Will history repeat itself?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 devices get 18 month update promise - SlashGear

Perhaps not so widely discussed or debated line/point in the whole release is this. What do they mean by "atleast 18 months". What happens after that? It is, of course, bizarre to think that they will change the kernel again, but this does scare me nonetheless.

The support for WP8 devices will seize as fast as they come into existence? We all know MS doesn't release an update every six months. And observing their history, a couple of years before the next update is a given. That makes WP8 devices capable of only ONE update.

Do we have a reason to be scared/worried? Your views?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No because WP8 is based on the NT kernel and going forward that will be WP9/10/11, so there is no reason to worry about anything.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Most are able to upgrade every
20 months so 18 months of support will work out just right.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Im guessing that OEMs are contractually obligated to update for 18 months. There will probably be some that stop then and others (Nokia) who have more invested and will continue support as long as its possible.

Microsoft can really only give a minimum time period and 18 months is actually pretty damn good.

Either way, I think its another reason to go Nokia when it cones to WP.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Let's not forget that all manufacturers are in the business of selling phones, and a phone that last over a couple of years will cut into their sales. Selling phones is their life blood. :cool:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Perhaps not so widely discussed or debated line/point in the whole release is this. What do they mean by "atleast 18 months". What happens after that? It is, of course, bizarre to think that they will change the kernel again, but this does scare me nonetheless.

The support for WP8 devices will seize as fast as they come into existence? We all know MS doesn't release an update every six months. And observing their history, a couple of years before the next update is a given. That makes WP8 devices capable of only ONE update.

Evolution in the computer and smartphone world is a given. If the kernel changes it changes. If yu are going to sit aroiund and worry mabout that constantly then whats the point of having a smartphone. If you want to assure yourself tghat the kernel wont change stick with a tracphone feature phone. Take a chill pill and quit worrying over something that you have absolutely positively NO control over.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Evolution in the computer and smartphone world is a given. If the kernel changes it changes. If yu are going to sit aroiund and worry mabout that constantly then whats the point of having a smartphone. If you want to assure yourself tghat the kernel wont change stick with a tracphone feature phone. Take a chill pill and quit worrying over something that you have absolutely positively NO control over.

Though I agree with u, I don't get one point of yours. I do have that control with other phones. Now please don't get me wrong. I love WP8. But disconnecting a device from your update list is unheard of. If Android or iOS were to do that, there will be WW3.

All I'm saying is, I don't think its fair to disconnect an entire series of phones from updates just because there are new ones in the pipeline.

If they would make this a ritual, they are in trouble. And to those who are arguing that 18 months is enough, it is enough when it is Google/iOS. You know MS and seeing their track record, updates come not before 2 years. That makes us eligible for only one update. WP9.

Again, this is something I have observed.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I've had my HD7 for just over a year and I've received 5 software updates from MS in that time, not including Tango, which I'm still waiting for my carrier to approve. So my question is this: what exactly have YOU been smoking?!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

No. It's been said before (like the subject of this thread), but worth repeating. If I buy a WP8, and I most surely will, it will be for what the phone can do, not for how many updates it will get. Of course, as with any device, I will expect bug fixes from both the OS maker and the OEM. Anything else is bonus, not expected.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786