example here:

AnandTech - HTC One S Review - Battery Life

And no, it's not because of the larger battery capacity. The Nexus has the same battery capacity as the Lumia 900.
Well the GN has a newer version of android so it better have an improvement in battery life. Also the L900 has had a couple firmware updates since then which probably could've improved battery life.
To participate in the discussion with real facts and opinions that are based on the reality of things.

And to correct all the nonsense you guys keep making up. I wouldn't have to do that if you weren't posting stuff that is simply not true or offensive to other members of this community.

Only people who are offended by what I say are android fanboys that keep invading our community, that's also reflected by how many likes I have vs how many you have.

False. The whole point of having a huge app store is that you don't need to use a web browser to access services that aren't native (or partnered) with Microsoft. Usually, there is a first-party application available for most anything.

Services like Path, Instagram, Hulu Plus, etc. Having Native Apps allow you to access those services in a way that a web browser doesn't facilitate. Web Browsers don't give Push Notifications. Web Pages don't integrate with the Sharing System in Operating Systems. In some cases (Path, Instagram) you cannot access the service at all without an app. A browser won't save you there, and neither will a People Hub that doesn't even integrate the service (and you'd probably need a full FW update for MS to integrate it, if they ever do).

The built-in Social Hubs in some OSes (Windows Phone People Hub being literally equivalent to Samsung Social Hub) can't make up for the lack of an app, because some developers will break your app at the API/Authentication level to disallow you from integrating your service - Instagram and Pandora are/were known for that.

The notion that you don't need an app for most things on WP7 or WP8 is about as valid as saying that for Android and iOS, because all three platforms have a web browser and the other two have a better supported web browser (WebKit) than Windows Phone.

1. Every Android phone ships with an Office Suite. Samsung phones ship with one that can both Edit and Create documents, and can access Cloud Services like DropBox and Box.net - among others.

Additionally, the Google Drive app can create and edit Google Docs, so that's invalid even in the absence of the pre-loaded Office Suites on most (all?) Android devices. Sharing and Collaboration is built into that app, as well.

2. Can do that with Google Music or Sony Music Unlimited. Also Samsung Music Hub on GS3 devices.

Zune Pass is not free.

The XBox app works over the internet so theoretically someone can use your phone to run up charges with it while you're on vacation across the country if you lose an unlocked phone. That's not flawless.

As for Win8 Tablets and PCs I guess it matters if you have a Win8 Tablet or PC :) I wouldn't call it flawless/integration. More interoperability than integration. I think the difference between those two words are becoming more and more muddied as time goes on, on these "tech forums."

You see, this is the definition of interoperability:

I think that makes more sense. There's no flawless integration there, they just interop well, which any OS can do given decent cloud services and accompanying software - which is all the WP8/Win8 interop is: software and cloud services. It really isn't that hard, they just baked it into the OS. Whoopdy-doo. Apple does this with OSX/iOS/iCloud/etc. already. Google does it with Chrome OS.

3. Ignorable speculation because no such devices exist (WP7/WP8 release devices with the same hardware as i.e. a HOX or GS3, not even a GS2/SR or something on that level). You're assuming WP7/8 OS performance scales linearly which cannot be assumed. Obviously you are not a software developer.

You can uninstall and disable pretty much all carrier bloatware in ICS, nevermind Jelly Bean. That's all WP7 does. If you factory reset, it's back there again, cause it's baked into the ROM. If you truly want to get rid of it in WP7, you still need to break into your phone to rip that package out - similar to Android. iOS is the only carrier-subsidized OS that ships basically free of bloatware (maybe there's a VVM or MyAT&T/MyVerizon app on there or something, but those are literally ignorable and actually useful).

Ignorable subjective and assuming point. Yea...

And still be wrong on many counts...

Wow so much here anyway:
1. Google docs isn't nearly as good or as compatible as SkyDrive and Microsoft office docs. I know this because I had a group project last semester and we used google docs, they couldn't even open the .docx files I uploaded,I had to reupload them in standard .doc format in order for them to be able to open it. That wouldn't have been the case with SkyDrive which supports collaboration as well.

2. Google music in the play store isn't free either, some songs are free while others you have to pay to even be able to stream them. Only thing that's free is muve music which is included in a cricket subscribers plan.

3. for that I'm going based off an analysis that Intel did on dual core androids. It was proven that android devices have inefficient use of the cores and it does more harm than good to have another core.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the GN has a newer version of android so it better have an improvement in battery life. Also the L900 has had a couple firmware updates since then which probably could've improved battery life.

Only people who are offended by what I say are android fanboys that keep invading our community, that's also reflected by how many likes I have vs how many you have.

Wow so much here anyway:
1. Google docs isn't nearly as good or as compatible as SkyDrive and Microsoft office docs. I know this because I had a group project last semester and we used google docs, they couldn't even open the .docx files I uploaded,I had to reupload them in standard .doc format in order for them to be able to open it. That wouldn't have been the case with SkyDrive which supports collaboration as well.

2. Google music in the play store isn't free either, some songs are free while others you have to pay to even be able to stream them. Only thing that's free is muve music which is included in a cricket subscribers plan.

3. for that I'm going based off an analysis that Intel did on dual core androids. It was proven that android devices have inefficient use of the cores and it does more harm than good to have another core.

Thanks for the rebuttal. I wanted to do it, but I had N8ter on my ignore list. Though sometimes he has substantial input, he chooses to be a resident douche bag sometimes.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to delete my post if I can. We have enough fighting around here as it is. I don't want to contribute to any of it.
I was unable to delete the post from my phone so I modified it. If you could remove the quote I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had most high end android phones, including the Nexus, Note, GS2, Razr, One X and many more.

Right now I'm pretty happy with my Dell Venue Pro running Mango.

Things I like about my Venue:

-Battery life: on WP, apps can be prevented from running in the background. I feel that this really helps battery life. On android, I always had a rogue app that would suck my battery. It was pretty inconsistent.

-Office: nothing beats the real MS Office. I tried many apps on android and they were good but not excellent.

-Uniform theme: most apps I have stick to the Metro UI. I have a black/red theme, and it helps on the battery with the AMOLED screen. Android is getting there with Holo but it still has some ways to go.

-Social networking: the built in FB, twitter and LinkedIn are good for me. The notifications are unobtrusive and I can see on the live tile how many new items I got. I got pretty tired of seeing my friends check in on my android notification bar.

-Music: The Zune app is really polished. It handles all of my podcasts, and I am also trying the Zune pass. It's really easy to start listening to music. With android I had Google Play which is cool. Podcast was ok. I was using Pocket Casts, which is excellent, but not as polished as Zune.

-Smoothness: The whole OS is really fluid. Jelly Bean is good as well, but I still feel WP feels better.

Things I like better on Android:

-Speed: the Krait processor is fast. Couple that with 1GB of ram, and most app on Android open instantaneously.

-Apps: More apps and updates on Android, but I do have a tons on my WP.

-Navigation: I can click on a link and navigate from there. Maybe Nokia Drive can do that? Right now I have to open Garmin and enter the address manually.

So in conclusion, I do feel that Android is a better OS than WP. However, WP is still great, and will be even better when 8 comes around.

With ice cream sandwich any app can be disabled so it doesn't show up in the app drawer anymore, so carrier added stuff isn't an issue anymore, at least on phones fortunate enough to be on ice cream sandwich.

Not all the apps can be disabled.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
To participate in the discussion with real facts and opinions that are based on the reality of things.

And to correct all the nonsense you guys keep making up. I wouldn't have to do that if you weren't posting stuff that is simply not true or offensive to other members of this community.

*guffaws*

Really? So folks make you post on here cause you feel the need to "correct" their opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel