Anyone having doubts about the WP8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. You get it. As do other folks. Which has me wondering what MS is thinking about in the lab. I wonder if they will ever throw out a few tidbits of info concerning some new features in WP8 sometime sooner rather than later. You know, to keep more of their customers on their side and keep them from possibly jumping ship.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Me for one have started selling off my phones! Got rid of my Titan last night on ebay!

ebradley

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Balanced

For all of those with CPU envy, would a multi core CPU make Mango operate more smoothly?
Part of the reason for dual and quad cores for Android is to make the OS work, period. I have seen many Android devices stutter while trying to scroll. Even a HTC running ICS on a quad core. Most of those devices never even utilize any of the extra cores. When the users of these devices see my WP scroll so smoothly and ask about the CPU, I proudly say it does that on a single core because it is a better OS. Most agree it is better.

I would rather have a "lesser" CPU and OS that just works rather than something I have to constantly reboot or have to have custom rom to MAKE it work.

For those feeling abandoned,
IOS does not port every feature set of a new device backwards, think SIRI and iPhone 4s.
The iPhone 4 was out only about a year(?), when 4s came out.
When a new model of your TV comes out, do you expect to get the new features added to the one you bought less than a year ago? Would you take your Corvette back to the dealership and demand the 600 hp motor because the model you bought 6 months ago only has 550 hp?

Get real people. WP Mango / 8 is no different. My suggestion is to go get that quad core Android (and find out how fast Google updates it). I believe you will realize you made a mistake because you will lag behind.
Go get the iPhone, then whine to Apple when you don't get the complete feature set of the next iOS.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For all of those with CPU envy, would a multi core CPU make Mango operate more smoothly?
Part of the reason for dual and quad cores for Android is to make the OS work, period. I have seen many Android devices stutter while trying to scroll. Even a HTC running ICS on a quad core. Most of those devices never even utilize any of the extra cores. When the users of these devices see my WP scroll so smoothly and ask about the CPU, I proudly say it does that on a single core because it is a better OS. Most agree it is better.

I would rather have a "lesser" CPU and OS that just works rather than something I have to constantly reboot or have to have custom rom to MAKE it work.

IOS does not port every feature set of a new device backwards, think SIRI and iPhone 4s.
When a new model of your TV comes out, do you expect to get the new features added to the one you bought less than a year ago? Would you take your Corvette back to the dealership and demand the 600 hp motor because the model you bought 6 months ago only has 550 hp?

Get real people. WP Mango / 8 is no different. My suggestion is to go get that quad core Android (and find out how fast Google updates it). I believe you will realize you made a mistake because you will lag behind.
Go get the iPhone, then whine to Apple when you don't get the complete feature set of the next iOS.
I had a Galaxy S III for 10 days and despite the fact that it had what many would consider the best hardware, there were times that it did stutter. Most often it would be when I would try to wake the phone up. You'd press the unlock button and sometimes, for no reason whatsoever, it would take 2 or 3 seconds to respond. I also hated the stock keyboard as it was horribly inaccurate. I switched to other keyboards that were slightly better but I definitely had to rely on the error correction software because the software never really registered my presses correctly. My phone was never rooted or ROMed so this was running the stock software written by Samsung. Perhaps Jelly Bean will address some of these issues.

I also had an iPhone 4 running stock iOS 5.1 that just bogged down quite often. Mine was an 8GB iPhone 4 so it came stock with iOS 5 out of the package and never had to be updated from iOS 4. It, too, had delays waking up at times and was notoriously slow when launching Safari. The app would open okay, but it would have difficulty accepting input for a few seconds and oftentimes it would lag behind my typing in the address bar.

Lag was something I never really found in Mango and I found the keyboard to be extremely accurate, although I do feel the same about the keyboard on the iPhone. As long as WP8 runs smoothly on the device and it is relatively future-proofed, I don't need the best specs out there just to say that I have them.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

See, again this particular thread might go in a different stereotype direction.
Multicores or for that matter any cores, are not just for the OS/UI, are they? What about CPU intensive games? Have you ever noticed when you use facebook chat, SMS and watch a youtube video on that shameful youtube app, while swapping from one to another and then again another - the phone heats up? I blamed HTC for months, only until I realised that Lumia 800 was exactly the same. I believe most of the WP (single cores) are the same? Probably because our normal tasks that run so smoothly max out our CPU all the time? But with multicore, even though we don't "need" it, perhaps it wouldn't heat up?

No one in this thread ever said/wanted to cry about update delays on any other OS. We have had numerous threads about it when Mango, Tango and WP7.8 was announced. I don't care if I don't get WP8 on my phone. What bothers most with opinions similar to mine is: Will WP8 be as promising as it sounds? or Will it be a feature lacking, new kernel launch (think Oct, 2010) and then being promised 'more features' in future updates?

According to me if Sept 5 is Nokia's launch date of WP8 phone, then I want the first phone they pitch to be feature packed - nothing that makes it turn into a spaceship, but enough features (basics) that exist on all the other smartphones. If Nokia launches a phone that still lacks features i.e. say for example, "New screenshot feature will become available baked into WP8.1 in November" - I will lose faith in humanity!

I am going to repeat, none of us here think WP is a fail or will be a fail. Got nothing against the beauty of this OS. But with Mango, then with Tango and then with WP7.8 and WP8 all we were/are hoping for "This will an end to a catch up game and may be the next one will bring something that will stand out". Alas! We've not even caught up yet and hence I am far from dreaming of new badass feature, not even one. Don't want it. Just need stop catching up and then may be add spanking new features with WP8.1, WP8.5, WP8.8 and WP9 - one innovation per update.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No one would be on this thread if we didn't like the OS. So for those that continue to blast these subjects for people wanting "bigger and better", relax. We do not want another Android. We want to be competitive with Android, Apple and RIM (I still count them until they are below 10% worldwide which isn't happening yet) so that WP is set for the future. 3% - 7% sales is not good enough. The OS needs to offer some things to get it to 15% - 20% within the next couple years, and that is a hard road to travel.

I am not a huge tech driven consumer. I am an operation driven consumer. I use One Note, bill minders, calander, and other tools to make my life easier. Throw in games, music, entertainment, and of course communication and you now have the entire spectrum of uses for Smartphones.

WP already has driven up the game on communication with the seamless way they incorporate social media. Improve the notifications and maybe the keyboard (or just include a couple of different keyboard options in the marketplace), and the single strongest aspect of WP becomes untouchable so long as manufacturers have good call quality and reception.

The Zune player is EOL, so we now need to hope WP 8's music player and media options are easier and more seamless. While I am fine with Zune, I certainly see tons of room for improvement. I say this is not a strength of WP 7. Certainly needs improvement to compete with the iPhone as I think this is Apple's biggest strength.

Gaming is a very good experience, especially if you are already an XBOX owner. But I also think this is an area that has to improve if MS wants to take some sales from Android. The gamers are heavy on Android as graphics and game options are so much more available on Google's offerings. Throw in the Tablet market which MS wants so bad and you see that enterainment is the main tablet consumer. I love the potential of what WP 7 launched, but it needs to be a stand alone selling point. It just isn't there yet. It has to be on WP 8.

As for me, the kernal sharing with Windows 8 tells me I am set. I want better tools, and I already love the "live" intergration with calander, One Note, and to do lists. The marketplace has some decent financial tools which are set to explode with Office intergration and the Barnes and Noble partnership. So WP 8 doesn't need to sell to me, I am sold. I think business users will love having the cross platform ecosystem and MS can get into some serious competition against RIM and Apple for professionals so long as WP 8 is truly Office compatible. (Some physical keyboard options would help.)

I am worried for WP 8 in general, not for my business. We HAVE to see WP 8 turning some great profits by the end of 2013 or mid 2014, or we may see WP get throttled. Good is not good enough. It needs to offer great options. It's put up or shut down over the next 24 months.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I have an HTC Rezound as a backup to my HTC Trophy. The Rezound has a dual-core 1.5 gigahertz processor. Overall it isn't as smooth as my Trophy, but any task that involves downloading from the internet my Trophy isn't nearly as fast. Also I find I have more homescreen redraws on the Trophy than on the Rezound. I will go as far as to say the only time I notice the Rezound isn't smooth and fluid is when I pick up the Trophy. There are certain things I prefer about using the Trophy, but for me to say using a Rezound is a glitchy, horrible experience because it runs android would be a total lie. I am hoping the WP8 brings more of the features I like about android to go along with the things I like about WP7.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Like I told most here in another post is for buyers to be true to themselves and stop lying about what you want. If you are a spec chaser be a spec chaser and get the phones that you deem have the best specs. Example to this is why would a person that uses a Mac all the time and all there music is on ITunes get a Droid X as there phone. It doesn't make sense.

If you need those high end specs and want you phone to be the best spec wise why get an HTC HD7 or a Motorola defy. You lied to yourself and then have buyers remorse. Technology changes every week so if you have the bug to want better each month I hope you buy your phones outright to support that itch.

I'm content with my phone alot longer than most folks and tend not to get the latest and greatest. IMO its a racket to buy the latest and greatest then it's EOL the next week by something else. I use my phone as it was intended...I make phone calls with it. I don't use many apps at all and don't need every new one my friends show me they are using.

We Americans to say the least are trapped in the must have now, latest and greatest this, materialistic crap of an economy we have built. This mode of thinking is the reason prices are well beyond the actual value of things...... stuff is getting more and more expensive to buy for even basic things. Quad core this, Megapixel this, GB this are just buzz words to make you by a product. It seems alot of people here get hooked line and sinker to that obvious racket.

Just like a catfish people just can't stop feeding to this crap. I'm glad I woke up and got off the hamster wheel and see what this industry and many others are.....just rackets just like the mob use to run and still do. Smartphones are nice but like most things it can turn into a negative if you don't watch it.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Let's just say, MS is playing its own game. Not entering the rat race, they have their own bit of Pros. I am not thinking about WP7 when writing this, but from whatever I had read about WP8, it looks promising.

I am an Andriod user currently, and to be v v honest, I am tired of tweaking/modding and hacking. With MS, somewhere, I like the fact that we can't tinker with it to an extent that we can brick the damn thing. :p

Of course, its base still remains WP7, but from there on, it only grows. Give it some time. Goes without saying, it has great potential.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hence the OPs post stands relevant as in, do we have doubts for WP8? Yes, because it will have to stop playing catch up. No, I don't doubt that WP will be a success. It will be. But not with WP8. It might become better than WP7 but not better than others out there. It might genuinely threaten others with WP9 and might be a strong competitor with WP10. It is a speculation based on MSFT's history with WM6.5 and WP7. Nothing wrong if people have reservations with WP8 initially.

Well my post is taken out of context and was addressed at the one guy that is jealous over other device offerings. It's understandable, but that's not per se a fault of Windows Phone/Microsoft.

I already said my piece about the matter and I really don't get why there should be much doubt. Microsoft provided the context for the actions and results that we see in Windows Phone 7.x and the direction the company and their products as a whole are headed in. In my mind it's new ground and there's more of a chance that there will be lesser shortcomings in Windows Phone this time around.

Even for the shortcomings that will be in WP8, I can't imagine Microsoft would be stupid enough to not match what Apple or Google are offering currently (e.g. multiple selecting of photos (finally), matching NFC payments anyone?). If that's the case I'm surprised they're still even around as a company.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. You get it. As do other folks. Which has me wondering what MS is thinking about in the lab. I wonder if they will ever throw out a few tidbits of info concerning some new features in WP8 sometime sooner rather than later. You know, to keep more of their customers on their side and keep them from possibly jumping ship.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
you can see alot of people excited about Wp8 even on the verge you see alot of people switching to wp

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad you can say that at the moment. Unfortunatly some of us need our Windows Phones with better cameras, more horse power for apps and games comparable to the best ones in the competition, and more apps in general. Of course we can say that WP8 is going to have all that. Well, in fact it supports all that but as off now we don't really know if the first phones will actually have those things. I'll wait for those first WP8 devices, but they better deliver because I'm not going to wait for the second round...

I guess you haven't seen any of the articles on the upcoming HTC WPs, they have what you're clamoring for.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
marketing is the key. Salespeople are important also. "Rolling Thunder" was a dud its time for a full on hurricane of promotions and advertisements

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
marketing is the key. Salespeople are important also. "Rolling Thunder" was a dud its time for a full on hurricane of promotions and advertisements

While I agree 100% I dont think MSFT has ever mastered the art of marketing. Rolling Thunder never rolled anything that big. Maybe it did something in the USA for a few weeks which might the reason why WP growth did not go down a steep exit route and has been steady since WP7.8 announcement.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Marketing up until now has simply been to get those "in the know" to buy WP, and make others aware. With the launch of WP8, marketing will shift to convince people to switch or buy. All good things take time.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

God, can't you just understand that there is more than running the OS smoothly? What about third party apps? Multi core CPU are needed to give developers more freedom to create what they want!

I guess you haven't seen any of the articles on the upcoming HTC WPs, they have what you're clamoring for.

I did see them. But there are no oficial announcements so far, so I've to treat all that has been said as rumous.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
God, can't you just understand that there is more than running the OS smoothly? What about third party apps? Multi core CPU are needed to give developers more freedom to create what they want!

I did see them. But there are no oficial announcements so far, so I've to treat all that has been said as rumous.

Though I second the fact that we don't need dual/quad cores, don't you think that the devs already know that the phone lacks multi-cores and will design apps/games accordingly? Just a question...

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there anything wrong with wanting the best apps and games for our favourite OS?
Microsoft isn't in a good enough position to be able to say "if you want technically better games go iOS or Android because we don't have them". They just have to support better hardware and I'm glad they they are doing it. But now it's on the hands of the OEMs to actually make multi core phones and let us finally be able to have the best apps on WP8.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

That doesn't make sense considering that Android doesn't even use dual core processors efficiently.
Is there anything wrong with wanting the best apps and games for our favourite OS?
Microsoft isn't in a good enough position to be able to say "if you want technically better games go iOS or Android because we don't have them". They just have to support better hardware and I'm glad they they are doing it. But now it's on the hands of the OEMs to actually make multi core phones and let us finally be able to have the best apps on WP8.
The NT kernel is far more capable of this, so it will happen. There's absolutely no reason for you to be this doubtful

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I remember having this same debate a year back while weighing the pros and cons WP7.

The question actually is Do we absolutely need multi-cores? There is of course nothing bad in having a couple of 'em... But its somewhere need vs want debate.

"Just because the worlds doing it, I'm gonna do it too" is wrong. But if that's what catapults your OS ahead of the rest , leave no stone unturned I'd say...

Plz don't get me wrong...who wouldn't like to have a beast of phone??

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss