Tons of apps...not one useful.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
My impressions of the app store are this:

Microsft knows games. I like to game a lot on my mobile and I will continue to support the device with the best games. That means WP7 in my eyes. The games (though not the top-of-the-line graphics-wise) are some of the best games you can get on the mobile market.

Tentacles is by far my favorite game and you can only get it on WP7. Sure we just have the basic Angry Birds and a couple other games that were hits on iOS and Android but I am fine with that.

I really don't think people should equate # of apps to quality apps either. I absolutely despise android. I have never had an android device that can handle my multiple email accounts with the native app and login and check all of them for new email correctly. I know there are good email apps on the android market but why should I have to get one of those? Also why does my device recommend a security app? Makes you think androids get hacked a lot. Also just downloading random apps on android to see what they do can be a nightmare to clean up after once you uninstall. Leaving ad's on the home screen and in the notification bar. Just too intrusive and too much accessability is given to the app developers for android.

iPhone? I am just not a mac-baby and I loved my 4S for the few months that I had it. Very solid phone and never let me down. But I hated the tiny screen and I hated having to sync everything through iTunes. iTunes is clunky.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft knows games. I like to game a lot on my mobile and I will continue to support the device with the best games. That means WP7 in my eyes. The games (though not the top-of-the-line graphics-wise) are some of the best games you can get on the mobile market.

Sorry, but nothing can touch iOS as far as mobile gaming goes. It's not even a fair comparison.

Agreed on the rest though.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
In terms of local apps and smaller services, Windows Phone loses out. Most sites do not have feature-rich mobile versions or responsive design, and having an app that can cache and pre-load content in a native-styled environment is always going to be nicer than browsing to the site.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Of course a big marketplace is not the same as many quality apps. In the beginning I thought most WP apps were serious, now more and more of the new apps is versions of "Super Fart Machine Deluxe" and "1000 sexy almost nude Russian girls" . (Like Android market).

It maybe different in the US, but where I live WP is missing a lot of official and local apps. I did know that when I bought my WP, and I thought it would change, but to my disappointment it hasn't.

I don't need many apps every day, it is more often the apps I rarely use but in certain situations that I find more important/handy.

And while the WP versions of an apps is more good looking, better designed, they almost always have less options and features and are updates can be very rare compared to the Android version. Like Spotify...

Daakkon

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The only app I'm really missing is Instagram and a couple cross-platform games to play with my friends. Such as, Draw Something, or Pocket Legends, or Pocket God. Having these games on Android and iOS does not help my situation. Instagram would be nice as my girlfriend uses it religiously.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
One issue I always had with WP7.

The Zune music player. It always showed the wrong artist. It was very very annoying. To people who are listening to Madonna or MJ, its cool. But to someone like me who listens to anything but mainstream artists its a curse.
Like, some of my fav artists are Black Sun Empire, NOISIA or even Dom&Roland, Phace and Misanthrop have completely different artist pictures
:eek:

This was extremely annoying. And add to that the low res images...that was it. Couldn't take it anymore.

On a giant 4.3" screen, a low res image of 3 unknown guys isn't the best site in the world.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Of course a big marketplace is not the same as many quality apps. In the beginning I thought most WP apps were serious, now more and more of the new apps is versions of "Super Fart Machine Deluxe" and "1000 sexy almost nude Russian girls" . (Like Android market).

It maybe different in the US, but where I live WP is missing a lot of official and local apps. I did know that when I bought my WP, and I thought it would change, but to my disappointment it hasn't.

I don't need many apps every day, it is more often the apps I rarely use but in certain situations that I find more important/handy.

And while the WP versions of an apps is more good looking, better designed, they almost always have less options and features and are updates can be very rare compared to the Android version. Like Spotify...

Rare updates can be good as that means that there isn't much to be fixed. It will also eventually change once Win8 and WP8 are released.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree. WP may be missing some of the big cross-platform apps such as instagram, but there are usually other apps with similar functionality.

That's the main problem for me I want the real app not third party there is no telling when api will not be available to third parties I would rather have the real instagram than instacam they can't even get chase bank app and that's on pretty much every platform

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
That's the main problem for me I want the real app not third party there is no telling when api will not be available to third parties I would rather have the real instagram than instacam they can't even get chase bank app and that's on pretty much every platform

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

It's not necissarily that the apps are 3rd party but that there are apps that do the same thing. For instance do you HAVE to use instagram? I know there are apps on the WP7 marketplace that do exactly what instagram does and the app is developed by the websites that origionally use it - not third party.

I guess if you just "want the most popular apps" then yeah, you may or may not have a WP7 version of it. But if you are the kind of person who has to have the most popular of anything then there is no reason to have a WP7. It's a nitch market and it has some very cool nitch apps and games for people who either dont like android or apple or want something different.

I hear you with the chase bank app but that's completely up to the developers unless microsoft gives them money and pleads for them to bring it to their OS like they did with Angry Birds. The Chase app is free so there is no reason to for MS to push them to make it. Besides, you have to login to the app every time anyways and their mobile website is completely functional and offers a great interface for mobile devices. Like I said, you have to actually login to the app every time anyways so it's virtually the same thing.

You are just tapping the Internet Explorer icon instead of a Chase App icon. That's pretty much the only difference.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
It's not necissarily that the apps are 3rd party but that there are apps that do the same thing. For instance do you HAVE to use instagram? I know there are apps on the WP7 marketplace that do exactly what instagram does and the app is developed by the websites that origionally use it - not third party.

I guess if you just "want the most popular apps" then yeah, you may or may not have a WP7 version of it. But if you are the kind of person who has to have the most popular of anything then there is no reason to have a WP7. It's a nitch market and it has some very cool nitch apps and games for people who either dont like android or apple or want something different.

There is one problem with being a nitch market; lack of interest and support.

One of the reasons I even considered WP was that Spotify got released. Even developed by MS themselfes, I thought the app would be at least as good as on the other platforms. The nice design even raised my expectations.
Well, it is buggy as something can be. Just look at the Spotify forums, there are tons of threads with problems with the WP version. People there have lost faith in WP because of MS non existant support! One year now without one single update! Meanwhile Android/iOS have got regular updates with new functions and better sound quality. Maybe there will be a new Spotify app for WP8... anyway it is an mockery of us early WP7 believers.

Even though WP was/is considered to be so easy to develop for so is IMHO at least 8/10 apps and games more functional and reliable on iOS and Android.

I hope MS will gain some real developer interest with Windows Phone 8 and Win 8!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
There is one problem with being a nitch market; lack of interest and support.

One of the reasons I even considered WP was that Spotify got released. Even developed by MS themselfes, I thought the app would be at least as good as on the other platforms. The nice design even raised my expectations.
Well, it is buggy as something can be. Just look at the Spotify forums, there are tons of threads with problems with the WP version. People there have lost faith in WP because of MS non existant support! One year now without one single update! Meanwhile Android/iOS have got regular updates with new functions and better sound quality. Maybe there will be a new Spotify app for WP8... anyway it is an mockery of us early WP7 believers.

Even though WP was/is considered to be so easy to develop for so is IMHO at least 8/10 apps and games more functional and reliable on iOS and Android.

I hope MS will gain some real developer interest with Windows Phone 8 and Win 8!

When you say one year without a single update are you referring to the phone or the Spotify app? If it's the phone within the past year my WP has received several updates. If it's the Spotify app you are referring to, how it it Microsoft's fault that the developers for Spotify don't update their app?

rightontime

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't really base purchase of a phone/tablet based on the marketplace apps, but the stock apps. Stock apps are what most people will be using the majority of the time anyway. I really like WP messaging, zune, and xbox apps.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I never have been into "apps". I use my phone for communications, music, and pictures... and very little else. I don't even surf the web on it except in a pinch if I'm desperate or bored.

There's a few apps I install because I feel like I should-- Facebook, WPCentral, Pictures Lab, Translator, YouTube-- but I really don't use them very often and I actually find the Me tile/People hub to be sufficient for my Facebook needs.

There's also a few apps I install because I use them as utilities-- Adobe Reader for PDF attachments in email, Amazing Weather (my favorite weather app), Amazon Mobile and NewEgg (for price lookups and purchases on the go, faster than web sites), Flashlight-X (obvious), and SkyDrive for document access.

And there's a few apps that I actually use frequently-- ConnectMe (Remote Desktop client), Network Tools (for network diagnostic needs), and IMDb (entertainment lookups), and I plan to use Lync 2010 frequently for work by year end.

I have a handful of games for when I'm super bored, but maybe once a month I will play ONE of them.

I'm not your average consumer though. I'm not using it as an entertainment device except for using it as my MP3 player. My phone is a productivity tool to get something done, so I know my needs aren't what others care about, and I think that's important for any user to consider when buying any gadget.

I think the Windows Phone market is simultaneously well-stocked and famished at the same time. Well-stocked for someone like me that doesn't care about apps and just needs a handful of utility apps.... famished, but improving for the app-lovers. I wish Microsoft would push for more banking apps is my only request.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, it's really depending on the user. If they feel like they need a lot of apps, we can't fault them for it and for their decision for sticking with another platform. But I think people here over exaggerate about our app selections.

To add, I have an android tablet and only use a handful of apps. Same for my blackberry. It really just depends on what works best for that person

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
When you say one year without a single update are you referring to the phone or the Spotify app? If it's the phone within the past year my WP has received several updates. If it's the Spotify app you are referring to, how it it Microsoft's fault that the developers for Spotify don't update their app?

Microsoft worked very closely with the Spotify developers to bring it to WP. They cared enough to bring it to WP, but it seems they do not care anymore about the updates. It's like a checkbox they had to check and then moved on.

And the problem is this is not a single case. There are lots of apps that suffer from the same problem. Gorram, even the WP OS has tons of stuff that needs fixing. But with WP8 coming they never will and we have no guarantee that WP8 will be better in that regard.

One example: The SMS exploit was discovered in December 2011. It took Microsoft 7 months to release a fix that was included in Tango. A critical exploit and it took 7 MONTHS! That's an unspeakable eternity in the mobile world.

Microsoft is too slow and they are leaving too much on the line. And with the approach they are currently taking they don't even deserve to be successful. I hope they get their sh*t together, because they do not have the luxury to be this ignorant. Right now, WP is walking the line of WebOS. An OS with great potential, that was never fully realized.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
^^ Microsoft is a cash cow. They will build their own mobile OS at their own pace - like it or not. WebOS isn't really comparable. I agree that things could be quicker, but only because I'm impatient. :D

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft worked very closely with the Spotify developers to bring it to WP. They cared enough to bring it to WP, but it seems they do not care anymore about the updates. It's like a checkbox they had to check and then moved on.

And the problem is this is not a single case. There are lots of apps that suffer from the same problem. Gorram, even the WP OS has tons of stuff that needs fixing. But with WP8 coming they never will and we have no guarantee that WP8 will be better in that regard.

One example: The SMS exploit was discovered in December 2011. It took Microsoft 7 months to release a fix that was included in Tango. A critical exploit and it took 7 MONTHS! That's an unspeakable eternity in the mobile world.

Microsoft is too slow and they are leaving too much on the line. And with the approach they are currently taking they don't even deserve to be successful. I hope they get their sh*t together, because they do not have the luxury to be this ignorant. Right now, WP is walking the line of WebOS. An OS with great potential, that was never fully realized.

Nice one. Somewhere, those were the reasons I left WP7 behind. Took Android up and now I am back again. I trust them, and believe in them.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

4hab

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Compared to Android (or iOS) I miss nothing, that would make me move to one of these two eco systems. I'm so, so pleased with Windows Phone, but also I'm not such an app hoarder, I mostly have apps that I also use regularly.

In my eyes Windows Phone does not need such an amount of apps, but what it needs is a better reputation to make it more attractive to popular developers. There are lots of cool games for example, that dont come to WP, or much, much later. But the most essential apps for everyday use (Evernote, dictionaries, maps, tools for project management) are present in the Marketplace and developers are increasingly involving Windows Phone in their portfolio.

The store does not need a higher quantity, but a static, or even rising quality.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs